close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The plates.......

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AggieMM, Dec 6, 2004.

1. AggieMM

AggieMM Aggie Glocker

This past weekend in San Antonio, I competed in my first competition since becoming a gun owner three months ago. I have only shot about 700 rounds so far, so I'm still learning. Going into the event, my goal was not to finish last. :) Considering that I'm a newbie, I felt pretty good with my efforts on shooting the M and 5, with best scores (shot two classes) of 72.90 on the M and 75.36 on the 5.

HOWEVER, when I got to the plates (last event to shoot), I failed miserably. In my first division, I left 5 standing, and the score was 122. In my second shoot, I did much better, 0 standing, but the score was 42.58. I had to go back and reshoot at missed plates several times.

Any tips on the plates? Any practice techniques to use at the range?

BTW - Had a great time, and thank you to all of the ROs that were nice to me, giving me advise on how to improve! I will definitely shoot GSSF events again!

Ryan

2. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Front sight! :) And lots of dry-firing so you learn to press the trigger without throwing the sights off target.

3. Terminator

Terminator

4. pangris

pangris Moderator

I hate to say this, but...

Practice :)

But to be a little less direct -

Find a shooting school in your area and go to it. I had been shooting for 20 years and my first three day class amazed me. I improved 100%. Part of it is the instruction and moderation, part of it is the volume of fire. TDSA ( http://www.tdsa.net/ ) comes to mind. If you are in Dallas, you are in luck.

Next, buy the Advantage Arms .22 conversion. For $200-$250, this is the accessory no Glock should be without. YOu can shoot a LOT more fore a LOT less and have little to no recoil in the process. LOts fo reps, cheap with no bad habit forming recoil.

Third - now you start practicing for real. Find some plates and shoot them. A lot. Say every other range session, shoot plates only. If you can, get a friend and a good timer (PACT/CED) and about halfway through, shoot under time pressure - but never shoot so fast that you miss. Find your pace. In practice, slowly get faster. Always shoot the plates a couple days before the match as well.

If you can shoot steel, paper is a breeze.

Have a great one :)

BTW, what model?

5. pangris

pangris Moderator

That to. You should dry practice 2X as much as real practice :)

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Congrats on your first match! Well done. You've now seen how less (speed) can be better (time).
    Stickied link to alot of good tips, including one on the plates:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145777

When not practicing at Six Flags over Minnesota, I take the cheapest paper plates to my range & put some up so edges are 1' apart. You don't need all six to start with. Get the really cheapo ones with a crinkled 1-1/2 to 2" border, so the smooth part is only about 6".

Practice on those, starting from a low-ready and just doing one plate at a time, then progressing to two, etc. As was said, front sight, front sight, front sight. Never break the shot or think about the following plate until the sight is on the plate, the shot's gone. If your shots start straying toward that crinkly border on the paper plate, SLOW DOWN.

One thing told to me awhile back (Butch I think) that actually helped at my first match was that, except for knocking the first one down, don't get focused on pouring rounds into a plate that won't go down. Move on, then come back & pickup any plates left standing. Focusing on something that's not working tends to breed tension he told me, which does horrible things for one's shooting.

Gotta admit, tho', GSSF is a blast, huh?
    ;j

7. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

BIG ROUND FULL MOONS?

If they did, and they probably did, it was because you looked at the plates instead of your sights.

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Then again coming back is going to add a half second to your time. :) Somebody that shoots well told me that. ;)

9. AggieMM

AggieMM Aggie Glocker

Thanks to all for your great advice!!!! I have a lot to learn, and I'm glad to have a resource like GT!!

And yes, I'm already making plans to travel to Dallas in May 2005...... :)

Ryan

10. murph2127

murph2127

Airsoft is perfect for practicing the plates. In my office I have these little discs that are about 2" in diameter. I forgot the distance but I measured off a place for them where they are proportional to the 8" plates at 11 yards. Helps train you to call your shots.

Ted

11. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I strongly disagree with the Airsoft and .22 conversion kit ideas. Shoot the gun that you're going to be using in the matches.

You can also learn a lot from by reading the link I'm about to paste.

http://www.sportshooter.com/GSSF/tips/gssf_pro_tips6.htm

If you do like Bobby says you'll become a plate killin machine!

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

The only way to shoot the plates FAST is to fire only one shot at each plate. If you wait to see if the plate goes down, you're wasting time, you should know the plate is going down because your sight was on it when the gun fired.

Yup, if you have to go back for missed plates it takes longer, but if you don't miss, it's the best way to shoot your fastest string.

If you KNOW you missed a plate because your sight wasn't on it when the gun fired, it may well be faster to fire another shot at it while you're there, but it will disrupt your rhythm and may slow you down anyway, and/or cause more misses.

Lots of theories. What's the best way to do it? The way you do it best! :)

One thing for sure is that you have to be watching your sight(s). When I mess up the plates it's usually because I'm looking at the plates - it's fun to watch them go down!

;?

13. murph2127

murph2127

FWIW, Walt Rauch did quite a bit of research on the subject of .22 LR conversion kits. I was part of the project for a while. What he found that while you may not get the recoil impulse of the full charge ammunition, you get all the benefits of repeition that dry fire gives you with actual feedback of where you are hitting. It helps you develop the required muscle memory and also teaches you to call shots w/o spending all the money on full charge ammo.

Ted

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

What should've been the footnote to my original post. Absolutely irrefutable advice from Butch.
    And yes, they are fun to watch...dagnabbit! I have to remember that it's more fun when they're all down & I still have 5 rounds in the gun. ;J