The Risk of Turkey Fanning

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ramjet38, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

1. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

2. NMG26

NMG26

If you can imagine it, it will be done.

If you can imagine it, you can deny it.

3. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

So much fail.
    1. Roll up to a hunting site with the window down and the music blaring.
    2. Not wearing hunter safety orange in public hunting area.
    3. Point the shotgun in your face, to put on a turkey fan.
    4. The turkey fan would obstruct your vision.
    5. Setting yourself up to get shot.
    6. Inevitably getting shot.

4. deputy tom

deputy tom

Ramjet38 and Steel Head like this.
  5. Brochacho

Brochacho

I wouldn't even do that on my own land.

Ramjet38, janice6 and Kingarthurhk like this.
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Couldn't read the actual article, but I gather from the pic it's immensely stupid.

flyover, larry_minn and Ramjet38 like this.
  7. r3dot

r3dot

I fanned a turkey once. She didn’t like it when I gobbled and flicked her double chin

8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

As I see it, you disguise yourself as a Turkey and then are surprised when someone who is turkey hunting, shoots you..........

That's not much different than Deer Hunting in MN while wearing camo and slinking around the woods. You would be shot and tied to a fender (or whatever it is now days) in the first 5 minutes.

People here have shot a Cow with the word COW painted on its side, then claiming they thought it was a Deer.

When you hunt wild game, the game isn't as big a threat as the other hunters.

9. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Never have I ever even begun to consider wearing orange on a turkey hunt...but I don't wear turkey feathers either.

Jonesee, orangejeep06 and Ramjet38 like this.
  10. 1L26

1L26

That's 4:34 of my life I'll never get back!

Resqu2, JBnTX, Deltic and 2 others like this.
  11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

No relation to Dakota Fanning, I'm sure....
    This makes me worry about what could have happened to that guy in the Sasquatch suit who made that famous video.
    [​IMG]

Rotn1, 1L26 and Ramjet38 like this.
  12. Boogieman

Boogieman

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pretty common, as far as I know. I've watched my brother creep up and kill some like that. We don't hunt around other people we don't know, or on land where strangers can come along, other than trespassers. Even when we hunt on National Guard land, hunters are assigned to areas.

Problem is, hunters give other hunters credit for being hunters. Most are not. I would think, "I'm not shooting at a turkey fan, because how can I shoot him in the head, if I can't see his head." (Not to mention looking at the overall size/age/etc). I don't want #5 shot in a turkey breast I plan to eat. But likewise, when I hear of somebody shooting a hunter, dog, cow, etc., while deer hunting, I wonder what kind of lunatic shoots at a deer without knowing the sex, size or being able to pick a proper aiming point.

I don't even claim to be a "hunter" - I'm a "game shooter" and my brother has the actual hunting skills - scouting, calling, etc. But even I don't shoot at something unless I can tell what I'm shooting at and see the aiming point. Worst mistake I've made is mistaking a button buck for a doe in low light.

Unfortunately, some people seem to hunt by the "fire a gun in the general direction of the game" method and they just hope something fall dead over where they were shooting. I don't get that at all.

14. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

^this
    i was turkey hunting last spring and witnessed a young man take a 100-110 yard shot at a flock of turkeys in a field,both sexes,and of course they scattered but i was thinking "wth is wrong with people ?".Needless to say i packed up and moved on,freakin idiot.

15. Rotn1

Rotn1

Good grief guys........ This can't be real....... Next you will be telling me that Turkeys can fly.

BTW, who lifts those darn things into the trees every night?

Fred Hansen, orangejeep06 and janice6 like this.
  16. Z71bill

Z71bill

17. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

People who can't or don't know how to turkey hunt only have a few other choices.

Ambush, creep up on 'em, bait.

You can't expect this generation to learn to call 'em AND how to shoot in a weekend.

Fred Hansen and orangejeep06 like this.
  18. Brochacho

Brochacho

Many moons ago, the father of a kid in my class took a .30-30 right through the heart. He was on his own land, in camo, hiding in some brush. Some knucklehead was poaching on his land and heard a turkey call, fired one round and killed him.

19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I was a Utah Hunter Education Instructor for 27 years. The class used to be 15 hours split over 6 nights plus a range day with a written test and you had to shoot for a score.

Then an Internet class followed by a field day. Easier test no shooting score.

Now they have no time requirement at all. Just cover some basics, shoot a gun without blowing a finger off and you pass.

All driven by the students. If the state didn’t dumb it down and cut the time to nothing, the kids just wouldn’t take the course.

I’m a teacher. I want to teach hunting and related skills. I couldn’t hand out Hunter Ed Blue Cards just because some kid played with an iPad for a couple of hours.

Fred Hansen, orangejeep06 and Rotn1 like this.
  20. RustyL

RustyL

Gotta know your target. Ain’t no way in hell I’d do that. I’ve read about it a lot.

Heck last week I’m about 200 yards into the woods, I can still see my truck. A guy parks right behind my truck, he gets out and starts suiting up. I let out a couple of yelps with my box call, he even looked my way. So here he is walking my way, I yelp some more, keeps walking towards me. Finally I just yelled hey I’m over here don’t shoot me. He heard my yelps.
    That’s what I hate about public land and he has every right to be there but damn dude why did you walk in on me and screw my morning up?

I’ve seen guys running towards gobbling birds as though if they are going walk up on them and wring their necks.