The Pandemic is over and you have $250K to invest

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by wjv, Mar 27, 2020.

1. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

I'm hearing rumors that a bailout for the mortgage industry will be next (since lots of people who are out of work will stop making payments).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ronavirus-stimulus-federal-reserve/index.html

Never underestimate the ability of the Fed to print a few extra trillion $. :banana:

At this point, they might as well just print enough money to pay off the entire national debt.:animlol:

All they need to do is have somebody type a bunch of extra zeros on a computer screen. :animlol:

quasii likes this.
  2. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

This guy gets it! :cheers:

Prepare now, while you still can.

In 2024, Michelle will likely be elected POTUS.:eek::alex:

catman71 and B C like this.

3. Aurora

Aurora

This guy gets it.

Buying a beaten down business? The people I actually meet that own restaurants are closing them down permanently and laying the staff off. After that, they intend to declare bankruptcy. The reason being is that they are still paying rent and have no business coming through, which leads to an unworkable amount of debt to deal with.

I don't know if commercial real estate is going to take a beating. As mentioned above, all these failing businesses are still paying rent.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to buy into a business that you know nothing about. I've watched SO MANY of these ventures fail. Stick with something you know about - and build it yourself from the ground up.

V.

Little Joe and Fortunate Son like this.
  4. hannstv

hannstv

Energy stocks.

billy_56081 and catman71 like this.
  5. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

Hookers, weed, and snacks.

billy_56081 likes this.
  6. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I’m sure a better investor could do better but I’m anticipating a pretty good beating in the markets on Monday (when USA cases double in 3 days)
    And I’ll be buying the S&P index fund

Boundertom likes this.
  7. GlockTrader45

GlockTrader45

I’m not a good investor so I’d probably just buy index funds, but what do you guys think about companies/utilities which facilitate remote work?

Citrix, Zoom, etc.. I bet after this work-from-home/social distancing binge finishes, a lot of companies will find they can have a lot of their employees work remotely, so I guess I’d invest in that field somehow.

catman71 likes this.
  8. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

can't go wrong with Big Pharma. America and ROW hooked on drugs.

catman71 likes this.
  9. fg17

fg17

IDK, something very safe and then I’d retire.

10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

By definition you cannot predict Black Swan events and this Corona virus reaction has to be the biggest Black Swan event in my lifetime. The economy may quickly rebound when they open it up or it may take a while.

So I do not have the answer. As far as investing in a business; only if you are confident you can do a better job than the person who lost it.

We have been in an everything bubble for a long time. Did the virus burst the bubble or was it going to burst anyway?

Little Joe likes this.
  11. reniram

reniram

They've definitely been beaten down. CVX down 50 percent, XOM even more. They comprise over 40 percent of XLE. The European oil stocks like RDS have been beaten down even more. IXC has most of them as well as the US ones. Hard to see how the world stops using oil in my lifetime, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    hannstv likes this.
  12. hannstv

hannstv

I am certain we will still be dependent on oil all my lifetime (hope that is awhile). This stupid price war between Russia and KSA will not last too long. Once this situation is over the energy sector will recover looooong before the rest of the market.

reniram likes this.
  13. reniram

reniram

Both CVX and XOM have 25 plus year history of annual dividend increases. CVX CEO recently committed to not cutting the dividend, don't know about XOM. In the fairly recent past both BP and COP have cut dividends during tough times.

hannstv likes this.
  14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

[​IMG]

16. Lil

Lil

Don't wait until pandemic is over, that's a little late. I'll be investing in the market. I don't want to manage a biz - too much time spent managing. Monitoring the market is simple.

17. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

Listen. I need you all to follow the advice of Wall Street and sell. You see, this will allow me to invest my retirement accounts at a lower price and make more money.

thank you

sas-G19 likes this.
  18. peng

peng

Generally true and my philosophy also.

But remember, the worst is not here yet and many many smaller debt laden companies will go bankrupt - they are never bailed out, just the top of the food chain.

A stockholder loses everything in that case. If the stock was at 50 and you buy at 2, you still lose everything you invested, you just have more shares.

Debt laden companies are more at risk, as are companies with no cash reserves.
    These are known as current/quick and debt ratios. Would be worth a glance at these metrics before diving in.

Individual stocks are riskier but offer greater returns, mutual/index funds are more protected. I'm still on the sidelines but paying attention closely.

19. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    The Fed fired their first two "bazookas", and got nothing, they fired the third (promise of unlimited liquidity and to buy everything) and they got a significant bounce.........................will it be enough, how do they do more?
    And the states haven't even lined up for bailout..............yet.

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm far from being a knowledgeable investor, but the only place I lost money, $20,000+ was in stocks,
    and the only place I made Big Bucks was in land and mineral rights (natural gas).
    And that was just dumb luck.

If someone is trying to give you financial advice, why would you litem to them if their "advice" hasn't already made them a LOT of MONEY?

21. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Transferable Stoner 63A and one of the original AR-10B rifles (“Hollywood AR-10s”)...the rest in eggs and TP.