The Ruger SR22 & Dead Air Mask HD...

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DrewBone, Aug 3, 2020.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

...seems to make for a good combination :)

My approved Form 4 & tax stamp arrived for my Dead Air Mask HD a couple of days ago at my dealer so I decided to try it out on my Ruger SR22; it functioned flawlessly running inexpensive CCI/Blazer 40 grainers, and I'm real impressed with the Mask, it is s-t-u-p-i-d quiet!

20200801_145225.jpg
    20200801_162911.jpg
    20200801_132824.jpg
    20200801_132613.jpg

For those interested in the Form 4 timeline:

Submitted: 01/16/2020
    $200 debited by ATF: 01/23/2020
    Approved: 07/06/2020
    Received: 08/01/2020

Total days: 198 = not too shabby ;)

2. arndog123

arndog123

Did you file as an individual or trust?

Currently waiting approval on a Mask, Occulus and Ruger Silent too.

Also thinking of CGS Siren too. Just not sure about the aluminum baffles.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

I filed as an individual.

Now that I think back I should have purchased others, but I was unsure about what model and manufacturer I was going to go with, and whenever I'm unsure about things - I do nothing.

I'd like to eventually add 9mm, 45, and 5.56 suppressors, as funds allow :D

GlockPride, arndog123 and MCCM like this.
  4. ronin.45

ronin.45

I handled a Siren recently. It is so damn good looking and lightweight.

5. 835mag

835mag

C
    Care to share total cost of the mask, tax stamp and all other associated fees? I haven’t jumped into the suppressor world yet and am curious what the final cost for a similar product is “out the door”

6. arndog123

arndog123

The wait for approval is brutal. It took just shy of a year for my first 2. Currently I’m waiting on 7 cans and hoping/wishing I get a batch approval.

Just like buying firearms it never ends and I’m considering adding a few other cans.

DrewBone likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Sure! My dealer was able to get the Dead Air Armament Mask HD .22 suppressor for me for $380, the tax stamp is of course $200, the required two sets of fingerprints that I had done at the County Sheriff's office cost me $20, and the required two passport photos were taken and provided by a local CVS Pharmacy for around $13-$14. So figure about a little over $600 OTD for the above setup.

My dealer provided the FBI finger print cards and did all the paperwork for me at no charge.

As far as suppressors go, those designed for the .22lr cartridge are the least expensive (which is why I picked one for getting my suppressor feet wet), and as soon as you go centerfire pistol their cost nearly doubles and then some, and go up ever further for centerfire rifle.

It's definately not an inexpensive endeavour to become engaged in, but if you save your money and have patience once the process starts I believe you'll be happy with your new interest :D

pgg00 and 835mag like this.
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

In regards to the wait, I believe that you just have to put it out of your mind, else it'll be like staring at a clock waiting for the entire day to go by!

I know it doesn't help that there seems to be no rhyme or reason for approval times...some wait over a year, others less than 6 months. So you might as well just sit back and get on with other projects to take your mind off of it. And you're waiting on 7 suppressors?! o_O I live on a fixed income and the thought of that is mentally putting me in the poor farm, LOL.

835mag likes this.
  9. MNBud

MNBud

Congrats Drew,
    As we have discussed in the past, I'm still waiting on my approval but fortunately I do get to shoot with mine at my dealers range.
    I will have to go back and see when I submitted mine, ALTHOUGH as you stated it seems there is no rhyme or reason to when they get approved.

DrewBone likes this.
  10. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm about to put my paperwork in for suppressor #7 and stamp #8. The process is a pain, but shooting suppressed is extra fun. We just had a fully suppressed match last weekend and it was nice to not worry about ear protection all day.
    It's even better if you have your own range where you don't have other shooters with loud guns.

DrewBone likes this.
  11. arndog123

arndog123

My Occulus got approved a couple days ago. Exactly 6 months of waiting. Looking forward to shooting with it tomorrow.

Decided to order a Dead Air Wolverine suppressor for my AK’s this morning. Still can’t decide if I want a lightweight 22 can.

DrewBone likes this.
  12. DrewBone

DrewBone

Excellent! You still have a pile left to go but hopefully this latest approval will begin a trend!

I've only just really begun to investigate centerfile pistol and rifle cans. That alone will take about the same time as an approval, LOL, but this is just how I do things.

Enjoy the silence!!

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've decided that lightweight doesn't mean much to me on a rimfire. None of them are really "heavy" and lighter usually means harder to care for.

14. arndog123

arndog123

I remember when I was researching how to buy and which suppressor’s would fit my needs. Spent a lot of time reading reviews and watching YT videos. It was fun but overwhelming at the same time because of so many choices.

Now I’m officially addicted and want to suppress everything. SilencerShop has made purchasing cans really easy, too easy actually. It’s really bad for the bank account. :clown::cheers:

DrewBone likes this.
  15. arndog123

arndog123

The Occulus on my M&P 22 Compact doesn’t really feel that bad. I’d still like to try a lightweight can though.

I agree on the maintenance side of things. Having stainless baffles and being able to toss them in my ultrasonic cleaner is very convenient. Scrubbing aluminum baffles by hand doesn’t sound like fun.

DAW9347 likes this.
  16. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member

You are absolutely correct, it's not fun at all doing a lot of work! Here are my baffles and spacers before:
    [​IMG]
    And then after the solution:
    [​IMG]
    Ultrasonic cleaners can be hard on aluminum, but this method works spectacularly and causes no harm to the suppressor parts. No scrubbing, just gotta set a timer for 15 minutes
    I hate to do this, but if you send me an email or private message here, I''ll tell you what was done. Just don't want a certain "somebody" :crazy: to get involved and cause another argument. :cheers:

pgg00 likes this.
  17. DrewBone

DrewBone

Suppressors with stainless steel baffles defintely are a much better choice(!), especially with rimfire ammunition, to avoid the headaches associated with cleaning aluminum baffles; it's a lightweight metal, but it's porous and too easily attracts lead particles and powder residue. With the stainless steel k-baffle design of the Dead Air Mask HD however, they're easy to clean, and with their raised sections running perpendicular to their outer circumferance they're also much more easily removed from the suppressor tube for cleaning. And thanks to the indexed/stackable baffle design there's no fiddling around with spacers or the need to worry about reversing a baffle;

k-baffle3.jpg

pgg00 likes this.
  18. DrewBone

DrewBone

About how many rounds do you figure went through the suppressor in your image above?

19. pgg00

pgg00

I need to get another one myself

20. DAW9347

DAW9347 Patron Life NRA Member