GlockTalk Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
AAAMAD
30,976 Posts
P

Please re-read my post yesterday at 4:32: “It’s not the kneeling.” I, and obviously many MANY others recognize and dislike the use of any venue which uses the National anthem playing to draw attention to their personal concerns.” Standing is the National gesture to show respect. Anything else is disrespectful! ...and you are completely wrong when you said that standing “...is the recent MO.” Have you never gone to a ball game - anywhere?

A.Kneeling was specifically chosen to be a respectful gesture. You have still fail to explain what is disrespectful about it? Or are you just stuck on “it’s not standing” and that’s all you can manage to be offended about?

B. You should look up the history of it. It wasn’t originally played at every sporting event.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
WWI World Series introduced Francis Scott Key's anthem to the sporting world. (you all knew that already - I had to look it up)

"(false) Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" wrote Samuel Johnson. (he was long winded, true - see below snip... but well thought out essays are well thought out - see The Patriot by S.Johnson)
"A patriot is necessarily and invariably a lover of the people. But even this mark may sometimes deceive us.
The people is a very heterogeneous and confused mass of the wealthy and the poor, the wise and the foolish, the good and the bad. Before we confer on a man, who caresses the people, the title of patriot, we must examine to what part of the people he directs his notice. It is proverbially said, that he who dissembles his own character, may be known by that of his companions. If the candidate of patriotism endeavours to infuse right opinions into the higher ranks, and, by their influence, to regulate the lower; if he consorts chiefly with the wise, the temperate, the regular, and the virtuous, his love of the people may be rational and honest. But if his first or principal application be to the indigent, who are always inflammable; to the weak, who are naturally suspicious; to the ignorant, who are easily misled; and to the profligate, who have no hope but from mischief and confusion; let his love of the people be no longer boasted. No man can reasonably be thought a lover of his country, for roasting an ox, or burning a boot, or attending the meeting at Mile-end, or registering his name in the lumber troop. He may, among the drunkards, be a hearty fellow, and, among sober handicraftmen, a free-spoken gentleman; but he must have some better distinction, before he is a patriot."
Johnson: The Patriot

Reactions: Squid1

·
Registered
14,557 Posts
Just curious, a sign of disrespect to whom? I was a Marine, I dont know anybody who actuall served that finds this disrespectful. Only fake conservatives that dont actually believe in freedom of speech. It is more respectful than the 90% of fans in the stand (which includes conservatives) that either dont stand, or stand and continue eating or drinking their beers or shifting around or scrathing or talking to friends.
A sign of disrespect to the country and it's principles. I understand you don't find it disrespectful and apparently neither did the vet that conferred it to Colin. Many fans do and that is the point if owners want to keep making a profit on their fan base.
What constitutes a fake conservative? All that is BS to take away from the discussion, like being weak spirited or a snowflake. Who here has tried to restrict anyone their right to free speech? Did you take a knee in the Marines to protest? Do you just take a knee when you are at work now?
As for fans eating and drinking during the Anthem, I am sure it happens and that is disrespectful BUT I sure didn't see it at the Stars games I went to and I went to a lot of them last year. This year? Nope?
It doesn't upset you as a Marine (there are no former Marines obviously) that these athletes support a false narrative that is BLM. Do you support communism as a Marine? Do you support lawlessness on the streets that BLM promotes?
I just don't get how so many folks have no sense of principles anymore.
Do whatever you want. Go catch a game if you want. Many here take an opposite view regardless of what you call us.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,511 Posts
As for fans eating and drinking during the Anthem, I am sure it happens and that is disrespectful BUT I sure didn't see it at the Stars games I went to and I went to a lot of them last year.
I know you didn't see such disrespect at the Stars games last season. But that's because it was an NHL game. Let's just say NHL fans are somewhat different than the fans of other sports.

·
Varmit Control
7,245 Posts
Some people are going to ask "What is disrespectful about NFL players burning the flag while shouting "Death to America"?

It could be celebrity worship, lots of rabid fans out there.

You should probably read back a page or two, the article that explains how they came to kneel was posted.

You don’t have to agree with their protest. (I don’t). But if you try to argue they’re being disrespectful, you’re just arguing that you’re ill informed, or choosing to be incorrect.

Which is perfectly ok, just be honest about it.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Kinda disappointed with "canned" crowd noise during the games... borderline disgusted... but stupid is as stupid does, NBC and there it is. (or was that an NHL call?)

Did see most all players standing during pregame Anthems (if that's still germane...) in my defense I was checking so you guys wouldn't have to deal with the disgusting disrespect on display, so I took one for the team as it were. I'm like that. (OK Not really. I'm lying)

I did stand during the Anthem (did you? aha look at me virtue flag wave - O CAN A DA! Our home and native land...)

Some team is 16 wins away from Lord Stanley.

How many here know the Canadian Anthem as a result of watching NHL over the years?

Glad Calgary and Montreal made the playoffs (waiting for the @NorthStars and @BroadStreetBullies to send them packing)

Canned crowd Noise? Disgusting (need more organ music - hahahaha)

161 - 169 of 169 Posts