The role of physical therapy as developed in my lifetime

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by bdcochran, Feb 26, 2019.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

I am retired. The concept of physical therapy received a boost after WW2 because relatively, more people were saved on the battlefield and ended up in physical therapy.

Secondly, with the spread of HMOs wherein a group of doctors would perform all medical procedures for a fixed amount per person per year, it was learned that some savings could be achieved by avoiding surgeries and prescription medications.

I belong to Kaiser and it is spending a lot of money on trained physical therapists. Despite having a 7 day a week physical exercise regimen for years, at the beginning of 2018, I had problems. They included partial tears of the rotator cuffs (I had surgery on both arms years ago). In fact, I went to Kaiser 3 times in 2018 for tweaks to the daily exercise program.

The tears are now repaired, without surgery or medication. Other physical problems have gone away as well.

My last physical therapist was hired away from the VA by Kaiser.

Don't hesitate to ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist.

Tickhill likes this.
  2. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

My status is now retired and due to my back fusion, walking/swimming are going to play a huge part of my everyday routine. Hours of pounding the concrete in the plant that took its toll on my back, I must replace that exercise with walking on surfaces other than concrete. As soon as warm weather gets here it will be swimming, I live within 100 yards of large lake.
    It is amazing how reality changes our ideas of how retirement will actually be!

bdcochran likes this.

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Update. I went to Kaiser physical therapy a week ago for some new exercises. Feel better already. Just needed some rotational exercises.

One of the hardest lessons in life is to learn to seek advice and expertise. I figured it out years ago. If a certified (and not a self anointed ) nutritionist knows more about nutrition than a doctor and a physical therapist knows more than a doctor, go to them.