close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "OTHER" side of the fence...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Rikki, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I'm readin' all these posts about how this shoot was crummy because of
    (fill the blank)____________ and [that] shoot was horrible because the RO's DID or DIDN'T (fill the blank again)_____________.
    How 'bout this? Let's have the RO's have a little "open season" on the competitors!
    Two of my pet peeves are:
    1. Shooters that wanna go thru 2x(allowable ala the rules) but only have 2 MAGS...HAY! we've all seen folks load mags before...what makes you think we wanna watch YOU do it? Like maybe we're gonna learn something off you while you hold up the whole shootin' match? Spend 40 bucks and put us out of our misery!
    2. Shooters that "put the pin by their names" -then disappear- I mean they just disappear-until you pass them by.Then they show up and WAAAAAA!!!!!...OK,OK, you tell them to calm down, stop the tears, you'll work them in..and then they get to the shooter table,,, and guess what? Their 2 mags are EMPTY! ARRRRGH!!!!!
    I've shot alot of different stuff, and this GSSF business is FUN! It's an EXCELLENT value.. you are guaranteed 24 rounds @ the plates...30 rounds at the 5tG....27 rounds at the GLock'M... MORE if you MISS... 81 scored rounds in competition...for 25 bucks...that's a good value...:soap: :soap: :soap:

2. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

3. MickAv8r

MickAv8r

ohhh man where do I start -

okay first off

please don't point your Glock at my table - YOU may be willing to destroy it but I'd like to keep it free of holes - it's a table, it's not a muzzle rest (your Glock doesn't weigh THAT much it's platic for crying out loud).

I don't care if your slide is locked back, don't point that firearm at me, your elbow, my table, or anybody else.

I'm sorry if you have to wait - don't expect too much sympathy if it takes you 4-5 hours to get through the stages considering many of the RO's were at the range by 7 or 8am and won't be leaving until 5 or 6pm or later, for at least two days, and probably a couple full days prior to the shoot to prepare. We want you to have a good time yes you are a paying customer, but I'm a volunteer. Okay we get a free shirt - ;f but seriously think long and hard before you start to b i t c h - why aren't you working the match?

been said before - buy some fricken mags, (they are only what $20-25 max) keep them separate from the firearm so you can keep them loaded. It's never been an issue in the past but it seems to be an issue this year.

Those targets don't paste themselves - while your waiting there is no reason you can't be helping - get off your *** and tape! Maybe you won't be waiting so long then.

That said I love working GSSF matches - less gamer BS than IDPA and thus much more fun plus Chris and Dave get paid the big bucks to handle the BS ;f

4. MickAv8r

MickAv8r

one other comment:

whats with the speed unloading after a string?

slow down their turbo - not only is that a horrid habit to be in, you are wasting my time and everbody elses as I have to get you loaded up again for the next string, leave the damn bullet in the chamber, just change mags between strings.

The gun aint gonna go off with a bullet in the chamber if you'd just keep your finger off the fricken trigger!

oh yeah

get that finger off the trigger slick! This aint Hollywood, you look like a dork - not a professional.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Hey Rikki, is this enough mags for two categories? :)

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Jerry...red really does become you...I was thinking Blue and Gold myself.;f

7. Fireglock

Actually I have 10 blue ones for the unlimited. ;f Here's a few.

8. Fireglock

Oops, here ya go Festus.

9. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Jerry, I think you might need a couple of more for your U/L gun. Ive got a guy near me that has them for $20 each, want me to pick you up a couple.;f
    I think you may have me beat on the # of mags ,but im still working on gettin more!;f

10. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Yep, I can certainly agree on the mag issue. I know I have over kill because I have 20 for my G37 but I shoot 2 categories with it and I have 10 for my G17L U/L gun so after I load up mags I don't have to reload any during the match unless I have to reshoot something. After having said that I see no reason for not showing up with 5 mags per model of gun. After all you get 2 with the gun so just buy 3 more and you can shoot any stage and still have a stripper mag and roll on. Absolute 1st timer I can understand since he/she may not know whether they will like the match but after that you should come prepared.

11. Fast351

Fast351 Dodge This!

Wow, I musta done right for the RO's then. Came with 5 mags, all loaded before the shoot, didn't empty the chamber between strings, kept the muzzle down range unless in holster, and kept finger off trigger until gun was on target. Oh and I helped tape too.

But isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Had a great time at my first ever GSSF. Tip of the cap to the RO's.

BTW, the guy in front of me put a round into the table while chambering a round. Sheesh.

-Mike

12. MrMunster

MrMunster

The RO's at Oakdale definitely deserve our thanks for their hard effort. That said, they still didn't communicate among themselves or with the shooters at a level comparable to what I've seen at other matches.

For example, we (wife+me) waited arwound the 5tG for more than an hour before we were finally called up to hand in our cards. After handing them in, we were told we'd be squadded next. RO stuck our cards and a few others in his pocket and went back to working the line. When the shooting group was about done, another RO walked over to the table and started calling off names for the "next" group of shooters completely oblivous to the fact that his fellow RO had just done this! If another guy in our group hadn't said something, we would have been "bumped" because of their failure to communicate.

In addition, when we handed in the cards, we informed the RO that we were sharing a 26 in ACS and wanted to stagger the order in which we shot so that there would be time to reload the mags without causing a hickup in the schedule. This info was not communicated up the line and my wife and I got split up. This was an honest mistake, but again shows failure to communicate.

Amen. We own 4 mags (or more) for each gun we had with us. However, we were sharing 26 in ACS and asked that things be staggered such that mags would be ready by the next time they were needed.

Some of the shooters were new and didn't know they *needed* 4 mags. They were likely told that everything they *needed* for the match came with the gun when they bought it. Let's just hope they learn before next time.

Again, communication. The ROs did not instruct the waiting shooters to help paste. Every other match I've been to, the on-deck and in-the-hole shooters were HANDED pasters and instructed to help out. The seasoned shooters did help out, but the new guys didn't. This is also training. If we don't tell them or show them what to do, they aren't going to do it.

The shooters weren't the only ones failing to pitch in. On the M, I watched as 3/4 ROs on each setup repeatedly walked back to the firing line while 1 RO remained down range to paste 3/4 targets.

13. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Well FireGlock...you got the talkin' part done...but be honest now, are those mags LOADED when you get to my table? Well, ARE THEY???
    Yes, of course they are, 'cause those Florida Boyz you run with would hang you by your shortz if you pulled a rookie boner like that!
    I'm glad the RO's are getting a chance to vent!

14. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

WWhy not just let us RO's have this thread sans your excuses? We've (really) heard them all before. Just let us have a little latitude here...Like the guy said, we get a yellow shirt and the privledge of showing up 2 hrs early, staying 1 hr late, and getting all those dirty looks... how 'bout letting us have this thread w/o a shooter ragging us and "explaining" why they are right and we are waaaay stupid....

15. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Gang, I've never R.O.'d a GSSF event, but done some match directing and such in other pistol/rifle disciplines over the last 20+ years. Believe me, these pet peeves you mention extend across the galaxy of shooting sports known to mankind!;)

16. GJM89

GJM89

Hell, we don't just get a shirt ,we get a hat also., and some of us really need a hat on those sunny days when were ROing.Right Jerry.;Q ;Q ;Q

17. MickAv8r

MickAv8r

We shouldn't have to ASK or TELL anyone to tape - I'd bet less than 20% of the shooters at a GSSF match are virgin competitors - they have ignorance as an excuse - nobody else does.

Brian - no kidding LOL - especially since some of the same faces are at those other disciplines as well.

18. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I do really like the Blue/Gold...and Red really does become you....I think that maybe the blue/gold color might assist my color balance....How about unloading some of those toys....I don't think anyone up from the Nortwest area would mind .....I need a good 9 anyhoo;)

19. murph2127

murph2127

As someone who has Ro'ed several GSSF magazines I can understand the Ro's frustration with the lack of available magazines, but I started bringing G17 and G22 mags to let shooters use- as long as I get them back I don't mind.

My biggest frustration (remembering back 4 years ago to my first match) is that the RO training is (or was then) slim to nill. I had to buttonhole a shooter and make him show me how the stage worked., I had never shot in a GSSF match, I had plenty of experience officiating USPSA and IDPA matches, but not GSSF. I showed up to RO because they were shorthanded and the call came out for help. I had no idea how any of the stages worked and there wasn't much support for me to figure it out. I recall looking at the painted dot on the ground and saying "what the hell is that for?" . The majority of the RO meeting that year pertained to how to manage the score sheets. It was assumed that we all knew the stages I guess.

Funny part is that year all the Ro's were USPSA shooters and I remember when it was time for the RO's to shoot, none owned glocks. ;) They shared one as they shot the match.

Contrary to what a previous poster said, GSSF has the same as or more of the "gamer BS" of IDPA or any other shooting sport for that matter. Do not forget there is money and guns on the line here, (something IDPA doesn't have FWIW). That always makes it a business for some competitors. Most shooters are out there to have fun but there is the Cadre of hard core GSSF shooters who are totally serious. Shooters get just as gamey, sensitive and competitive in GSSF as they do in USPSA matches or IDPA matches. I've seen my share of stressed out and amped up competitors at a GSSF match. They are a minority, but they are present nonetheless. It's just important for an RO to treat them as well and as fair as any other shooter.

Ted

20. MickAv8r

MickAv8r

This year I noticed the "gamer" attitude more than in previous ((that Frank Koo guy is the WORST ;Q) ;f J/K) years. I think what sets GSSF apart is that the gamers are only a small percentage of the total populartion where in IDPA it's a much more significant amount. You would think that with real prizes on the line it would be worse, but I think it's due to the fact that for many it's the first time they've ever competed so they don't fully realize they can be walking away with a free gun. Course the above makes me really shake my head at the gamer idiots in IDPA getting so uptight over a $7 dollar trophy ;Q

With regards to RO training, we always had at least printed writeups of the stages and RO issues (I think this year GSSF provided it, so anybody with RO experience could just walk up, read through the sheet and be ready to rock) this made it much easier than when we first started running IDPA matches and virtually non of the RO staff had any inkling of the IDPA rules as they had never even competed in IDPA before and IDPA's RO training is a joke.