close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Armchair Commando, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Altaris

Altaris

I would gladly give NASA many billions more so that we can explore the universe in an attempt to answer that question. And even if we don't find that specific answer, we would have still greatly advanced humanity with the other things we learned along the way.

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I've asked a few people that share your thinking how they would feel if we actually did find alien life and they got pissed off, came over and wiped us off the map just for being nosy. The answer of course, is always something along the lines of "Well, I didn't really think about it that way".

Maybe it's just me, but my problems and concerns are here on Earth...and no amount of space exploration is going to change any of it.

3. Altaris

Altaris

I do tend to agree with this though.....that is assuming we find more intelligent/superior life to ours. Based on the track record on earth, when a more powerful group goes to the lands of a less powerful group it doesn't end well for the less powerful. I can see that as a reasonable possibility elsewhere.

That is the wrong way of thinking about it. Learning about the universe and science has greatly contributed to this planet. Learning all there is(or as much as possible) about the universe is imo the only real way to 'solve' the issues of humanity.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

And is still a possibility should we stumble upon another species of life somewhere in space.

That's just called hope. Sure, I wish it was like a fairy-tale too and we found the meaning of life one day while looking through a telescope...but it's just...not likely.

5. Altaris

Altaris

I'm not talking about a philosophical 'meaning of life', but actual tangible products and benefits. Space exploration has already tangibly benefited humanity greatly and will only continue to do so.

6. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

True, but many of those things that have benefited us happened years ago. I can't even think of the last recent thing that NASA and/or space exploration has given us.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

I was picturing a backhoe that could reach Mars from Earth... it wasn't a very good example I guess. Yes, all of the Mars landers have had some sort of shovel in them.

That's right--there would be no way to tell just by looking at it.

Yes, this is also right--if there WERE big pockets of antimatter out there, we'd expect to be able to see the edges because there would be lots of annihilation going on.

The AMS experiment has excluded the possibility of antimatter galaxies within about 3 billion light years, and by the end of its operational lifetime is expected to exclude the entire universe. So we'll know if there are antimatter galaxies or not within the next ~20 years.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

This is from the last 10 years or so.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

It's not about mass, it's about density.

Only one--black holes (we think) can't have "kinds." They only have a few classical properties (mass, charge, angular momentum) and don't have further information content. Look up the "no-hair" theorem.

10. GasTurbine

GasTurbine Porschey Power!

God did not create man...man created God.

11. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Thanks for replying! :wavey:

1) I may well deserve to be spanked for this, but if, just if, time were flowing backwards in a distant galaxy, could we determine that? How?

2) Has antimatter been excluded as the possible cause of the occasional gamma ray bursts we detect out there?

3) That speculation makes sense since the further out we look into space, the further back we see into time, and all the antimatter should have been pretty much annihilated in the oldest of stomping grounds.

--Ray

13. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

World governments have been hiding the reality of extra-terrestrial life for decades now. ET life is old news. The whole SETI program is a joke as aliens have made themselves known for a long time.

Really now, welcome to the 21st century.

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

1) Don't you mean density? ;)

2) I suppose there can't be any direct information, since the gizmo itself is unobservable.

But I keep reading and hearing about mini black holes, quantum singularities, primordial black holes formed in the Big Bang. I thought that perhaps, like stars, there was m ore than one variety, or subclass.

Carl Sagan wrote that black holes slip through a self-generated crack in the space-time continuum, and vanish from this universe. Do you hold with that?

I'll Google "no hair theorem"...

:wavey:

--Ray

15. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

PW, is that you?

16. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Thanks! I'll look into this... :thumbsup:

While I've got you here, I recall from Carl Sagan's Cosmos, that he felt that it may just be possible, that if you could survive the journey past the event horizon, and pass down into the gravity well of a black hole, that you might emerge out the other side, somewhere else in space, and somewhen else in time... Do you think that's possible? :dunno:

--Ray

17. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Listen, man, I own the X Files collection... Who do you think you're dealing with here? :miff:

--Ray

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

DD,

When I read your post on the Mars/shovel thing I too did not think you meant a shovel from here to there...

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

Ok, ok! It was a terrible example!

I liked the previous one a lot better, but the guy I was responding to seemed to have ignored it. I'll repeat it here, I guess:

If I ask you to build a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 100 meters away, that's something we know how to do.

If I then ask for a speaker that will let me hear your voice from 10 miles away... well, that's an engineering challenge, but fundamentally all it would take is a really really big speaker and some good waveguide design.

If I ask for a speaker that will let me hear you on the Moon... it can't be done. Sound physically does not work that way. No amount of can-do attitude can make it happen.

Some limitations are physics. Some are engineering. Sometimes we're confused about which is which. But there *are* some fundamental physics limitations that cannot be overcome simply by building better machines.

20. IQof1

IQof1

what if.....

we design a speaker to vibrate the surface of the moon so you could "hear" through your feet? and, instead of wires, we use a "laser" (Dr. Evil quotes tyvm) to transfer the signal from earth to the moon. should only have a little over a second and a half delay....

sorry, just being a smart ass! haha