close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The quality of Remington 22LR is.........

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by M2 Carbine, Jan 28, 2010.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

.....getting worse.

Having a SIG 522, S&W M&P 15-22 and several other 22 semi auto guns I do a lot of 22 shooting.
    Due to the volume of shooting, I have to mostly use the inexpensive Wal Mart Federal and Remington 550 bulk packs.
    Now I know you shouldn't expect the same quality from the cheap stuff as the high price spread but the Remington is getting ridiculous.

Duds are fairly common with Federal and Remington 22LR, mostly Remington, but yesterday was exceptionally bad.
    I ran about 30 rounds of Remington through a Browning Buckmark, along with 20-30 rounds of Federal. No problem with the Federal. Three duds with the Remington. The Remington also jams feeding in the Buckmark.

Then I ran two mags (48 rounds) through the S&W M&P. Ten duds but two rounds fired on the second try when the case was turned and shot again.

For some time now when I get a dud I try to fire the shell again after turning it so the firing pin hits a different spot. Maybe one out of 15-20 rounds will fire. This demonstrates that there was at least some primer in the rim.
    I also pull the bullets and look for primer in the base/rim of the case. Always there is none. Thus showing the poor quality control during manufacture.

I put the dud brass in a pill bottle. Yesterday I noticed I have to get a bigger bottle.

Years ago a 22 misfire was almost unheard of. If it happened at all it was from a light firing pin strike.

I would just stop buying Remington but a couple of my guns feed and shoot it much better than Federal.

2. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

Yea Ive notice remington is making some pretty crappy stuff. I have a smith 22A, and will get several misfires and jams exclusively with remington ammo. I dont do a whole lot of 22 shooting, and right now im stuck with a couple of boxes of the stuff as being my only 22 ammo I have...definitely need to go buy some better stuff and shoot this crap up (if it will go bang).

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Back when I was in highschool (pre 1972) I bought a couple of boxes of Remington .22s and found that my 10-22 would not extract them, the rims were more rounded than the CCI ammo I usually used and the extractor just slipped off. Haven't bothered with them since. I think I have some Remington 180gr .30-06 around somewhere and some shotgun shells, but haven't bought any Remington .22s in 40 years or so. I have to wonder though after the double charged Winchester .22s and now this report, are they making or buying their .22 ammo?

4. bac1023

bac1023

Remington high velocity is the ammo I use in my P22, as it seems to need the hotter stuff to be reliable.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Last year a friend bought a nice bolt action .223.
    He also bought 6 boxes of Remington Green box .223 JSP.

We almost went crazy trying to sight in that rifle. It would put a couple shots MOA then the next couple shots would hit randomly 2-4 inches away.
    We about called it a bad scope. I said let me try once more. Same thing this time but we heard a difference in the sound between rounds.
    I said, I think this ammo is bad. I handed my friend some of my reloads and right away he and the gun were shooting MOA.

I used to be a big fan of Remington ammo but no more I'm afraid.

6. mteagle1

mteagle1

Yes it is junk but they call it bulk pack for a reason. If you want every round to fire buy $10 a box of 100 CCI or for $16 for 550 get 95% to fire. For practice 95% is better than my hit ratio.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The last year or two I started shooting a lot of Wal Mart Federal, Remington and Winchester bulk pack.

Since all the Brands had unprimed cases I began to think that all that 22 ammo was being made in the same third world country.:upeyes:

But I have noticed that the Remington has far more duds than the Federal or Winchester.

8. SBroadwell

SBroadwell

I have about a 10% fail to fire rate with Remington. Even when I try to shoot it through my old bolt action, it just won't fire.

Even though it is "bulk", and cheap, I think it at least should go bang every time.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm willing to put up with some malfunctions in practice to shoot cheaper.

Running a thousand rounds of CCI rapid fire through the SIG could get right expensive.:supergrin:

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

I've never had a problem w/ "Golden Bullet" in my 10/22, 22/45, or CZ-75 Kadet.

Not to offend some, but I think that a good bit of the problem may lie with the actual weapons themselves in addition to the less than top quality ammo.

A lot of the new pimpy .22s are just pure junk, contracted out to toy companies and airsoft manufacturers.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

I noticed last time I shot my scoped Marlin 60 at 100yds. I could hardly keep anything on target using Remington Golden bullets. I switched to Mini-mags just to see if it was the ammo, and I went right back to shooting tight groups......... go figure.

12. mteagle1

mteagle1

I wouldn't call what I paid for my S&W 617 cheap nor was the Ruger Mark II Government Target or the Ruger 22/45 or the Beretta U22 NEOS and all of these have had failures to fire with Remington and Federal bulk pack. I have also seen this problem in a S&W 41 another instructor loans to students. It didn't get any better when I put a Tactical Solutions upper on the 22/45, it still averages 2-5 per 100. This is all range practice not shooting at beer cans laying on the ground or traffic signs.

13. diamondmike

diamondmike

I pay a little more and use Winchester Copper Dipped.

You can save money by using the cheap stuff like Wildcat etc. but that exposed lead bullet will really gum things up.

I also found that the copper dipped bullets are much more accurate.

No one ever said that the sport of shooting was cheap so you either pay or dont shoot.

14. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Was in Walmart last week looking at ammo for my .22 Magnum.

CCI ammo was $9.xx per box
    Rem ammo was $15.xx per box :wow:

CCI has a better reputation, but the Remington ammo costs ~50% more!

15. diamondmike

diamondmike

Its actually cheaper to shoot a 9mm Luger than a 22Mag. and that makes no sense at all since you would think it costs more to make a 9mm Luger bullet with the primer and all.

I take spent 22Mag casings and use a small tubing cutter like you use on brake lines for a car and cut the primer end off the casing and then ream it out good.
    A 22LR fits perfect inside the 22Mag casing and insert the 22Mag casing in the chamber/s of the gun with the 22LR bullet housed in it.
    Every gun I did this on shot fine but if for some reason your firing pin does not hit low enough the primer wont get hit right and the bullet wont explode.
    You can use the 22Mag casings over and over and by shooting a 22LR that saves some serious money.

I would never use this method for selfdefense but its great for plinking etc.

16. bb85cc

bb85cc

the last box of Remington bulk pack i bought i had to use up in one of my bolt actions

i was buying it to use in my high standard sports king because the Remington in the past has always been a little hotter and the gun worked better with the Remington in the past then with the federal bulk i use in my other 22

this last box was not as hot as the it used to be and had about 5 duds per 100 so for now the high standard will join the trailside with only using mini mags

i have been shooting this gun since i was a little kid and it has only been in the last few years that it has became picky about ammo

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The guns have nothing to do with the primer being left out of the round at the factory.
    Most 22LR guns shoot one brand of ammo better than another.

Also it's a normal thing to hear the difference in sound from shot to shot. Some sound like standard velocity and the next shot may sound like hyper velocity.

What is surprising is how accurate the cheap bulk pack ammo is.
    Last week my friends and I were shooting the bulk Federal at a one foot square target at 52 yards. Any misses were the fault of the shooter, not the ammo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I've noticed that especially with the Thunderbolts. The Golden Bullets seem to be a little better. Not much better, but better.

My rimfire semi-auto handguns don't seem to like any hollowpoint ammo except CCI Mini-Mags.

Here's a couple shots I just took of some fairly common 22LR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left to right:
    CCI Mini-Mag, High Velocity, CRN 40 Grain, 1235 FPS
    CCI Standard Velocity, LRN, 40 Grain, 1070 FPS
    Federal American Eagle, High Velocity, LRN, 40 Grain
    Federal Bulk Pack, High Velocity, 36 Grain, CHP, 1260 FPS
    Remington Thunderbolt Bulk Pack, LRN, High Speed
    Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Pack, CHP, 36 Grain, 1280 FPS
    Winchester 333 Bulk Pack, CHP, 36 Grain, 1280 FPS

Seems the Remingtons feed well, but have lots and lots of duds. Normally, I can turn them and try again. I find that the Federal and Winchester Bulk have a lot of really loose bullets in their cases and the occasional dud, but not as bad as the Remington. I haven't tried the American Eagle yet. The CCI is almost always flawless in any incarnation. I've had a few duds that I could turn in the chamber and shoot again, though, but that's a rare occasion.

I can't afford the expensive match ammo, so the more common stuff is the best I can do. CCI is about the most expensive that I'll go.

Speaking of hollow points, the Winchester's hollow is so big, It really doesn't want to feed in any of my semi-auto handhuns and the Federal Bulk Pack's hollows are so shallow, they might as well be round nosed.

It's true that some guns aren't that well made and just don't feed or shoot reliably, but most malfunctions and poor accuracy are due to crappy ammo.

If I could only shoot one type of ammo it would be either the CCI Mini-Mag (RN or HP) or the CCI Standard Velocity. I really don't see any advantages to high velocity ammo, except that it's cheaper. :)

deadite

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That's interesting. I'm not into 22 Mag but I've never heard that before.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

My experience exactly.:)