The most important time of the year

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wprebeck, Aug 29, 2015.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Is almost here...

For all you non-hunters out there, please disregard. For all who do enjoy the outdoors, and the solitude that comes with it:

Tuesday marks the beginning of fun for me. Early goose and dove open that day, and I've already taken the day off, so that my son and I can kill some innocent birds.

For the deer and turkey hunters among us (waterfowling is sooo much better, but hey, I'm not gonna judge), archery season opens on the 5th. That happens to be the day that I'm going to a youth dove hunt with my boys (and the wife is taking the girls).

It's officially hunting season in less than four days, and that's how I recharge my batteries, after dealing with stupid mother****ers all week. Well, tree rat season is open, but I haven't had a chance to kill any yet..maybe tomorrow - going scouting to confirm honker locations, and will take any little tree rats that we encounter.

If any of you hunt, good luck. If you dont, you should. It's a beautiful thing, watching the sunrise and seeing the world wake up...all without any dumbass morons around to interfere.

TBO, Broke Hoss, Newcop761 and 2 others like this.
  2. Kranq

Kranq

Agree wholeheartedly. For me, nothing beats the solitude of hunting, hiking and fishing for readjusting my attitude and regaining focus. My best memories in life are growing up learning to hunt and fish from my father and grandfather, then teaching my son as he grew up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

3. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Wes, enjoy the time with your son.

4. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

I've always prefered deer hunting to dove hunting, But dove hunting is more of a social event.

My son prefers chasing the lil grey rockets (He took off all next week). This will be the 2nd year with his dog that he has trained. I've really enjoyed going out & watching my "grandpuppy" work.

5. wprebeck

My Christmas present was a finished chocolate Lab. Just ran a hunt test with him last week, and will have him out Tuesday with us.

6. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Doubt I'll do any hunting this year, but I'm sure looking forward to the coming of fall. Still hotter than hades here, but things will begin improving before long.

Good luck and enjoy, Wes!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

7. rv4driver

rv4driver

I shoot a LOT, but I don't hunt. I did used to fly a LOT, and I know what you mean about first light. I used to love to see the sunlight creep across the landscape, the fog laying in the low spots. Best time of day. Late sleepers don't have a clue what they're missing!

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

And here I thought this thread was for the married guys, about the special time of year the wives give up the booty... ;) Usually either wedding anniversary or birthday for me, depending on which date I neglected to forget....

Randy

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Love fall/hunting.

10. wprebeck

Well, opening day was a bit of a letdown. Since I'm a mere public servant - and not an admin type - I don't make enough money to lease a good spot for waterfowl, or know the right people for an invite to a private dove field.

Thus, I hunt public land. My son and I have been scouting a particular spot for a month. Lots of geese around - enough for us to both get the early season limit of five. Cool thing is, this particular WMA also put in a dove field.

Plan was, hunt til about 0930-100, pack up and get a spot on the dove field, where shooting didn't start til 1100. Did a final scouting trip on Sunday - where'd the geese go? Figured we'd try anyway, since I had no where else to go.

Got out to the field yesterday at 0530, shooting light at 0642. Set up, and never heard a thing. Saw one goose flying way off in the distance. No honks, nothing. And, this is in an area that, two weeks prior, held plenty of geese.

Damn.

Well, we called it a day at 0930, and packed up. Drove 1/4 mile down the road to the dove field - holy sheet!!! Field was packed.

Found a spot to park, got set up, moved spots 20 minutes in to some shade. Must have been 60 people there, in a 25-30 acre field. Hit five, missed more - but, you know how dove hunting goes. Plus, this was a steel shot field, due to the wetlands and lakes around...makes it harder.

Heading back out tomorrow for some geese, and have a youth dove hunt on Saturday that should provide enough for two limits.

11. x_out86

x_out86

For mental recovery, it gets NO better than bow hunting a whitetail.

For as much as I like shooting, I love the test of skill and patience that bow hunting offers. Plus, you see a lot of cool stuff when you're fully concealed in camo.

Good luck all! I need another deer or two soon. My venison stash from last fall ran out a few weeks ago.

12. wprebeck

Deer hunting has become more of a chore, than something to enjoy. I hate sitting on stand, waiting for Bambi to walk by...give me a swamp and a flock of greenheads any day.

That being said, ANY time hunting is better than working or being in the city. We depend on venison for the majority of meat we eat; I put over 300 pounds in the freezer last year. Only killed one, but a lot of folks hunt for fun, not for meat. I take advantage of that, and will happily accept any deer that they don't want. I'm also in good with our radio room, and several local officers, who know to call me when they get a tun to put a deer down.

13. Ftttu

Ftttu

We got an agency e-mail about the upcoming hunting season which shows permitted areas. With the ever dwindling areas, there will be hunters on top of hunters.

With that and my hate for deer, dove, duck and other live targets waning, my hunting has grown dormant. With retirement a few months away now, my hate may grow again.

14. x_out86

x_out86

Exactly why I like it. I love sitting in the stand quietly just enjoying the sights and sounds. The adrenaline rush when you smoke one is a one of a kind feeling. I gave up rifle hunting years ago. I don't get nearly the enjoyment out of sitting in the tree looking for little dots off in the distance.

We also have good dispatchers that will call guys if they have a fresh car kill that is not demolished. Plenty of burgers on my grill have come from car kills.