close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The real difference between liberal states and Conservative States

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Oct 5, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The real difference between Conservative States and Liberal States in America is this.....In a Liberal State the state is crime laden and there are few nice places. In a Conservative State there are many nice places and a few bad places. :whistling:

Do you guys agree?

2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Need stats.:whistling:

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

People who say such things probably have not been a lot of places. I understand some people dont care about culture(other cultures) society, cities, whatever isnt their happy little world....

But, some of the nicest, wealthiest, most cultured, most intersting, and flat out fun places are pretty liberal. Austin, Seattle and San Francisco come to mind. Hell, the whole State of California is simply a wonderful and amazing place. New England is awesome, Orgeon, Washington State...stunning.

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I am talking about crime, Rabbi. One of the most beautiful states in the Us is Virginia. But we do have some "bad places". Californey is a beautiful state but the people are not so pretty..not like tv shows...:rofl:I hate overdeveloped areas in all countries. Too much trash etc.

5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I don't have stats but my personal experience reflects this for the most part.

Youngstown Ohio, controlled by Liberal Democrats and is one big (insert bad word here) hole!

6. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Not at all.

Crime is a problem that can be managed. It depends on a lot of factors.

What you COULD say is that the more developed an area is, the more services are provided, the more liberal the constituents tend to be.

8. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Yea lemme tell you, New England is rough.

:rofl:

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Not at all.

The most populated cities in the states are full of crime and liberals. It's actually the opposite of your post, in my state at least, whereas the majority of the state itself has low crime and is full of conservative ways, but the liberal s--t hole cities are more populated, thus they have more voters.

10. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

That's been my experience. I worked in Baltimore, Miami, Dallas, and New Orleans. In every one of them, crime was out of control, but in many of the smaller, more rural areas, life was nice.

The big difference I saw in living in liberal areas was that they taxed the bejesus out of you for everything, and regulated everything to death (just outside of Annapolis, MD, where I lived for five years, they actually checked to make sure you were putting out recyclables in the bin, and would reportedly fine you if you didn't put any in).

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Nope. Not at all.

It's hard to do a mathematically rigorous correlation, because it's hard to quantify the degree of "liberalness" of a state, so I'll just grab a few examples.

Alaska, which is pretty much as "conservative" as states get by the definition I think you meant, had a per-capita violent crime rate 40% higher than the national average. New Hampshire's crime rate is 65% lower than the national average, and it's a very liberal state.

But then you look at another pair of states: Wyoming's crime rate is almost 50% lower than the national average, and California's is 8% higher.

Your statement isn't even "oversimplified" it's just wrong.

12. devildog2067

devildog2067

Selection bias. You were a federal agent (I assume, based on the screen name) and you saw lots of crime. But big cities also have lots of people in them, and most of those people are never involved in a crime.

13. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Of course they're not. But, that doesn't change the fact that all four of those cities had extremely high murder rates and crime rates.

Baltimore was the worst. I actually saw two people shot and killed, while on surveillance, in incidents that had nothing to do with what we were doing. If you sat anywhere long enough, you would see a serious crime. New Orleans wasn't much better.

And, nothing happened to people who got arrested in Baltimore. It was as close to anarchy as I think a city could get (although guys I know who worked Detroit, too, said it was actually worse than Baltimore).

And, cities don't get much more liberal than Baltimore.

But, I also worked in the suburbs of these cities, too. And, they weren't nearly as bad (in fact, it was funny that many of the larger drug dealers lived in the suburbs, but dealt their dope in the cities). We all commuted to work. :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  14. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

:rofl::rofl:

I live in Arkansas which is liberal, has a St. Gov't that is controlled by Dems and is fairly crime free.

Sure, we have a few "rough" areas but a lot of the state has very little crime.

Plus since our state is controlled by Democrats we have a balanced budget and have not had the problems that some states have had.

White trash trailer park rednecks vote (R) in the Presidential Election but live their lives very liberal.

15. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I think the initial premise is hard to justify. Define a liberal vs. a conservative state? Most states are varying shades of purple. Unless you can produce a state that has overwhelming conservative or liberal victories in popular vote year after year, it is difficult to claim any place as one or the other.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

They do, although they're not at the top of the rankings by any means. Miami and Baltimore are quite high (according to the 2010 FBI UCR numbers) but Memphis, St. Louis, Oakland, and Detroit are higher.

Oddly (I was surprised, at any rate, when I looked) New Orleans and Dallas have fairly low crime rates compared to the worst offenders, with rates roughly half of Memphis. Still substantially higher than the national average, of course, but I was surprised to see they were that low.

17. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I believe South Carolina has the highest crime rate in the country, but it's always leaning right.

CT overall has a very low crime rate, although we have some really bad inner cities(Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford). Stay out of those and there isn't too much crime.

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

Actually, the violent crime rate in Arkansas is 10% higher than the national average.

19. eruby

eruby

A liberal State is just a conservative State that hasn't been mugged yet. :supergrin:

20. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Liberal States have nice areas because many times they are the “cash registers” of the Nation or State (Washington DC) or due to advantageous to business locations like the East or West Coast.

That said people vote with their feet. They vote for freedom.

Take City Line Avenue in Philly; guess which side of the street is a slum? Liberalism illustrated.