close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Armchair Commando, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Now I don't even have a high school diploma, :supergrin: but you gotta realize I know a thing or two about transducers. You don't NEED a transducer to generate sound. You need a transducer to ...uh, transduce from electrical energy to particle motion.

Of course, the frequency of sounds that would be reproducible on the moon would be very limited, but if a medium can transmit energy for that wavelength, sound will and can occur.

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I'd rather the human race became extinct because we tried exploring the universe and found something we couldn't handle that have it become extinct because we confined ourselves to one planet out of cowardice, shortsightedness and lack of ambition.

The human race needs to get off its ass and explore. I can see smoke from my neighbors chimney, it's time to move on.

3. Altaris

Altaris

I totally agree. With the scared mentality we would be still stuck in the caves, fearful of the lions, tigers, and bears that might be waiting for us. And saying, how about we solve the problems in our cave tribe first, before we go explore the open lands.

4. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

I didn't ignore it! I thought it was an excellent example or challenge if you will.

On an science/physics/engineering note: I read where we've overcome the need to cryo-freeze a MASER to get it to work - Basically room-temp, solid-state MASER.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19281566

I also read where you guys are planning the "next" machine, the "Higgs Factory", and that funding for it will be a little tough in this economy.

Good luck!:wavey:

5. Altaris

Altaris

AG,
    Are you talking about this one?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOGi-MXhbEs"]'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss - YouTube[/ame]

That is weird, I can't find the original version of it that I had bookmarked either. Not sure why they would remove that. It had a ton of views.

6. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

Yes, cool, thanks. The location I had bookmarked now shows "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim"

-ArtificialGrape

7. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I need to trandsduece a sound... I don't know about the waves, or the length, but I'm pretty sure they taper off at one end. There are trillions of particles involved, and they overwhelmingly constitute the nature of this post. :supergrin:

8. mrstrau

mrstrau

In my opinion there has to be other life. I think about this all the time...everytime I worry about money or my job or the future...in the end it's all sort of insignificant in the face of it all..but at the same time, it's all we've got, so we might as well do something.

We float around on a speck of sand traveling thousands of miles per hour around a sun, which is just one of billions of other stars in the universe. I think its something like the closest star to us is 16.8 Billion light years away from us. That means we'd have to travel for 16.8 billion years, AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT, to get there. I'm not a scientist, or a space travel expert, but I'm pretty sure its near impossible, since its damn difficult to get anything with any amount of mass to travel that fast. Then there is the whole issue of a Human being's life span...

We are a part of just one galaxy that is a part of millions of others which make up the universe..which is probably apart of some other crazy ****. If we can study certain "laws" that seem to act the same way in our galaxy, such as what carbon based life forms need to survive, i.e. food, water, shelter, etc, then its very possible that other life forms out there are also carbon based, and may even look something like us.

Who knows? That's the beauty of it all. I may be an idealist, but if human beings started worrying less about money and who believes in what god and which country has the most stuff, and started worrying about humanity as a whole, pooling the worlds resources, maybe one day we could find out whats out there.

But we're irrational and violent. Oh well, gives me a reason to carry a gun.

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

There is up to a septillion stars, billion is a drop in the bucket.

The closest star is 4.3 light years away (four point three)

BTW, it is worrying about money and who has the most stuff that has created societies that can start to understand this stuff. I will never understand how people (Americians in particular) dont get this.

10. mrstrau

mrstrau

Right, as I said, I'm not a scientist or an expert on the Universe, I'm a history geek instead. Still, 4.3 light years away is ridiculously far away, and I'm not sure if it's possible we even are able to travel that far in our lifetime.

And I understand it would take millions in research and development, as well as many years, to reach a stage where we are capable of that level of "Space Exploration".

But when you consider the challenges our planet faces: failing global economy, dwindling finite resources, damage to our planet caused by pollution and economic development, I sometimes wish we would worry more about "humanity" rather than just America, or Britain, or Botswana, or whatever.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is if we were more in this together, we may reach that stage much faster. Stephen Hawking himself said we as a species will probably have to expand outward into space in the next 1,000 years or we're pretty much screwed.

But again, I'm a bit of an Idealist I suppose.

11. Rabbi

I think you are flat out wrong.

What holds us back is people who dont add much draining the resources (be they real or intellectual) of those who do great things.

Idealism destroys/keeps from every happenening, human advances while greed marches us forward.

12. mrstrau

mrstrau

Your grammar is confusing here; I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Either way, there is no such thing as absolute truth, especially when it comes to the larger pictures such as the global socioeconomic crisis or space exploration.

We are but mere mortals.

Anyway, at the risk of getting into an argument on the internet, which can degenerate into HERPA DERPA DERP, I will agree to disagree, if that's okay with you.

Best,
    mrstrau

13. Rabbi

People who produce, being forced to take care of those who WONT, while the government collects a vig and sets the rules for themselves holds us back more than anything else.

You cant raise the bottom by placing a cap on the top. Not all mortals are the same.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. 475-480

475-480

Exactly.

Sean

15. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

That's what I have been trying to say. Some are Reptilian! And those Reptilians are spiritually regressive, and that is what is holding humanity back!!

16. Rabbi

I ate unicorn for lunch today. By tomorrow I shall lay pipe made of pure glitter wrapped in lemon scented doilies.

Onward to Camelot!

17. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I didn't ignore it. I understood it and agreed.

As to the shovel on Mars, my greater point was that we'd already been there and did that—twice. *

Now, I made my point a bit playfully, so as to have a little fun with you, because I'd assumed that was still possible.

In any case, were I to assign you a nickname, I wouldn't choose WrongwayWon...

--Ray

* For a lander at the poles, I'd send an auger; unless you don't think that's possible! :supergrin:

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Do individual light particles—i.e., photons—have a spin to them?

In other words, if I could capture individual photons coming towards me, with some kind of advanced imaging system, would I detect a spin on each one, like a bullet fired from a rifled barrel, or a well-thrown pass with a football?

Would this observed spin be consistently clockwise from my point of view, or counter clockwise?

--Ray

19. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

They do spin a little. Weird stuff :ufo:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  20. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

In before someone :whistling: comes in and tries to prove Stephen Hawking wrong.