Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan of Band of Brothers for a long time. Own the box set and have watched it many times. When 'The Pacific' came out it was basically billed as being just like BoB except it was set in the Pacific campaign. Since then I've heard many times that The Pacific wasn't as good as BoB. Several months ago I was able to pick up the box set of The Pacific at Goodwill for $5. Today I finally started watching it. IMNSHO BoB is a way more compelling story. At least told better. By the end of the first episode of BoB you know who most of the characters are. I'm two episodes into The Pacific and I can only reliably identify two characters and I don't know who anyone else is or why I should be interested in them. Not saying it's not good. Just BoB is better. I'll finish watching it. But at this point I don't think I'll look forward to watching it again as I do with BoB.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Have not seen the pacific.. 5 bucks is awesome.. let me know what you think after you saw it.

·
Huge Member
11,407 Posts
I've seen BOB numerous times. I've seen The Pacific numerous times as well (still on Amazon Prime I think). Both are compelling if not completely different stories. If you get a chance read the books the Pacific is based on; A Helmet for my Pillow by Bob Lecke, With the Old Breed on Peleliou and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge and a biography of John Basilone. The Pacific war was completely different than the European theater.

I would say the Pacific is every bit as good as BOB, just different.

·
Registered
12,729 Posts
BoB is great, one of the best ever. I think I have watched it 3 times and would not hesitate to watch again. I ran into the same problem with the Pacific, I will probably give it another shot.

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,759 Posts
Maybe its perspective, I had direct family in the PTO WWll
I found the Pacific series very compelling

·
tabula rasa
496 Posts
The Pacific is the screen play of Eugene Sledge’s book “ With the old breed at Peliliu and Okinawa ”. All the books mentioned above by mac66 are good.
If you read Sledgehammer’s book the characters will be developed for the movie. The most informative scene for me was after they are home the cab driver
Says he was in Europe then tells sledge We at least got to go on leave, you marines were there with no breaks.

I grunted and will rarely say it but, Semper Fi!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
BoB is just hard to beat................just didn't get drawn into Pacific the same way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Like many others here I watched both BOB and the Pacific. As a story and as a cinema production, BOB is far better. As to the heroism of the troops, the implacable nature of our enemies, and the sheer terror of battle in real life, the island-hopping Pacific battles were probably harder on the foot soldiers that in all but a small percentage of battles in Europe. I read "With The Old Breed", and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in what those battles were really like for the men on the ground. The Germans tried to kill us with tactics and superior technology, but when it didn't work, they gave up. The Japanese tried all that other stuff, but their real power was that they merely refused to ever ever give up; they thought it a great honor to kill and die, while Americans killed Japanese to stay alive or keep their comrades alive and, secondarily, to follow orders to achieve strategic goals. Read Old Breed and see what I mean.

·
Registered
43,667 Posts
BoB>TP

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
BoB is the most accurate portrayal of life in the infantry I've ever seen. You'll still see the same characters and situations today.

V.

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
I've watched them both multiple times but BoB sticks with me the most. I've also read all of the books written by the real life BoB members.
Have you read "Parachute Infantry" by David Kenyon Webster? Webster died in early 1960, long before the B.O.B. series was developed. Webster is very frank about life in the Army/War and survival. It really is different then any other combat book I have ever read. He makes no bones about his dis like of authority, the French people and the Army.
Webster was the main character in the B.O.B. episode, "The last Patrol".
Fascinating.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I think people were not as " happy " (that's not the right word but I can't put the right word in mind) with The Pacific in part due to Sledge's mental reaction to the horror he participated in.

In BoB, men died, men were wounded, and at the conclusion you got to see that, as best they could, each survivor integrated themselves back into society.

There were a LOT of Eugene Sledge's however. In Europe too. Men who, for brief periods or longer, had severe emotional distress. Men who couldn't easily separate their memories. We have them in every war, today too.

I thought it was courageous to tell Sledge's story. It's not one you hear often enough imo.

Just my $.02.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts