The Marksman Barrel Vs prior GEN's

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Snoopy47, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Californians are always going to be limited to GEN 3's. Some will get new GEN's via private sales (at a price premium).

Realistically, I'm not motivated to think the marksman barrel will make much of a difference in my performance to convert my pistol GEN's. But the option would be nice, and even if I was living in a free state I wouldn't seek out a GEN5 until I could get one with a certificate.

But that said, given my experience with having barrel modifications done to my bulls eye competition guns I can tell there is a difference. I had a .22 that gave me problems and occasionally would throw what I thought was otherwise a perfect trigger break. I got the barrel crowned and I never had that problem again.

Realistically I don't think anyone would notice if I crowed an OEM barrel. I'd have to have it refinished to blend in (the crowned product would have a perfect silver ring at the end).

I just think it would be nice if rules allowed modifications of older GEN's to put them on par with newer GEN's. Like being able to swap out for Glock made (-) connectors.

Like I mention in another thread, I would simply buy an OEM Marksman Barrel for a Gen3/4 if it was made.

2. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I DOUBT YOU WOULD NOTICE MUCH DIFFERENCE SHOOTING INTO AN 8 INCH CIRCLE AT 25 YARDS.

mikey357, quantico and PM720 like this.
  4. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

In my experience, Glocks w/ the regular polygonal rifling work well and are accurate enough for most all applications. The Marksman barrel tends to shoot tighter groups. But it's still not like "National Match" tight, just some tighter.
    IIRC, the Marksman barrel was developed w/ the advent of the G42 .380. And I think(educated guess) that Glock was having a difficult time getting the G42 accurate during testing, due to all the .380 cartridge dimensions from manufacturers being quite loose. And I say that after years of tuning pistols to run reliably. .380's seem to be the hardest to make run well. What I have seen more times then I can count is .380 cartridge dimensions all over the place, mostly from European makers. I tend to think Glock ran into the same problem during accuracy testing and the Marksman barrel is the result. It is actually quite simple what Glock did to make the Barrel rifling different, the Engineers put a sharp corner on the transition from land to groove in the barrel to help the rifling engage a undersize bullet. And it works really well in the G42, as I think the G42 is the most accurate pistol Glock has ever made. You can win accuracy matches with them, they are so accurate.
    Of course all of this is a guess on my part, as Glock does not divulge what they do and why to anyone in general. So there you go.

Wererat likes this.
  5. G21H30

G21H30

As those above stated I have found that the improvement in accuracy has been minimal in the Gen 5. We have (2)- G19X, (1)-G45 , (1)-G48 (1)-G34 MOS and the main thing I have noticed is that all the above have shorter chambers. My wife's favorite 147 gr hand load that we have used successfully for years has had to have the OAL adjusted shorter by .20 to feed and function without bullet setback or failure to chamber the round. This is visually apparent when dropping a loaded round into the Gen 5 barrel then dropping the same round in a Gen 2 ,3 ,or 4 barrel. I also measured the length of the barrel with the round in the chamber (ie: from front of barrel to base of case ) with calipers to confirm the shorter Gen 5 chamber.The Gen 5 seems to have a better trigger out of the box than the previous Gens.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  6. PM720

PM720

Shorter chamber or shorter freebore? I would think the chamber specs would be to SAAMI specs?

7. G21H30

G21H30

I believe you are correct. I should have used the term freebore which is that portion of a barrel's chamber that starts just where the case neck portion ends and continues to where the rifling begins. There is definitely less freebore in the Gen 5 barrels that we have,than any of our Gen 2 ,3,or 4 barrels .

PM720 likes this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Buy a gen 5 glock somewhere else and just shoot it.. who would notice a difference..

9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

If a part was made by Glock it can be used on any model of Glocks as long it is safe to do so.

10. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Here’s 25 yards from a sandbag with a Gen 3 barrel. Plenty of other similar groups from Gen 3 9mm as well. A standard Polygonal barrel isn’t holding anybody back.

D5321008-DA15-4A8E-B8C5-03D0E2CF371A.jpeg

PM720, ThomasM4 and G21H30 like this.
  11. G21H30

G21H30

Got to love the GAP. It must have been that Speer brass I traded you lol :kidding:

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  12. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

My early gen5 has no freebore my cz can be loaded longer than my gen5.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  13. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

The most accurate block I've owned was a late gen 3 it would rip a ragged hole in the target as long has I could keep it from twisting in my grip and dodge the brass to face. :freak:

14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

The biggest difference between the gen 3 to gen 5 is the grip. The trigger is just a tiny bit different and the recoil is just a tiny bit different. For me to actually tell a difference I have to shoot them back to back.
    If you want to improve it you could send it off for a professional grip modifications and possibly trigger work.

15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

If you want accuracy, get a Barsto barrel and have it fitted by a gunsmith. I had a KKM drop-in Barrel with a SAMMI match spec chamber for my Gen 2 G19 and it was slightly more accurate than the original factory barrel.

The problem some people have with the Glock Marksman barrel is that it has a shorter throat and a tighter chamber and a lot of reloads won't feed reliably but most factory loads will.

A friend of mine who is a gunsmith got a Barsto barrel in on trade for a Glock 21 and he said it dropped right in to his Gen 3 G21sf and was still mor accurate than the Glock factory barrel but was 100% reliable with all ammo including reloads. A barsto barrel that is hand fitted to the gun will be more accurate yet.

In the world of racing the old saying is, "How fast you want to go depends on how much money you want to spend". I think benchrest shooters have a similar saying about Accuracy. there's a certain amount of modifications that need to be made before even the best shooter can be competitive.

But that having been said, most factory Glocks are capable of better accuracy than most shooters are capable of.

16. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

This is still a GSSF Glock so the solutions have to be OEM

PM720 and SARDG like this.
  17. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

EDIT: Regarding Post #6 - shorter chamber or shorter freebore:

Have this illustration (had to "dig it out"):
    [​IMG]

It helped me understand the concepts better.
    The old saying - a picture is worth a thousand words.....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    kdm2 likes this.