The Remington 700 show.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Brian Lee, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

In case you've not seen it, that thing about the Remington 700 is on tonight. It's coming on CNBC in Arizona in about 3 minutes - meaning 10:00 PM.

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I saw it last week. Lots of bad gun handling skills. The guy on the intro even had his finger on the trigger.

It looks like there is a problem with the 700, but that doesn't explain how the guy shot himself in the foot, or the arm, or his wife in the abdomen.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

3. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Now that I've seen & seen Remington's responses, I'm not too impressed with CNBC.

Remington has several response video's up for viewing here.

http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

My own 700 BDL, made in 1975, never had a problem and I wish I still had it. If I did, I'd simply inspect it to make sure it doesn't go off accidentally, and even if it didn't, I'd still treat it like an AD is always a possibility, because that's how you are supposed to treat ALL guns anyway. I certainly would not stop using it.

Once you get a precedent set in court from a single incident, the flood gates are opened for every body to blame their own recklessness on the gun, instead of on their own inattentiveness to where the gun is pointed.

4. hoosier#17

hoosier#17

Yes, poor muzzle control. CNBC's a joke, but to their credit they did'nt paint gunowners as the classic stereotype.

5. BSA70

BSA70

The media has never been known to be nice to guns. But it is obvious the gun has problems. Military and several LE agency show credibility in the complaint. I would not buy one unless it had the updated trigger assembly. Yeah, common sense safety could have prevented most injuries, but the gun should not be going off in that way.

6. NCFlyfisher

NCFlyfisher

And now this report has made You-Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Has Remmington made any subsequent design changes to that model? HH

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yes. In 1982 they eliminated the bolt lock, a feature that require taking the safety off to open the bolt. In 2007 they came out with a new trigger design, the X-Mark Pro.

9. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott "Gary" is now a part of my past

I watched the CNBC report about a month ago and probably the most damaging comments were those of Mike Walker, the retired designer from Remington. This Remington video does not address his comments that he had pointed out the possibility of problems with the trigger mechanism. All the PR video does is state that he retired in 1975 so he has no knowledge of current manufacturing processes. Without providing a detailed rebuttal of what Walker had to say you have to wonder why Remington didn't go deeply into his comments in their video.

10. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

Walker sealed my opinion on the matter - any company that knowingly puts our soldiers in harms way when it was an easy and very cost effective fix (back when originally discovered) upsets me beyond all belief. The fix had some silly number like .05 cents to correct (I made up the .05) but did nothing but put out vids and pr

11. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

In a couple years NBC will dredge up the crap again and get the same reaction, again.

This is old new folks. Remington removed the bolt lock back in '82 so you don't have to take the rifle off safe to unload the rifle. Don't adjust your trigger too light, keep the rifle clean, keep your finger off the trigger unless you are going to fire and above all else, don't point your weapon at something you aren't willing to destroy.

It really is that simple.

12. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

My BDL and I safely made it through the field and stand in the rain yesterday and yet again it didn't kill a busload of nuns or blow up a nursery school.

13. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

We have owned dozens of 700's over the last 30 years, and have customized at least as many and never had a single issue other than when we adjusted the factory trigger to a dangerous level which is of no fault of Remington... I wanted to ***** slap those people on the video and ask them "why the f'n hell was loaded weapon pointed toward something it shouldn't"... I feel for their losses, but get f'n real... The next thing the a-holes are gonna want is a camera eye on the rifles that prevent them from firing if there is anything in front of it... It'll soot fine as long as you pointing at the clear blue sky...

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Dude, you may be on to something. I'm going to let my elected officials know that something like this might be possible. :rofl:

15. DonMcnut

DonMcnut

The videos from the various military and SWAT teams did it for me. To watch a SWAT sniper shoot a few rounds and then very clearly fire the weapon by simply touching the bolt sealed the deal.

16. Resqu2

Resqu2

I think it was five cents back then. They claimed it was already over budget so they wouldn't add the five cents :wow: bet the wish they had now, I think one claim alone was like 17 million.