Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the 2011 movie Contagion. In the movie bats and pigs were the vector for the disease. 25% mortality rate, lots of looting, nothing about toilet paper. Worth watching.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,929 Posts
I watched it last night. It was a rather good flick...

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
My wife and I saw it several years ago. It basically used the Nipah virus as a viral template.

I have no doubt that China has been doing some “Gain of function manipulation” with that virus as well.

Just be glad that particular “research” project hasn’t gotten loose, otherwise there’d be a lot fewer people on Glock Talk.

·
Registered
81,078 Posts
My wife and I saw it several years ago. It basically used the Nipah virus as a viral template.

I have no doubt that China has been doing some “Gain of function manipulation” with that virus as well.

Just be glad that particular “research” project hasn’t gotten loose, otherwise there’d be a lot fewer people on Glock Talk.
Is that the India 4 that you've talked about?

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Is that the India 4 that you've talked about?
Not even close. I think you are referring to IL-4 India One. That virus has a theoretical mortality rate of 100%.

It’s 2nd generation weaponized Variola Major (AKA Smallpox).
Basically it’s a civilization ender. The Biotechnology to produce this virus is over 20 years old. Dual expression viruses are the newest Class of Bioweapons.

Back to the movie “Contagion.”
The CDC was consulted on how a pandemic would actually evolve. I thought the movie was the best of this genre.

·
Registered
81,078 Posts
Not even close. I think you are referring to IL-4 India One. That virus has a theoretical mortality rate of 100%.

It’s 2nd generation weaponized Variola Major (AKA Smallpox).
Basically it’s a civilization ender. The Biotechnology to produce this virus is over 20 years old. Dual expression viruses are the newest Class of Bioweapons.
I'm not finding anything on Google for IL-4 India One. I'm just curious. Weaponized Small Pox did pop up on Google. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
You guys need to watch Containment. It's a pretty accurate portrayal of the world 83% of Glock Talkers think they are living in:

View: https://youtu.be/ASb4aL2nrEI
I remember this movie. Not realistic as far as the mortality rate goes. No naturally occurring flu virus has ever come anywhere close to a 100% mortality rate.

Highest mortality rate for an airborne efficiently transmitted virus is the Fouchier strain of H5N1. As contagious as seasonal flu with a 60% mortality rate. It was a “Gain of Function” research project done at the Erasmus Institute a few years ago.

Not sure which concerns me the most, Bioweapon research or Gain of Function.

Oh well, just be glad China had an “oops” moment with this virus. The mortality rate of SARS CoV 2 will likely turn out to be 1% or less.

We may not be so lucky with their next “oops” moment.

·
NRA Life Member
66,481 Posts
I remember this movie. Not realistic as far as the mortality rate goes. No naturally occurring flu virus has ever come anywhere close to a 100% mortality rate.

Highest mortality rate for an airborne efficiently transmitted virus is the Fouchier strain of H5N1. As contagious as seasonal flu with a 60% mortality rate. It was a “Gain of Function” research project done at the Erasmus Institute a few years ago.

Not sure which concerns me the most, Bioweapon research or Gain of Function.

Oh well, just be glad China had an “oops” moment with this virus. The mortality rate of SARS CoV 2 will likely turn out to be 1% or less.

We may not be so lucky with their next “oops” moment.
You are thinking of something else - Containment is not a movie, it's a TV series, and it isn't about a flu virus or anything naturally occurring.

Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I'm not finding anything on Google for IL-4 India One. I'm just curious. Weaponized Small Pox did pop up on Google. Scary stuff.
You won’t. No proof that any lab has actually created it. Unfortunately, it’s a safe bet that China has.

According to Kanatjan Alibekov, the former Soviet Union lost or misplaced 2 tons of India One. Insert the gene that codes for Interleukin 4 into the viral DNA and “voila,”
IL-4 India One.

Variola Major is the perfect virus for weaponization. Perfect size for aerosolized dispersion. It’s also a very large virus. Lots of room for genetic manipulation of its DNA. In fact, probably the best choice for a dual expression Bioweapon.

Back to Contagion. The Nipah virus is a pathogen that WHO has been watching for years.
It’s highly contagious for pigs. Nearly 100% mortality rate. As far as viruses are concerned, there’s not a lot of difference between pigs and humans.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
You are thinking of something else - Containment is not a movie, it's a TV series, and it isn't about a flu virus or anything naturally occurring.
Got it. I do remember that mini series now. I only watched a few episodes and lost interest.

I need to see if I can find the episodes I missed on YouTube.

·
Registered
81,078 Posts
You won’t. No proof that any lab has actually created it. Unfortunately, it’s a safe bet that China has.

According to Kanatjan Alibekov, the former Soviet Union lost or misplaced 2 tons of India One. Insert the gene that codes for Interleukin 4 into the viral DNA and “voila,”
IL-4 India One.

Variola Major is the perfect virus for weaponization. Perfect size for aerosolized dispersion. It’s also a very large virus. Lots of room for genetic manipulation of its DNA. In fact, probably the best choice for a dual expression Bioweapon.

Back to Contagion. The Nipah virus is a pathogen that WHO has been watching for years.
It’s highly contagious for pigs. Nearly 100% mortality rate. As far as viruses are concerned, there’s not a lot of difference between pigs and humans.
That may be a good thing. Something that deadly hopefully burns itself out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You guys need to watch Containment. It's a pretty accurate portrayal of the world 83% of Glock Talkers think they are living in:
I read it on here somewhere that 76% of all statistics on GlockTalk are made up on the spot. :eek:kie:

Reactions: nursetim
1 - 20 of 22 Posts