The Night John Lennon Was Shot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I mentioned this in another thread, but I didn't want to derail that one, so I thought I would post this here instead. I found an interesting, "30 year anniversary" video of the night John Lennon was shot, and what transpired that Monday night in 1980. It's very interesting...I had no idea that it was so complex. I wasn't born yet, not until 1983.

This video was recorded in 2010.

My father was watching Monday Night Football when he found out, and he was deeply moved by it. He grew up in the 60s and 70s, so he was really connected to that generation.

Where were you? How did you find out? Did his death affect you as well, or did you not care for his music?

Discuss.

cyberghostx13, IamtheNRA and ZX14R like this.
  2. Bish1309

Bish1309

The keyboardist in my band called me up to inform me. I wasn't a big Beatles fan but the senseless loss of life as well as the music was important for me being a weekend warrior musician.
    I've come to appreciate their music more and more as I mature in my musical experience. They were wonderful songwriters....make no mistake.

Many of my friends were devastated as was the world.

In reflection, I never blamed the gun. Just the crazy assailant.

IamtheNRA, Gray_Rider and Jade Falcon like this.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Apparently, Chapman used a Charter Arms .38 revolver. In New York. The same brand that the Son Of Sam used....also in New York.

Odd coincidence. Were Charters that popular back then?

ZX14R likes this.
  4. Bish1309

Bish1309

Good sleuthing. You know more than I. I do believe though still back then revolvers were more available than semi's for obvious reasons. Maybe the ammo was easy to get, too? I'm just guessing. No idea if a coincidence or not between Chap and SoS.

I'm just over flowing with information, eh?

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Bravo Sir!.

So many probably did.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

IamtheNRA, Bish1309 and Jade Falcon like this.
  6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The gun Son of Sam used was a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special and the gun the dirtbag who shot Lennon used was a charter Arms undercover. And yes Those guns were popular back then in the late seventies early 80's. and I bough t a Bulldog back in 1976 and reloaded for it with a ten dollar Lee loader and Unique powder.

Lennon was shot on a Monday in the evening East coast time and i was on the west coast and didn't hear about it until the next day. I was working on a remodel the next day with 2 0ther guys and we listened to the radio all day and were profoundly saddened by the news.

I liked the Beatles and I especially liked Lennon. a friend of mine had a girlfriend who worked at the Troubadour, a popular L.A club the night Lennon came in drunk with a sanitary napkin tied on his head.

He was drunk and out of control and one of the waitresses cut him off and wouldn't serve him anymore drinks. Lennon got pissed of an d started yelling "Do you know who I am??? Do you know who I am???" and the waitress said, "Yeah, your'e the A-hole with the Kotex on his head." And Lennon broke down and started crying.

He was one in a million and I was sorry to see him killed, shot in the back by some cowardly punk.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  7. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

It bothered me more when Keith Moon died.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Travelinman

Travelinman Banned

It would.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I was just about to send you a response in the other thread inviting you to this one. :cheers:

10. F14A

F14A

The Charter Arms revolver was very inexpensive..

Darkangel1846 and Jade Falcon like this.
  11. Detectorist

Detectorist

I never undrstoodwhat the big deal was. He had good music but, as far as I can tell, his death didn't affect me. There was only one celebrity I shed a tear for.

treg, Victor Dubya and Jade Falcon like this.
  12. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

yup, was watching MNF also. Howard had JL on MNF a number of times as they were friends too.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  13. Scouse

Scouse

Back in the early 60s, I was working at the Cavern Club, on Matthew Street Liverpool UK, as a Bouncer. My full-time job was erecting TV Aerials, and installing Rental TVs. Company named Telefusion.
    I used my Work Van as transport. Someone had messed up the transport of the Beatles to a Club in Southport. Three Bouncers were slated to work at that Club, from Liverpool. The reason, the last time a Liverpool Groupe played there, their instruments were damaged. The Security at that time were uniformed Commissioners, older retired servicemen, in uniform. Me Georgy Downs, Larry Newport were the Bouncers and ended up transporting the Gear Instruments, and Amps.
    It was a 2 story place, Dance floor, ground floor, the upstairs, a balcony.
    We were Liverpool Bouncer style dressed. Black suit, clip-on bow ties.
    Bother boots, crape soled lightweight boots, with hard toes. All in our early 30s. Larry retired SAS, a maniac. George was big! Me 5'10' 200lbs.
    To the Southport crowd. Very intimidating. We heard the whispers."They are Scouse Bouncers." Not one incident. Our system of patrolling, on our own. And no damage to the kit. Not long after that, Mal Evans was employed as a Roady, for the Lads. Shot by the Police in California? A few years later, pointed an unloaded Air Pistol at Police.

NoStress, tuica, Lockback and 3 others like this.
  14. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

It occurred 10 months before I got here. I’ve always been a big Beatles fan. The film “Chapter 27” is an interesting insight into the entire weird tragedy and Jared Leto does a good job as Mark David Chapman.

15. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I heard the news when getting up for work in the morning. I’ve been to Strawberry Fields a few times, and there’s always someone sobbing, or playing a guitar.

Von Hayes and Jade Falcon like this.
  16. NoStress

NoStress

His death did not affect me at all and that is probably why I don't remember where I was or how I found out. His music was too whiny for my likes.

whiny
    [ˈ(h)wīnē]
    ADJECTIVE
    whiney (adjective) · whinier (comparative adjective) · whiniest (superlative adjective)
    1. having a drawn-out, high-pitched, unpleasant sound

treg, Jade Falcon, mj9mm and 2 others like this.
  17. DAKA

DAKA

I was never a huge Beatles fan, but a tragedy never the less....
    When the Beatles did the concert in Queens, I was picking my wife up at the subway in Forest hills, you could hear the roar of the crowd

Jade Falcon and Rinspeed like this.
  18. xdmikey

xdmikey

I heard it on the car radio in the morning(8ish); went in to tell the GF and she was packing her junk, heading back to Buffalo, Tonawanda to be exact.

I used to own a Charter Arms .38. Cool for a first gun but we couldn’t hit squat with it.

Was Mark Chapman from Dallas(HPHS?)? I think I remember him.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

I was 9 and heard about it the next morning. We were in my mom’s car when we heard about it on the radio. I didn’t appreciate the Beatles then as much as I would a few years later.

Jade Falcon and Bish1309 like this.
  20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I was watching MNF the night it happened. It was unusual for me during that time to be watching any TV, so I was really into the game. Not so much after Cosell made the announcement.

Just seemed so senseless.

People wonder why famous people have loads of security.

IamtheNRA, Jade Falcon and Gray_Rider like this.