GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
It's missing 'TRUMP' in big letters across it, after all, Trump Jr and then Ivanka will be using it after their dad.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I think the dark blue looks good. Old paint looks good also.

What is the reason for getting rid of air refueling? Does it take up a lot of room - meaning the piping and whatever controls are needed? I have no idea what is involved in installing air refueling.

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
9,913 Posts

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the upgrades should be based on this ship:

upload_2020-10-29_16-40-57.jpeg

I don't think Photon torpedo's would be too hard to add.

·
Aw sheet main
1,554 Posts
I'm good with changing it too. Wipe out years of swampiness, and a way for Trump to leave his mark, even if he never rides in it. Plus, it's like our flag flying around!
I have no doubt President Pence will call up The Don, and invite him along for the inaugural flight.

·
Premium Member
24,832 Posts
I think the dark blue looks good. Old paint looks good also.

What is the reason for getting rid of air refueling? Does it take up a lot of room - meaning the piping and whatever controls are needed? I have no idea what is involved in installing air refueling.
Basically what I read about this when Trump questioned high cost. They take a finished plane, strip it down. Custom make a air connection patch toward front. Then develop mid air refueling standards for 2 aircraft, training, practice. Mid air refueling is dangerous. It has a un refueled range of over 8000 miles. (Depending on load over 9000) You have to run high pressure lines thru aircraft to fuel tanks. A leak can be dangerous. As for safety mid air refueling with the President. My understanding is that it has NEVER been done with Executive branch on plane. Due to risks. Plus huge cost. During Cold War it made sense.

$5.3 billion?

must have some pretty sweet gear.
It’s two “one off” planes. Lots of special gear, custom interior, safety, communications, radar, flares, onboard kitchen, medical... (IMO a “lifeboat“ that could detach should be considered) Plus I understood the price included maintenance, upgrades for a decade? AF1 CAN NOT break down. If a engine gives minor issue. They have spare engine ready to swap. Normal airline maintenance times are shortened. I hope (assuming the planes are in as good a shape as I think). They keep current planes for redundancy. I highly doubt the airframes have near the hours, cycles a normal airline plane has. Repaint they should be very useful.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I think not having AR is a bad idea. You may not need it much, but when you need it, you really need it.
I can think of two times when I was really glad to pull up under that tanker. Down to emergency fuel with landing gear problems. One night we worked about 2 hours getting the gear down. Of course that was in a 'ratty' old B-52, not AF one.

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
I remember when Trump objected to obscene price for the planes. He suggested to keep using his personal plane.
Of course media condemned him getting $1.4 BILLION savings.
From what I gather based on the video, it doesn't sound like we actually saved anything. $84M for flight manuals?!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Most people in the US are used to seeing one Presidential 747.
Depending where they go internationally, they might take both aircraft, one as a spare. I saw both parked nose to nose years ago in Sao Paulo, Brazil, awesome sight.

They aren't hauling spare engines around. As for air refueling, if they can't find a friendly strip with a 8000 mile range jet, the Prez has screwed up everything beyond repair and should be taken prisoner ;)

·
Premium Member
24,832 Posts
From what I gather based on the video, it doesn't sound like we actually saved anything. $84M for flight manuals?!
As it’s a unique bird in many respects. It likely has the largest electrical load of any 747-8, most communication gear, remodeled interior. Every rerouted wire needs to be accounted for, made sure no sharp edges, other important gear.
At least he started reducing cost. If he is re-elected I suspect they won’t get near the cost overruns that Harris will allow.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
$5.3 billion?

must have some pretty sweet gear.
That is kind of expected with custom, specially built equipment.

The cost of building something is usually spread out over the expected amount of equipment to be built. The first person to buy, say... a passenger plane... does not pay for all the development costs and construction, otherwise airlines would never be able to afford the first model.

Every minute spent on the new Air Force 1 is billed to the government. Boeing is not expecting to ever build more of that model. 30 something years from now, it will be some entirely new design - will all the associated costs again charged to a single customer, the US government.

Using two "leftover" planes from the "dealer lot" is pretty intelligent. Boeing gets to actually sell the planes instead of losing money on them, they look good for giving a "deal" to the taxpayers, and the President gets to announce a cost savings... even though all the money being talked about, more or less, is in the Billions of dollars.

·
It can be done
7,597 Posts
I like the new look.

Never liked the old look, it screamed that we wanted to be the worlds whipping post, not a good look for a hyperpower.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I lime the new livery. It just needs a huge presidential seal on the forward fuselage.

:waving:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts