Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all here know the grim reality of the applicant pool these days. Just thought I’d share our most recent hiring exam statistics.

800 people showed up to the first written exam . 264 actually passed. That 264 number doesn’t include the Polygraph , background check or psychological assessment phases. These tests used to attract over 10,000 applicants

we are current down just under 2000 officers ( well more but the defend the police movement had the mayor eliminate positions in her budget in order to reduce total manpower targets).
We graduated 70 in he past 14 months while the last 2 months over 220 have put in papers to retire. and over 170 have lateraled out.

Rumor has it a buyout is about to occur as an expired 4 yr contract is about to be signed and approved in which the city is rumored to offer a buyout those officers 50-55. By dangling healthcare coverage.

Those are some extremely scary numbers. Not only for the safety of the citizens , but also for those heading down the line for a pension fund currently funded at 29% because the city didn’t pays their portion for over 12 yrs.

I guess 14 weeks with over 100 shot a week is perfectly acceptable under Beetljuice.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
11,857 Posts
We all here know the grim reality of the applicant pool these days. Just thought I’d share our most recent hiring exam statistics.

800 people showed up to the first written exam . 264 actually passed. That 264 number doesn’t include the Polygraph , background check or psychological assessment phases. These tests used to attract over 10,000 applicants

we are current down just under 2000 officers ( well more but the defend the police movement had the mayor eliminate positions in her budget in order to reduce total manpower targets).
We graduated 70 in he past 14 months while the last 2 months over 220 have put in papers to retire. and over 170 have lateraled out.

Rumor has it a buyout is about to occur as an expired 4 yr contract is about to be signed and approved in which the city is rumored to offer a buyout those officers 50-55. By dangling healthcare coverage.

Those are some extremely scary numbers. Not only for the safety of the citizens , but also for those heading down the line for a pension fund currently funded at 29% because the city didn’t pays their portion for over 12 yrs.

I guess 14 weeks with over 100 shot a week is perfectly acceptable under Beetljuice.
It's all about getting your mind right...you can only handle one call at a time...and with that staffing shortage, there should not be Any fluff calls or self initiated activity...if it takes an hour to respond, so be it...you work em one at a time, and the rest hold... ironically, many calls will resolve themselves after waiting an hour + for a unit...the Real losers here are the good citizens of Chicago (if any still remain)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Did you forget a 1 in front of that 2000, meaning 12,000 in Chicago? You can’t really be down to 2,000.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Chicago will feel some real pain over this before they decide they have to do something. By that time, it may too late.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,099 Posts
Did you forget a 1 in front of that 2000, meaning 12,000 in Chicago? You can’t really be down to 2,000.
I read it as they were 2,000 people short. Not down to 2,000 people.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Chicago has just over 11,000 sworn officers. That's down, as the OP said by more than 2,000.

As recently as two years ago, the then-Superintendent Eddie Johnson publicly insisted the city had 13,500 officers. Everyone who had been paying attention knew he was lying, but the news media never called him out. That is, until he got caught drunk and passed out behind the wheel of his official vehicle after spending the evening tossing back drinks at a downtown restaurant with his side piece.

I feel sorry for the rank-and-file of the CPD.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Our highest numbers 13500. Those dwindled to about 12500-12300 under the the first restructure plan of just not hiring anyone under Rahm.

we are currently around 10500.

With the elimination of her pen , and the current over 1400 immediate budgeted allowed vacancies that brings us to right about 2k short (yes I understand the positions she eliminated due to the defund movement dont technically count, but those positions were just renamed as they plan on budgeting civilian social and mental health workers with those dollars saved )

less than 100 in the academy.

Factor in the possible retirements and that number gets extremely sketchy. We are currently running skeleton crews with on average 4-6 beat cars in 18 of the 23 districts unmanned each shift.

there is big talk of moving to the 12h shift schedule to cover the huge manpower shortage , the surgery was just sent requesting we vote on 1 of 3 12 schedule blocks. If that buyout goes through it will be scary.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all about getting your mind right...you can only handle one call at a time...and with that staffing shortage, there should not be Any fluff calls or self initiated activity...if it takes an hour to respond, so be it...you work em one at a time, and the rest hold... ironically, many calls will resolve themselves after waiting an hour + for a unit...the Real losers here are the good citizens of Chicago (if any still remain)
That’s basically what is occurring. Downtown is completely lost. It looks like the projects on the weekends filled with carloads of gangbangers lining the streets of the gold coast , river north , and millennium park areas drinking , drinking , smoking weed , fighting and shooting each other. While groups run robbery and carjacking sprees

·
AK-74
2,721 Posts
WOW a lot of Butt fwuckery in Chi -Town now. EVEN the Blues Brothers knew when to get out.When they get to 8,000 officers. the fun will begin. AND IT WILL JUST WAIT.

Car Building Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
If you want to see what's happening now in the city as a result of the ever-worsening shortage of officers, visit www.CWBChicago.com.

For the unfamiliar, CWB originally stood for "Crime in Wrigleyville & Boystown," two northside neighborhoods about which the media more or less stopped reporting crime.

The website was started by a few frustrated residents who wanted to get word out about local crime. The site became so popular, and demand became so great, the area they cover eventually expanded to include everything between the South Loop and Rogers Park on the north, and from the lakefront to the Kennedy Expressway on the west.

The pattern that quickly emerges is that the State's Attorney Kim Foxx, former Chief of Staff and perennial puppet of the omnipotent Cook County Board President (& Cook County Democratic Party chair) Toni Preckwinkle, won't prosecute criminals. Likewise, Cook County Chief Judge (& former colleague of Toni Preckwinkle when they were Aldermen together in the Chicago City Council) Timothy Evans, spread word among his judges that those who did not get behind Preckwinkle's Low Bail/No Bail initiative would lose their endorsement from the Cook County Democratic Party, dooming the judges' re-election bid.

Chief Judge Evans announced the Low Bail/No Bail policy in September 2017. At that time, the population of the Cook County Jail - officially declared "overcrowded" by a federal judge - numbered 10,000 inmates. By November 2017, the population had fallen so quickly the County closed an entire wing of the jail. By May 2018, the number of inmates had fallen to just 5,800 - about where it remains today - allowing the closure of a second wing.

Maybe those 4,200 released inmates all reformed their ways and became Boy Scouts. But judging by the news reports at www.CWBChicago.com, it doesn't appear so.

Stay safe, everyone.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And the recruits that they are hiring are scraping the bottom of the barrel too I bet. Same thing is happening here in NYC with the NYPD. Experienced street cops are retiring by the hundreds to be replaced by "diversity hires" with drug convictions....what could go wrong?

I think that the people of Chicago, NYC, etc are going to get exactly what the deserve by voting for leftist racist Mayors like Lighfoot, and communists like DeBlasio and AOC.

Maybe when these big Cities REALLY turn to crap, then these smarter-than-us, WOKE Leftists, will change their ideologies when they themselves get bit in the ass

·
NRA Life Member
1,167 Posts
Maybe when these big Cities REALLY turn to crap, then these smarter-than-us, WOKE Leftists, will change their ideologies when they themselves get bit in the ass
Not likely that they will be hurt since they will probably have tax payer funded "security"................

·
You Breed 'Em, YOU Feed 'Em!
1,247 Posts
I hope those guys and gals take the buyout once it becomes official. Time to GTFOutta there and let nature take its course
Im starting to think the Purge movies were a preview of big inner cities in America.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
but also for those heading down the line for a pension fund currently funded at 29% because the city didn’t pays their portion for over 12 yrs.
Do Chicago Officers have the option for a cash out when they retire?

It would really worry me to retire at $4500 a month (pick a number) and watch it go bankrupt in a year or two.

I’d rather grab all I could and run.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts