close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Ongoing Saga of My Mentally Unstable Neighbor

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fireslayer23, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

I have posted this on a couple of other forums around the net and figured some of you guys might want to take a peek.

I have a mentally unstable neighbor (UN) who preaches at all hours to his invisible church. UN does this in the street, in his yard, in both my front and back yard, in the other neighbors yards. This has been going on for about 4 years now. My wife and I bought our house about 6.5 years ago.

UN goes off on tirades at the top of his lungs about punks, we're all going to burn in a lake of fire, so and so sure looked good laying in that casket, Jesus is going to torture us all when we die, those North Korean terrorists and the other day he was going off about some actress who died but I can't remember her name at the moment. The list is endless, but you get the idea. This is almost a daily occurrence and some days it goes on almost all day. It has gotten to the point where my wife and I can't hardly go out on the back porch and smoke or talk on the phone.

I have called the police countless times, my neighbors have called the police and I believe people driving down the main road off our street have called the police. The police don't do anything, but get UN to go inside and he just comes back out after taking a break either later on the same day/night or he waits until the next day when he's had a full battery charge.

A few nights ago, UN was going off on one of his tirades and I went outside to film him with my phone, but it was too dark. I lit him up with a flashlight and he had pissed himself. The police showed up (I didn't call them yet) and talked him down and into the house. The cop didn't come over to speak to me, he just got in car and left.

I have spoken with the police on several occasions to no avail. I caught UN in my back yard one day, called the cops and they told me to build a fence.

I've heard UN and his mother that lives in the house, go at it on several occasions.

Now, I travel for work and I'm gone anywhere from overnight to several weeks at a time. I may be in the state, out of the state or even out of the country. This leaves my wife at home alone with UN next door and we don't ever know what is going to happen or when. I have firearms in place around the house, my wife knows how and is not afraid to use them. I also have a monitored alarm system on the house.

I know, "Holy Wall Of Text" but I feel the situation is reaching critical mass.

I was at the gun shop the other day and there two off duty cops in their street clothes, I didn't know they were cops at first, that I told they needed to come pick up my neighbor and they both knew about him. This furthered my opinion that nothing is going to be done about this ever, unless I do something.

I sent a link to my YouTube account to the mayor's office Wednesday (1/18) along with an email outlining the situation with UN. I received a response shortly thereafter from one of the city council members stating that she would forward it on to the chief of police and she appreciated my concerns. I informed her that I had been dealing with the police on this matter for close to 4 years with no improvement in the situation. Which she then replied that she wasn't sure that he was breaking any laws and the police would have to review the videos and make a determination.

Thursday afternoon (1/19), I get an email from a police officer telling me to call him when I had a chance and he would discuss the situation with me. I called the officer, very friendly and personable, and we spoke for close to 20 minutes about my neighbor where he informally detailed his history with him over the years, he had UN Baker Acted once a while ago, he knew the state gave UN a lot of treatment and his mother (81 years old) owned the house and tried to take care of him. The mother can't deal with him anymore, at her age it is no surprise, and she feels terrible about what those of us in the area have had to endure.

The officer I spoke to and his partner had already been to UN's house and spoke with the mother, I don't know if the officers showed her the videos or not, but they all came to the conclusion that UN needed to be removed from the home. The officer made an "emergency" call to DHS, after speaking with the mother, and they are going to be here Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

The officer said he was going to push the matter, if DHS wasn't willing to remove him from the home, and said that he had friends at the state level in Tallahassee that he would contact if need be.

Ever since Thursday UN has been ranting on the main road west our houses out of sight and I haven't been able to capture it. I'd almost bet that he was at home when the cops showed up and got wind that I was video taping him, so he moved his AO.

We'll see what happens next.

I have 9 videos uploaded on my YouTube account that I have taken of my neighbor. Some are just a couple of minutes, some are close to or over 10 minutes. You don't need to be a member to watch them or give an email address out. Yes, I know the legalities of video taping someone without their express permission and I am staying within the law.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crushthesheeple?feature=mhee

01/26/2012 Update

Alright, I talked to the police officer yesterday. DHS showed up Tuesday while I was in Daytona working and they didn't talk to the officer I've been in touch with until middle of the morning yesterday. I actually called him before he had a chance to call me, because I hadn't heard or seen any activity over there. We talked for over 20 minutes about this.

I'm going to hit the high points here and try to keep this as short as possible.

It boils down to this, UN is self sufficient and does his own laundry, cooks his own meals, runs errands for his mother (who is 83 not 81, btw) and generally takes care of himself. DHS and the cops both think that he is mentally fit but to quote, "Does weird ****." The cop said he can carry on a normal conversation and is capable of conducting himself normally. There are no signs of abuse in the home, the home is clean and kept in good order. As such, he cannot be remanded to state care at the time.

That being said, because he is seen as mentally fit, the cops told me is behavior is in breach of peace, he can be grabbed for trespassing and generally any other thing that happens. This was conferred to UN and his mother and that his behavior would not be tolerated.

The cops said they have started a special file, for me to keep rolling video within the confines of the law like I've been doing and to refer to his section every time a patrol officer shows up when we make a call. The officer said to absolutely call every time UN flies off the handle and they will cite him or arrest him. To get anything more permanent done, they are going to have to build a case, but there is a case to be made. He would put up a bulletin on the patrol board about UN, I have no way of knowing if he'll actually do this or not.

The officer stated that would be making regular welfare check stops by the house or checking on him when they seem him walking down the road going wherever it is he goes.

I'm probably leaving several things out at this point, but my mind is kind of jacked up right now and I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do. I just got a 6 month + contract job offer for huge money (nearly 6 figures if I'm only there for 6 months), but I will be 3 hours away from home and working 7 days a week more often than not. This would also have me bagging the current company I'm contracting for that I've known and worked with the owner for 11 years now. I don't know if I can leave my wife here with this going on.

01/28/2012

UN has been at it again after a short layoff. I whipped out the video camera and shot some footage. I called the cops and received a call back stating that they weren't going to do anything. I immediately sent a link to my YouTube account along with a short letter have been sent to all four news stations. I also sent a short email describing what happened today to the officer that I had been dealing with.

1 video is up now with another being uploaded and edited as type this.

The job offer I received did not go through. The recruiter and the project manager had their wires crossed and I did not have one of the qualifications that project manager was looking for. Dammit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. sugarcreek

sugarcreek familyman

I read about that guy in One Second After...

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

This just proves that Port St. Lucie is the center of weirdness in the southern US.

4. BK63

BK63

I would next go to the local news and have them do a story on this. Around here if you have a story like that and can't get results the local news station is glad to get involved. Once on the news they light a fire under people.

5. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dealing with emotionally disturbed individuals is one of the most difficult tasks the police have. It has been my experience that the disturbed person has to be acting out in such an outrageous way that the mental health people have little option but to intercede. All too often officers will take such a person into custody, bring them to the mental health people and within a short period of time the offending person will be back where they started.

Keep making complaints. There is no good answer to this problem.

6. norton

norton

I have a friend who lived next door to a guy-not as bad though-who would walk out to his roadside mailbox every day, remove the mail then throw it at passing cars, all the while ranting and raving about Lord knows what. The lights would be on all hours of the night at his home. The story was he had been a college professor, but use of illegal drugs had burned out his brain. My friend finally moved away.
    I hope your situation gets resolved.

7. TX expat

TX expat

That's a sad situation and I doubt there is a better answer than what you are doing now. As ChiefWPD said, just keep making complaints and document everything you can. Sadly unless/until the state intervenes there is probably no easy answer for you, unless you want to move away from him.

I'd make sure your wife keeps that alarm system on all the time and I'd let the security company know the situation so they will be quick to react to any alarm trips. Much better to have an occasional overreaction than to allow your wife to be harmed because of lack of reaction.

8. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

This goes on all across Florida, there is no concern to the public about quality of life issues. They are ignored repeatedly with, "they aren't breaking any law as I can tell", and then drive off.

9. razageorge

razageorge

Paintball gun from a spider hole every time he comes out. His mother must be bat sheet crazy by now, sadly.

10. Officer X

Officer X

I do not know the laws in your state, but in mine we would not be able to remove him from the house unless he was threatening others or threatening to do harm to himself.

What we would definitely do is make a call to one of the local hospiatal's PESS units (psychiatric evaluation screening service) and request a mobile evaluation. They would come out to the house with officers and speak with the individual and in a case like this, more than likely recommend he be transported to the hospital for further treatment. As per state statute once they do this, he goes whether he wants to or not. They would evaluate him further at the hospital and if warranted, commit him for further treatment or release him after 48 hours.

This is not just an issue that we (police) can snap our fingers and fix, like someone else said, dealing with these issues can be very difficult. We can however make the appropriate referrals to have the right people involved.

Like I said, I don't know how your state works, but just about every hospital around here has a unit to deal with this and they also take phone referrals from concerned people other than LEOs to follow up on. May be worth looking into.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Bad situation all around.

On one hand we don't want to have to put up with such a thing but on the other hand we don't want the government to be able to "put people away" too easily either.

12. pal2511

pal2511

Unless he is going to hurt himself or others there is not a lot the Police can do. Just keep an eye on him

13. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

Save the excuses. The police could pick him up for disturbing the peace, trespassing and public endangerment at the very least. Then there's the matter of him standing out in the street yelling about "****s" that I have on video. Sounds like hate speech to me.

My wife is half Japanese and I won't stand for her to have to listen this.

If DHS or the state or whoever aren't going to do anything with him, I'm not keeping an eye on him. We're moving and I don't mean across town, I mean out of the state.

I'll mail my house keys to the bank, wish them well, send them a link to my YouTube account and tell them to contact the city for payment of the mortgage.

Even if I could sell the house for what I owe, I wouldn't sell this house to someone knowing that someone like my neighbor lives next door.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. l0_0l

l0_0l beat that beat

what's the problem?... you smoke cigarettes and talk to your people on your phone on your porch. And he talks to his people on his porch.

15. CaptCave

CaptCave

If you go outside and tell him to shut up, what will happen?

16. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

:supergrin:

I'd rather his people be tangible or visible and his porch not be everywhere but his porch.

17. g29andy

g29andy CLM

same clothes, same pose in every video--crazy!

18. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I'd water my plants and hose that idiot down with my garden hose. I'd 'baptise' him. :wavey:

19. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

He makes you uncomfortable and you want to lock him away.

What if you make the neighbor on the other side of you uncomfortable?

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

20. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

Nothing. I've literally chased him out of my backyard telling him to, "Shut the F up, get out of my F'ing yard and get in his F'ing house." He got out of my yard real quick, but merely cut around the back of his house and continued his rant out in the street. I called the cops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.