21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Reactions: CAcop

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
From what I have read, Chicago is like NYC and dem-run cities on the left coast in that taxpayers are leaving at an alarming pace, which is only going to accelerate the downward spiral.

·
Massive Member
26,060 Posts
Did you forget a 1 in front of that 2000, meaning 12,000 in Chicago? You can’t really be down to 2,000.
I think he meant they lost almost 2000 officers... They are that many below normal staffing levels.

ETA:. Asked and answered already, need to read all the way through before responding

Randy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Our highest numbers 13500. Those dwindled to about 12500-12300 under the the first restructure plan of just not hiring anyone under Rahm.

we are currently around 10500.

With the elimination of her pen , and the current over 1400 immediate budgeted allowed vacancies that brings us to right about 2k short (yes I understand the positions she eliminated due to the defund movement dont technically count, but those positions were just renamed as they plan on budgeting civilian social and mental health workers with those dollars saved )

less than 100 in the academy.

Factor in the possible retirements and that number gets extremely sketchy. We are currently running skeleton crews with on average 4-6 beat cars in 18 of the 23 districts unmanned each shift.

there is big talk of moving to the 12h shift schedule to cover the huge manpower shortage , the surgery was just sent requesting we vote on 1 of 3 12 schedule blocks. If that buyout goes through it will be scary.
there is nothing wrong with 12's, they are the norm here in the south. I would not want to work any other schedule save for maybe 4x10's. but the beauty of 12's is, set days off, and every other weekend, a 3 day weekend. and I love working weekends too, they are my favorite days to work. week days suck, period. I always fantasize about a 4x10 schedule, th/fri/sat/sun, 2p to 2a. I'd love that.

it is kind of strange for a big city pd to be going to that though. you always hear of these big agencies running 8s or 10s. never 12s. 12s are more for agencies that do not have the manpower for that coverage and overlap. I imagine running a 12 in chi town will result in a lot of burn out. those poor guys probably work more in a 8 hr shift than we do down here in a week of 12s.

you say you're considering 3 different 12 hr rotations, I was unaware of more than one? I'm all ears, always enjoy hearing how other guys work. Here, it is a set 12 hr, usually 6 or 7A to 6 or 7P. you work a monday and tuesday, off a wednesday thursday. work a fri/sat/sun, off a mon/tues. work a wed/thurs, off fri/sat/sun. usually, agencies around here are on a 2 week rotation, or 4 week rotation, of days to night shift. so you are always "switching" on that long 3 day weekend.

·
Registered
33,781 Posts
there is nothing wrong with 12's, they are the norm here in the south. I would not want to work any other schedule save for maybe 4x10's. but the beauty of 12's is, set days off, and every other weekend, a 3 day weekend. and I love working weekends too, they are my favorite days to work. week days suck, period. I always fantasize about a 4x10 schedule, th/fri/sat/sun, 2p to 2a. I'd love that.

it is kind of strange for a big city pd to be going to that though. you always hear of these big agencies running 8s or 10s. never 12s. 12s are more for agencies that do not have the manpower for that coverage and overlap. I imagine running a 12 in chi town will result in a lot of burn out. those poor guys probably work more in a 8 hr shift than we do down here in a week of 12s.

you say you're considering 3 different 12 hr rotations, I was unaware of more than one? I'm all ears, always enjoy hearing how other guys work. Here, it is a set 12 hr, usually 6 or 7A to 6 or 7P. you work a monday and tuesday, off a wednesday thursday. work a fri/sat/sun, off a mon/tues. work a wed/thurs, off fri/sat/sun. usually, agencies around here are on a 2 week rotation, or 4 week rotation, of days to night shift. so you are always "switching" on that long 3 day weekend.
In the Bay Area a lot of 12 hour shift agencies used a swing shift to help out night shift with bars closing and just putting everyone to bed in all but the smallest towns. Usually 3 to 3.

·
Registered
22,903 Posts

When i did 12s we did a 3/4 plan. You work 84 hours every 2 weeks. You work 3 days then have 4 days off then work 4 days and have 3 days off. I'd rather work that then 8s or 10s.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
When i did 12s we did a 3/4 plan. You work 84 hours every 2 weeks. You work 3 days then have 4 days off then work 4 days and have 3 days off. I'd rather work that then 8s or 10s.
that's interesting. that 4th day is a killer, though.

·
NRA4EVR
11,969 Posts
We were on 4-10s. There was a chance to go to the Pitman schedule but it got shot down, much to my chagrin. Two-week rotation of 12s, every other Friday through Sunday off, never more than three days in a row on. We would have run three shifts - 7-7s and 3-3, with shift bid coming every six months. That would have been a sweet schedule.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
We were on 4-10s. There was a chance to go to the Pitman schedule but it got shot down, much to my chagrin. Two-week rotation of 12s, every other Friday through Sunday off, never more than three days in a row on. We would have run three shifts - 7-7s and 3-3, with shift bid coming every six months. That would have been a sweet schedule.

We have been trying to do this for years. The unfortunate thing is the courts absolutely will not work or compromise with us.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Do Chicago Officers have the option for a cash out when they retire?

It would really worry me to retire at $4500 a month (pick a number) and watch it go bankrupt in a year or two.

I’d rather grab all I could and run.
That's always been my worry- here in TX, SAPD has a sweethaert pension deal, locked in and agreed to, but in the next 5-10 years will bankrupt the city feeding it. City manager tried to break it, PD lawyers ran her off, city voted to "defund" the police, which was really a revision to the pension payment plan, it lost and the city continues to put money into their agreement- till they can't- Taxes will skyrocket for the citizens in San Antonio, only because the PD union threatened to "blue flu" anytime someone said revision- always wondered why the city didn't pony up for some good lawyers, really screwed themselves -

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
Do Chicago Officers have the option for a cash out when they retire?

It would really worry me to retire at $4500 a month (pick a number) and watch it go bankrupt in a year or two.

I’d rather grab all I could and run.
Exactly….so what’s the point to staying and hope you survive your career? If you get convicted of a trumped up charge their goes the retirement too. At some point “staying” isn’t an intelligent decision.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I’m fortunate. I retired under TMRS. One of the most secure and solvent pensions around. Never gonna get rich. But, the check shows up every month.

Buddies of mine retired from Dallas. Where the Drop program “guaranteed” you could retire a millionaire.

Some grabbed the cash and ran. Some stuck around and now, get an annuity.

And, it may further collapse.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
We all here know the grim reality of the applicant pool these days. Just thought I’d share our most recent hiring exam statistics.

800 people showed up to the first written exam . 264 actually passed. That 264 number doesn’t include the Polygraph , background check or psychological assessment phases. These tests used to attract over 10,000 applicants

we are current down just under 2000 officers ( well more but the defend the police movement had the mayor eliminate positions in her budget in order to reduce total manpower targets).
We graduated 70 in he past 14 months while the last 2 months over 220 have put in papers to retire. and over 170 have lateraled out.

Rumor has it a buyout is about to occur as an expired 4 yr contract is about to be signed and approved in which the city is rumored to offer a buyout those officers 50-55. By dangling healthcare coverage.

Those are some extremely scary numbers. Not only for the safety of the citizens , but also for those heading down the line for a pension fund currently funded at 29% because the city didn’t pays their portion for over 12 yrs.

I guess 14 weeks with over 100 shot a week is perfectly acceptable under Beetljuice.
There's not much hope for a city when there are more thugs than cops.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
We have been trying to do this for years. The unfortunate thing is the courts absolutely will not work or compromise with us.
what exactly is their issue? it is what we are all on here, from municipal to county to state.

I've no experience w/ municipal court, but here, deputies and troopers have court tuesdays and thursdays.

One Monday a month are always jury trial jury selection days, etc.with trials peppered in throughout that week.
I think wednesday and friday they do civil type stuff.

Our court is always on a work day, of day shift. it's pretty easy. you may get a fluke case or two assigned you'd previously continued on the morning after working a night shift, but that's a court "oops." But as for straight up having court on days off, we do not do that here. besides preliminary hearings.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I worked that schedule, including nights and days, for well over 20 years. I liked it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts