close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Armchair Commando, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Incorrect... the book of Ezekiel... he actually describes seeing a UFO. Another part of the bible, can't remember the book, there is a description of a "hangar" of sorts... when the dimensions are measured... and those are compared to Ezekiel's visions... they all matchup.

Food for thought.

2. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

Good point. That's were physics and math as we know it may just get flushed down the toilet. The physics and chemistry in a different galaxy could be different than ours. Pretty crazy huh? Of course that's just a theory, a plausible one I think.

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

In the book, Mandingo had an extra terrestrial.

:supergrin:

4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

:honkie:

5. muscogee

muscogee

Ezekiel could have describing a hallucination.

6. muscogee

muscogee

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to add?

7. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I don't like you too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I don't. What has 3 balls, and comes from outer space? ET, the Extra Testicle. Happy now?

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

That is the kind of thing people who dont understand physics like to philosophize about. It doesnt work that way.

We dont create these things, we just discover them and then try to understand them.

Its not like another galaxy is made out of something other than atomic particles.

We dont even know what we dont know yet. That is for sure, and yes, we will come to understand physics that is so far beyond what we know now, but that doenst change the truths that we do know now. We wont know these things because 1+1 no longer =2....we will understand these things because we understood that 1+1=2.

10. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

I was just pointing out that the laws of physics could vary throughout the universe. Sure they are constant here but that may not be the case far far away:cool:. Some very intelligent physicists have theorized this. Some even say the fine constant structure varies depending where you are in the universe. I wouldn't say I don't understand physics because I think this is plausible. Where did you get that ya silly goose?

Rabbi, sometimes I think you type just to type............and to attempt to condescend.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

If something is different because of a variable that we can define....

Condescending or not, you dont understand this issue. You just know how it makes you feel.

12. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

Maybe we can't define it just yet. I know you are very grounded in your math and physics, that is clear. But you are so grounded that you don't allow the possibilities for phenomena that we don't yet understand. Remember, a lot of wonderful things were discovered by theorizing and challenging "the math & physics" Could you agree with that?

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Pissing matches aside, this has started to get pretty good.

Some additional thoughts...

Extraterrestrial Life

All life on Earth is carbon-based. Considering higher life forms, and looking at insects alone, we don't even know how many species there are on this planet, but it's thought to be somewhere between six and ten million, with several thousand new species identified each year. There are at least 10,000 species of birds on the planet... When one stops to consider that extinction is the norm for every species, the diversity of what carbon and water have produced here, and will yet produce in terms of life, is absolutely mind boggling!

Carbon and water abound throughout the cosmos, as does the radiation that drives life and evolution. To me at least, the idea that the right combination of ingredients to create life happened only here, is more fantastic than the notion that life must exist in one form or another, throughout the cosmos—and that's utilizing only carbon and water!

I suppose that a more exotic biochemistry may have evolved out there, say, life based on silicon, but it wouldn't be necessary for the formation of some truly bazaar (to us) alien life!

Question: Would silicon-based life have DNA?

Numbers, A/K/A "The Math"

While it's true numbers don't lie, they can be used to spin things a bit, and reflect the bias of the person that wields them. I've seen it time and again in my sales career, where a pivotal player wants to produce a protégé, a golden child, with a fast-tracked career path, and we saw some newcomer supposedly operating at 180% of their quota... Barring a fantastically new product, or the opening of an incredible new account that just completely kicks ***, how does an 80-year old OEM have an individual exceeding his or her quota by 80%? Two ways: 1) The quota was adjusted to absurdly reduced expectations; and 2) The individual is being given an infusion of volume for stuff they didn't personally sell. Either way it smells; it doesn't reflect this person's actual value and performance, and I've seen this very thing contrived several times in my sales career.

Can something be both abundant and rare? Of course! One percent may not be thought of as very much, but most of us could live very well on one percent of, say, the McDonald's Corporation... One percent of the sun's daily energy output, if harnessed, could certainly solve all our energy needs for the foreseeable future... In looking at the probability of extraterrestrial life, and being honest with the math, we can show that life must be both incredibly rare and fantastically abundant!

Given that gravity is about the weakest natural force that we know about, look at what it can do when you have enough of it—hell, you can bend and trap light, you can warp space and time itself!

Shovels on Mars

Per devildog’s earlier assertion, “...’I say ‘build me a machine that digs holes on Mars from here’ you can't. There's no way to extend the principle of a shovel to this purpose.” Why the hell not? This seems more of an engineering challenge than a physical prohibition of the universe—rather like breaking the sound barrier was. In fact, didn’t at least one of the Viking Mars Landers have a facsimile of a shovel on board?

A Different Kind of Physics

As far as I know, we’ve discovered no alternate physics, just the underpinnings of the existing physics, viewed through the lens of deeper understanding.

I asked once that if a distant galaxy was made of antimatter, would we know it? If memory serves, devildog told me, “No.” But that we would expect to detect particles of regular matter annihilating particles of antimatter at the boundary of that universe. Does this preclude the existence of an antimatter galaxy out there? I think not; but it does reduce the possibility to improbable.

Some have suggested that if there is sufficient matter in this universe, dark and otherwise, and the cosmos we live in is indeed closed and destined to collapse in upon itself, that at the pause of the current expansion, just before the collapse begins, time will stand still... And when the collapse commences, time will flow backwards, right up until the next beginning...

Any thoughts on that last part?

--Ray

14. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Thanks! :wavey:

I understand about our sun. I guess what I meant was, that if a single star can possess the necessary mass to collapse into a singularity, how can the mass of everything else not have collapsed into a singularity? :headscratch:

Also, like the force that makes the sudsy water circle the drain before disappearing down the pipe, do you suppose all spiral and barred spiral galaxies circle massive black holes? :dunno:

Further, if what existed the instant before the Big Bang was a singularity, was that the granddaddy of all singularities? Or do many singularities blossom into a new cosmos? :shocked:

How many kinds of singularities--i.e., black holes--are there, that we know of? :eyebrow:

These are open questions to anybody else that cares to chime in...

--Ray

15. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

A universe full of matter can be open (expand forever), closed (expand, stop, collapse (Big Crunch)), or flat (expand, slow down, but never quite stop).

The evidence now supports that our universe is a flat universe. Lawrence Krass' original 2009 "A Universe from Nothing" lecture has been pulled down from YouTube, but he followed it up with a book, and here is a later lecture on it (not sure why the player is not embedding right now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CO&hl=es-419&v=YUe0_4rdj0U

-ArtificialGrape

16. muscogee

muscogee

I take that as a no.

17. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

A late-night trip to Wal-mart will accomplish the same thing.

18. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

257 posts later, we finally have the most accurate answer. I say give NASA another few billion dollars so they can keep guessing.

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

However, the real question is are the aliens happy with their HOA?

20. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

:rofl: :supergrin: