Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bottom line is this:

Here in the U.S., you have a population that hasn’t faced a REAL threat that actually came to pass in 2-3 generations. There have been ups and downs, but they only seemed big in the context of a safe, prosperous society.

Now that safety blanket has been taken away, and some people, largely the political class and government-dependent liberals, can’t handle the dangerous new world we’re in.

They are still counting on some magical solution from the government or the medical community to solve this problem so that they can go back to their safe space, worrying about transgendered bathroom issues.

The reality is, no help is coming.

Medicine might eventually invent a vaccine/treatment that reduces severity, but no protection from this virus is going to be invented.

Some reports are even coming out that recovering from CoVid-19 does NOT make you immune in the future. I could see this as there are already 30+ strains out there. You might develop resistance to one, but get hit by another. The same way the Cold virus has been working for centuries.

CoVid-19 isn’t going anywhere.

There’s a real possibility we will see expected lifetimes drop as every year CoVid-19 comes through and culls the weak and the elderly. The death rate will drop over time as the population becomes stronger through the process of elimination, but people will still die.

Long term killers like diabetes, obesity, immunodeficiency, lung problems, etc will become more short term killers as CoVid-19 sweeps through the population every year.

For decades, medicine has been able to prolong the lives of people who a century ago would have died. CoVid-19 is going to reduce the number of situations in which that can happen.

·
Registered
31,788 Posts
The 30+ strains thing doesn't mean anything, they are tiny variations.

There is no evidence a vaccine cannot and will not work.

·
Registered
10,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 30+ strains thing doesn't mean anything, they are tiny variations.

There is no evidence a vaccine cannot and will not work.
We’ve never developed a successful immunity vaccine for any virus from the Coronavirus family.

What evidence is there that this one will be different?

·
Registered
236 Posts
All forms of life from the largest whales to the microorganisms fight for life on our planet. Survival of the fittest will prevail and course corrections will happen. Enjoy everyday as it may be your last.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
BE SMART
MOSTLY...
The type of masks available locally only protect OTHER PEOPLE
Keep out of crowds
Wash your hands.. a lot with soap
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE..what else?

·
Who, me?
1,174 Posts
There hasn’t been a need to until now.
We've been trying to develop a vaccine for the "common cold" for over 50 years. Approximately 20% of colds are due to corona viruses. Not to mention SARS, and MERS, which have been with us for over 10 years.

Folks who think that we're going to magically create a covid19 vaccine within 18 months are delusional. Or dishonest.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
We've been trying to develop a vaccine for the "common cold" for over 50 years. Approximately 20% of colds are due to corona viruses. Not to mention SARS, and MERS, which have been with us for over 10 years.

Folks who think that we're going to magically create a covid19 vaccine within 18 months are delusional. Or dishonest.
Those trials were put on the back burner as SARS and MERS were contained and the common cold Coronavirus is a mere annoyance and a huge money maker. Even Coronavirus NL63, a nasty and potentially deadly one, is a money maker.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
I will be glad when this is over and all of the internet certified virologists and vaccine experts can go back their former fields of scholarship...
We are all learning a lot. Maybe more kids will want to go into virology after this. When I'm not spouting off about viruses I'm a machinist.

What do you do thespork?

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
I know little about any virus.. we did well against smallpox and several other killers.. but it took years and years to get a vaccine and get people treated.

Democrats shutting down businesses and blaming trump for what has not been done for 50 years makes no sense to me. Hindsight will find trump did as well as he could have done... clinton and obama and ford and others have done nothing. California and new york governors have been irresponsible for years..

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
We are all learning a lot. Maybe more kids will want to go into virology after this. When I'm not spouting off about viruses I'm a machinist.

What do you do thespork?
I'm a software architect. I double majored in computer science and biology...
But that was years ago...

What you won't see me doing is making proclamations about whether or not a vaccine can be made, or that certain untested treatments are or are not effective, or any other things that are way out of my depth...

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
CoVid-19 isn’t going anywhere.
Many of us are card-carrying members of the Chicken Little society. The same compulsion to carry a gun is also what makes us incessantly prognosticate doom and gloom on GT. And this was happening long before the Chinese virus with Hillary, Mexicans, gun laws, Trump, etc. Daily warnings of impending doom that never quite reached fruition. The prophesied evil was always just around the corner, but never quite got here. Its a congenital illness of gun guys. Leftists do it too, with decades of warnings about global cooling or warming or "change" which are equally inane and vacuous. Humans tend to fear the future. Paul of Taurus spoke of this in the first century, referring to men who grieve because they have no hope.

But here is an alternative end to the Chinese virus grounded in history and evidence rather than fear. The current virus will give most of us immunity, and sadly will kill some of the elderly and the fatties. And then it will disappear. This is exactly what happened with the Spanish flu in 1918-19, except that the Spanish flu targeted young adults rather than the elderly.

"By the summer of 1919, the flu pandemic came to an end, as those that were infected either died or developed immunity."

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic#section_13

So there is real hope, and its foundation is rationalism rather than fear. This season in world history will soon pass away.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
BE SMART
MOSTLY...
The type of masks available locally only protect OTHER PEOPLE
Keep out of crowds
Wash your hands.. a lot with soap
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE..what else?
Or be a hermit, it’s simpler and hobnobing with my fellow human is way overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Or, since the deaths are attributed to people with major underlying conditions, just develop cures for those. Especially pneumonia since that is generally the real cause of death!!

Oh yeah, weve been trying but we aren't that smart yet!!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I need a whole lot more proof on how things will play out, than internet speculation. Right now nobody knows for sure, even the so called experts who have already been wrong on many thinks about COVID-19.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts