GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Pinky Out
59,168 Posts
No, not desolation, just being apart from having anything else, or anyone, or any thing to process. No schedule, no requests. Just the ones generated by my own whims or desires.
Oh yeah!
I love that ****!

I do that when I can by staying at home. :wavey:

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have those days, yes. In the summer, I like to go fishing. In winter, I curl up on the couch and watch a movie. Watching Ford v Ferrari right now. Good movie actually.

·
Firm member
29,900 Posts
I take a solo motorcycle ride once a year for two weeks. Just me, my bike, and my camping gear. I wish I could do it full time.
I do the exact same thing every year the last week of August. I take eight days, go as far as I can in four then turn around taking a different route back. Very, very soothing. HH

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I do the exact same thing every year the last week of August. I take eight days, go as far as I can in four then turn around taking a different route back. Very, very soothing. HH
This year, I'm heading to New Hampshire. Plan to ride up Mt Washington and ride the Kancamagus. Maybe head into Maine. Can't wait!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Adamstown. Pitcairn Island. I could imagine living there for about 6 months.

On the seventh month I’d be sitting in my hut, drinking rum with a cat in my lap writing the Unibomber Manifesto Part II....

9156FECD-7AF4-42A0-B8B7-8C27E01255F4.jpeg

·
Director of civil unrest
9,263 Posts
Anyone else have a "need" to be alone. Like, miles from any form of communication? Completely, totally disconnected. Alone with just your thoughts. A Deserted island where you can imagine it looks now like it did 10,000 years ago. No music or even a radio. Hunting is a close parallel. You've filed a flight plan with your kin so they know where to look for you if you don't show up.

Just gone for a while....
Every. Day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Used to call it "going to Sean church"... I'd drop the boat in the water, head on out, and anchor someplace. I miss that boat.

Reactions: inthefrey

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Take a week and do a Canadian back country fly-in fishing trip.
No contact at all for a week until they come back. No phones, no internet, no papers, no roads... Don't break a leg early in the week, it would suck...

When I get out the first thing I do is get the news.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,263 Posts
Take a week and do a Canadian back country fly-in fishing trip.
No contact at all for a week until they come back. No phones, no internet, no papers, no roads... Don't break a leg early in the week, it would suck...

When I get out the first thing I do is get the news.
But don't do this!

·
Come on man!!
14,819 Posts
For several years I had a four-hour commute to work. I would often spend the time in complete silence, with just my thoughts.

It was incredibly relaxing.

Reactions: G19Tony

·
Moved on...
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
For several years I had a four-hour commute to work. I would often spend the time in complete silence, with just my thoughts.

It was incredibly relaxing.
My current commute is an hour each way from New Brighton, PA, through Pittsburgh to New Kensington, PA. It's actually not a bad ride but, after a 10hr shift it can be a drag. Especially at 0100 in the morning. (1400-0100)

·
Polymerlicious!
6,002 Posts
Anyone else have a "need" to be alone. Like, miles from any form of communication? Completely, totally disconnected. Alone with just your thoughts. A Deserted island where you can imagine it looks now like it did 10,000 years ago. No music or even a radio. Hunting is a close parallel. You've filed a flight plan with your kin so they know where to look for you if you don't show up.

Just gone for a while....
All the time. I’m kind of a loner, although most people who know me would say I’m the life of the party. I’m both, depending on my mood and the other folks.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I like hanging out with me. I can relate 100% to this post. Between cell phones and texting and whatnot people wear me the hell out. Some of my friends need to get a life, find something to do and leave me alone. I don’t need to hear from you everyday. Go away.

·
Secret Squirrel
240 Posts
I like to hike and camp with friends but several times each year I'll go alone for 2, 3 or 4 days at a time. Hike a few miles out into the woods and find a place with no cell phone coverage. Just me, a nice fire, an adult beverage or two, and my G29. A lot of times I don't see another person from the time I leave my car until the time I get back to civilization.

Before I retired that was the only way I could get a few days of peace and know that nobody would call me with some sort or real or imagined emergency. I would send a message to my entire group and post an out of office voice mail greeting and email auto-responder. "Out of office until next Tuesday with NO access to phone or messaging." That helped me keep my sanity for several years of a high responsibility and high stress job where our leadership expected us to be available 24/7.

I still love and need that but for different reasons now. Alone time is important. Can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I often go for days without turning my damn cell phone on. my wife doesn't like that, but the phone is there for MY convenience/safety; not for others'.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts