The problem I see with today's immigrants

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glockblock6653, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Glockblock6653

Glockblock6653

correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that immigrants of generations past wanted to blend quickly into society and become an American. Not just as a title on their documentation, but as a way of life. Sure, foods, clothing styles, culture, etc. followed them; that's what made/makes America great. The modern day immigrant seems to want to immediately start dictating policy, and bringing their cultural differences to the forefront. Demanding that Christianity be removed from all public buildings, including schools. Demanding to be able to wear a hijab or burqa in a driver's license photo. Back in the day, the immigrant either brought money with him or had to start working that afternoon! Now, while many come with their own means, many others are immediately on the government dole. Why should newly relocated refugees have a better lot than someone that's lived here and has been struggling their whole life? There are European cities that have Muslim districts where the police won't enter, due to the violence and a general lack of respect. America doesn't want that. America has a myriad of it's own problems that need to be addressed. Chicago politicians have had 8 years under the Obama administration to fix crime in Chicago. Very little to nothing was done. Yet as soon as President Trump starts plans to address the issues, here they come, spouting rhetoric. To the protestors mad about the immigration policy, guess what? Trump basically just reinstated a policy issued by Obama in 2011. God bless Donald Trump for taking the time out of his already full plate, to try and protect this country from those that are sworn to ruin it. "Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out".

Dr. Bill, legalsten, Inyo Tim and 8 others like this.
  2. droidfire

droidfire

the problem i see is they are coming here under refugee status.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX

Today's immigrants have absolutely no intention of assimilating into American culture and becoming Americans. They've come here to establish their home country's culture in America, even if it directly conflicts with American culture.

This is what separates today's immigrants from those who built this country in the past.

Past immigrants came here to contribute to America.
    Today's immigrants come here to take what they can get from America.

They will eventually destroy this country.

4. JMS

JMS 02

Great post. The big difference is that the majority of 'immigrants' from Islamic countries are not coming here to assimilate or ever become like us, they are here to create a 5th Column. Weaken the country economically by living off the dole, have more kids than the average citizen has (to change the demographics of the country down the road) and eventually demand Sharia law and to be held to different laws (until they can take over 100% of this country).

5. Random

Random Banned

You're wrong...and your idea of what an American is is simply that - your idea.
    People haven't changed. There's always been some that want to assimilate into new areas, adopting their ways and cultures. There have always been some that remain selective about what parts of their identity they are willing to give away. It's been that way with every single person that legally or illegally set foot on American soil. To think the pilgrims arrived in America, cast off all connections to their culture/traditions, and assimilated into the pre existing population is....wrong.

You have a picture in your head of what you think a real American is. How they behave. What they believe. It's just an image in your head. Akin to how god is a part of you so in your imagination he should look like you.
    I know next to nothing about you, but I would guess that if the next 500,000 immigrants to set foot on U.S. soil all adopted inner city cultures and traditions (which are distinctly American), it wouldn't match up with how you think an American should be/act.

6. Glockblock6653

Glockblock6653

How did that immigration policy work out for the then present day Americans?

7. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I say this is B.S. and you are wrong

Glockblock6653 likes this.
  8. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Well at least you waited until the last paragraph to throw down the race card.

orangejeep06 and Sniffler like this.
  9. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

This is very true. People have this image of an America-of-old where immigrants cleanly and efficiently adapted to American society, but that wasn't always (or even most of the time) the case. Look at New York, San Francisco or other major immigrant landing spots from the early 1900s, for example, and you will see areas like "Little Italy", "Chinatown" and other ethnic enclaves where many such immigrants tended to converge and set up their own cultural centers, rather than immediately assimilate into full American culture.

Today "Chinatown" and "Little Italy" are mainly tourist attractions, but many folks today don't realize that from the late 1800s up through the 1950s and even up into the 60's these areas were just what the names imply - cultural enclaves where multiple generations of immigrants and even their children grew up speaking mainly (sometimes exclusively) their native languages and where American culture (and even law enforcement) simply wasn't welcome. It took SEVERAL generations for many of the immigrant groups who came over during the late 1800s and early 1900s to fully assimilate into our culture and society. It wasn't fast and it wasn't a clean process by any stretch.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    AZLawDawg and Rizzo like this.
  10. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

This is generally true. It typically takes a few generations for a people to assimilate to the USA. Assimilation to new customs and culture is never immediate, but is that really what anyone expects?
    I believe that when most Americans speak of assimilation, they're not expecting you to stop making the dishes you enjoy in your country, nor are they expecting you to be perfectly fluent in English in a week or two. At least, that's not what I'm expecting. Keep your religion, your clothing, your food, your culture; but integrate that into America. Make America richer by starting a business selling turkish coffee or baklava.

What we don't want, is people coming here with no intention whatsoever of becoming American. Don't come here with the intention of mooching off the USA, collecting all kinds of money and aid and sending it all back to your home country. Working methodically to destroy the very institutions that you're fleecing.
    Don't pout and moan about being mistreated, when you live a thousand times better here than whence you came. You won the ****ing lottery living in America, even if among the most disadvantaged.

The Pilgrims? That's a straw man. Most people that speak of historical emigration to the USA are speaking of folks who came here after the country was established.

Meh, you've just described pretty much everybody. This is not novel or unique. Clearly you have a picture in your own head of what you think those that wish to curb illegal immigration really are, how they behave. Your prejudices are hard to hide.
    Moreover, this is not what this is about for most Americans. I don't care if you're like me at all. I just want you to make yourself better, which makes your community better, and by extension your country. Work within the system, don't work to destroy it.

Inner city cultures and traditions are part of American life and have become ubiquitous, especially in the suburbs. Inner city culture is uniquely American and recognized as such by people in other countries that wish to emulate it. America exports inner city culture with gusto. Such a racist country... :rolleyes:

BTW: I can say all this with authority as I myself am a literal refugee. Do I still eat dishes from my birthplace, speak the language, etc.? Yes. But I'm an American, and feel that my country of choice, my country, is the best in the world. I have fully assimilated into American culture, I just made a couple of improvements. :D

fx77 and orangejeep06 like this.
  11. arkdweller22

It's their pattern. Historically, it's what they've done and continue to do.
    Just ask the Spanish, Italians and French.
    Take a look at what happened to the Mongol Empire. They conquered the Muslim world by force of arms, yet had all but disappeared within a few short generations. Conquered by conversion and outbred by their vassals. My sig line has never rung more true.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  12. Pope-onna-Rope

Pope-onna-Rope

While I mostly agree, I don't believe they are out to destroy a country, they want to change it to something they recognize, their own culture.
    We have a large Burmese population here, most of any city in the US, they have their own enclaves where they live like they did at their 'home' land.
    IF you wind up in their 'hood, you are reminded you don't belong there, in no uncertain terms.

The Mexican 'hoods here are similar, they don't want you there, and you won't be, for long.

Not longing for assimilation, longing for 'home' .

13. arkdweller22

Off topic but; Even though "nobody reads these damned things," you really should change your sig line. Unless of course, that's how you feel about Trump. :fred:

You're right, most don't want to destroy America. Most will assimilate into American culture within a few generations, albeit with some of their own flavor mixed in. It's why we eat Pizza and Tacos these days.

However, some do wish to conquer the US by breeding and conversion. They are intolerant of anything but their religio-political system.

orangejeep06 and Pope-onna-Rope like this.
  14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

15. Pope-onna-Rope

Pope-onna-Rope

You freak of nature....you read my sig line after I made it abundantly clear you aren't supposed to !

Some will totally assimilate, many never will.
    Some act like they have, but really have not, they can ( and do ) follow the rules when out of their 'hoods, but not within.
    They live here with their own set of rules and culture laws.

This topic is a jambog, as it's been told before.
    I wound up in an enclave nearby looking for a short-cut to a major roadway, found myself in a Burmese area, dead-end road, and while there, looked like a village in Burma, women crouched in doorways, clothes-lines strung up haphazard between apartments, entire families living in several joined apartments.
    I thought and felt I was in a foreign country, 3 blocks from my house.
    These folks have been here for generations, little assimilation going on there.
    Anecdotal evidence at best, I know, but that's my observations here.

Remember the way to destroy a country is to take it from within, not outside of it.

orangejeep06 and arkdweller22 like this.
  16. norton

norton

They now come here to get free stuff.
    End of story.

Dr. Bill, pipedreams and orangejeep06 like this.
  17. Beermeister

Beermeister Deplorable

We need to close the borders for a few decades to let people assimilate and learn English. If we are going to bring immigrants in, we should deport 2 liberals for every immigrant.

DrVlad and pipedreams like this.
  18. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

Correct. My Grandfather came here and could not speak English. He learned it quick and never taught his children his native tongue. He was proud if his heritage, but he was an American now.

19. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Everyone talking about ethnic enclaves....keep one thing in mind, today is not the same.

Today we have a welfare state. the alliances of the past were for comfort and survival. Today they are subsidised to recreate the crap they left.

People who do not have to participate in mainstream/corporate America to feed themselves are unlikely to assimilate at high rates. Past generations changed their names, learned the language and assimilated because it was nessessary in order to pay the bills.

We subsidise our own demise.

podwich, DrVlad, tous and 9 others like this.
  20. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

The only way to get people to assimilate is to turn off benefits. Hunger drives people to figure out the way of things....fast.

DrVlad, MooseJaw, Dr. Bill and 5 others like this.