close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Pacific HBO's long awaited follow up to band of brothers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Starts this Sunday does anyone know if they will show this series every night for the 10 part series or will it be once a week for ten weeks, been waiting for this for over a year.
    Regards
    DW

2. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i believe it will be 10 weeks..:faint:
    i read e. b. sledge's books and 1 book about john basilone..the series is going to be great..
    :patriot:

3. rahrah12

rahrah12

Cannot wait...I still watch Band of Brothers pretty regularly.

i wish I had the patience to DVR the episodes and watch all at once but I don't think that I will be able to...

4. Waffen Monk

Waffen Monk

I can't wait to see this! HBO does a great job w/mini series shows like Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, John Adams and now this...awesome stuff :rock:

5. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Can't wait ! Set to record on the DVR HBO HD !

6. sbhaven

sbhaven

Despite Tom Hank's recent comments the Pacific looks to be a good one.

I had a good laugh at how Newsweek review of the upcoming series. Nice solid liberal spin on the series. The writer bashes The Pacific because, in their view, its not as good as The Hurt Locker and Inglorious Bastards.:upeyes:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/234433
    :faint:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  7. paul45

paul45

I think all who haven't read E.B.Sledge's book, and want to watch The Pacific......should.

I read it as a young kid along with any other personal narratives from Marines.

8. norton

norton

Most people's view of history begins with the day they were born. Anything prior to that is not relevant to them. No wonder those who are ignorant of history are bound to repeat it.

And I wish I hadn't cancelled by HBO service. This series looks to be very good.

9. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

At the risk of being shunned by by fellow GlockTalkers, and labeled a dirty commie, I never really cared for BoB. If you're gonna tell a story, you need good actors, and more importantly - good writers. I know it wasn't a work of fiction, but someone did have to write the script, and they took pains to make sure everyone was somehow pigeonholed into the most cliched WW2 caricatures they could come up with.

The Pacific looks like it's gonna follow suit. Yes, these Marines were young, and yes, they were scared, but they weren't starry-eyed pantywaists, either.

So with that said, the battle scenes were very well-done in BoB, and it doesn't look like Pacific will disappoint in that regard.

10. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

I read through the comments on the article. It reminds me of why I dropped my Newsweek subscription over 30 years ago! Given what the author wrote I'm amazed that they are even still in business. This was not so much a TV review as it was a rambling liberal screed. How else could you bring in Rachel Maddow and Iraq?

11. glock509

glock509

Those "characters"were based on real people and that's is how they truely were.

12. tongix

tongix

Will this be HBO pay per view or the free HBO?

13. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The previews for this series seem to show Marines in the later Pacific island invasions still carrying mostly M1 Carbines.

The marines did use M1 carbines in the earliest island invasions, but quickly realized they were not effective in attacking interlocking bunker lines, nor in jungle cover. So they got rid of them in favor of Garands, BARS, and Thompsons whenever they could.

I also wonder if this series will show realistic employment of the flame thrower? The flame-thrower really came into its own in the Pacific island hopping campaign.

Some units never learned to employ it properly, and hated it. But for those that developed the proper unit tactics of fire-and-maneuver, to get "the man with the pack" up within effective range under leap-frogging covering fire, the flame thrower was just the thing to dislodge stubborn Jap suicide resistance.

Its usefulness was limited only by its relatively short range and short-duration run time (there was not very much fuel capacity in the back-pack type thrower -- less than 10 seconds or so total per fill).

Then they developed the vehicle-mounted throwers, with a lot more fuel capacity, and even more range. Those worked even better.

It was a most horrific weapon for those on the receiving end, but a real lifesaver for the people using it.

-ET

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010