Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that 180gr .40 caliber loads are not the best load for the .40, and should be 165gr. Anybody know what the best load/ammo is?
thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Any of the following rounds are considered best for this cartridge. Buy the one you have access to, shoot well, and feeds well in your weapon; then stop worrying about subtle differences in performance and practice until you are an expert.

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

·
"The Sarge"
758 Posts
The 40 S&W, desending from the 10mm, was orginally designed as a 180gr JHP for law enforcement applications. You can "hear" a lot of things and a lot of things are said, mostly from personal opinion. The 180gr 40 works just fine. I carry the 180gr Federal HST. Bill

·
Registered
35,941 Posts
No such thing as "best". It was designed around the 180gr as noted, runs fine on that, but other bullet wts are very popular. Just like every other service round, each shooter will have their own preference.

·
Armed Citizen
769 Posts
No such thing as "best". It was designed around the 180gr as noted, runs fine on that, but other bullet wts are very popular. Just like every other service round, each shooter will have their own preference.
Agreed... no such thing as "THE" best. Any from the list above are a good choice.

I use 180 HST.

·
Banned
10,639 Posts
I carry 165gr jhp's in my G22. The 165gr loads IMO are the best .40 loads for self defense. Velocity with decent weight and good expansion:wavey:

·
USMC Veteran & NRA Life Member
496 Posts
I use Remington Express 155 grain which travels at a muzzle velocity of 1200
feet per second out of my Sig 229!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have a bunch of the 155gr GD from when I could stockpile it for $12/box of 50.
It is HOT.

It and the 180 HST are on "the List".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new at this, but I use both 180gr FMJ for the range and 180gr JHP for defense.

One report I saw showed that the 180gr JHP bullet went slower, but penetrated deeper and made a bigger hole. And, they were the same price, so I got the bigger bullet. If the 165gr was a lot cheaper, I would have went that way.

Here's a link to the report. It's a very old report:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/40s&w.htm

I don't think it matters. I'd buy whatever is cheapest. Hit someone with a few rounds of hollow point and I think the results would speak for themselves. But, I of course hope I never have to do that. I'll be happy if my defense bullets sit around forever, unused (or maybe spent at the range if I feel the need to get new ones if these get too old).

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It seems that a lot of data sheets deduce that 180gr 40 S&W is the "best" loading. By that I mean if you look at expansion, penetration as your indicators to conclude the weight that has the best traits for wounding. 180s typically open up slightly bigger and penetrate deeper than its lighter weight counterparts. That being said, a lot of those same tests portray the basic 9mm loading as being either better than, or so close to larger calibers that the upgrade to a larger caliber or hotter loading seem to be counter intuitive.

See this link, there are others very much like it from other ammo manufacturers:

http://www.kelvrick.com/rangerchart.jpg

That being said I shoot stuff the lab data doesn't tend to support. Like .357sig and 165gr .40S&W and +p+ 9mm. All of which when looking at ballistic tables seem to have a better option. My thoughts on that is looking at real world occurances .357sig has a great performance record although limited in sample size. lighter 40 rounds typically produce larger a grater wound channel by volume as do hot light 9mm bullets when compared to heavier slower loadings with greater penetration.

I am one of those guys who still believes shock imparted by meager handgun rounds is something you'd notice if you were on the receiving end of the equation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info from everyone who posted. I will try a variety of ammo to see what is best for me. firearms used are g22 (4.49" bbl) and beretta px4 storm (4.02" bbl).

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Firearms used are g22 (4.49" bbl) and beretta px4 storm (4.02" bbl).
You'll be good to go with any bullet weight you choose. I prefer 135gr and 155gr, while others prefer 180gr and 200gr. Oh yeah, and some do like 165gr. Choose what you like or fits the budget and have fun!

Good Shooting,
Craig

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but my father recently told me about what they used to do in the field with their bullets. He was in the Army for 20 years and did two tours (or maybe more, don't remember) of Vietnam. He said they would take their knives and cut X-s in the top of the bullets, thus allowing them to mushroom on impact. I'm not sure if they had hollow points at that time, but if not then this was some of the earlier "field testing" of hollow point type bullets I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts