The lowest crime area is the one.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Without people...:wavey: Do you agree that areas with fewer people have lower crime and that if an area has no people there will be no crime.

2. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Makes sense to me...

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I guess there is no crime if there are no people, but I would guess that there are more crimes in isolated and rural areas than most people think. I live in a mostly farming area and every year they find another body in a woods somewhere. Plus I have a hunch that there is a lot of child and elder abuse in isolated families who lack assistance or anyone around to notice.

4. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I disagree. I think that crime rates are proportional with the poverty level.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

We have a lot of small villages surrounding our city and the drug use and burglaries rates are just as high or higher in the rural areas. The violent crime rate seems to be higher in the city. As far as crime where no one is how do we know if there's less there's no one there to tell us about the crimes LOL.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

There is obviously no crime where there are no people to commit the crimes. People commit the burglaries in areas where they won't be apprehended but on rare occasion a bear or wild animal knocks a trash can down. :rofl:Murders also require people to commit them. :whistling:

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

But does poverty exist where there are no people?

8. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

You asked if we agree that the crime rate is lower where there are fewer people, not no people. Of course if there are 0 people then there is 0 crime.

9. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

We city types just take our dirty business out into the sticks. That is why these bodies keep getting found. Locals know where to hide the bodies so they don't get found.

Just kidding, I really don't know about that.

One difference is that in a small community people know who the bad apples are. If you do wrong people find out about it and there can be consequences. Perhaps some of those bodies you referred to had it coming.

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

This.

Funny- to imagine myself existing in a very desolate place, I immediately conjured a situation of extreme despair and hopelessness.

I think most of us would go savage.

...but then if you consider that, "Oh, it happens to be Bandar Bush's Colorado mountain retreat."

Then yes, obviously I would want for nothing so I wouldn't be committing any crimes, and there would be few others to commit crimes against me.

The next question would be though- is the only other person in my 50,000m grid square an ornery, destitute fur trapper, or Mark Zuckerberg in a hoodie?

It only takes one...

11. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Now if we start talking about violent crime that's a whole different story. I have lived in poor mostly white neighborhoods and poor mostly minority neighborhoods and the violent crime has always been worse in the minority neighborhoods.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I disagree with your disagreement.

While Winston Moneybags might not jack your TV, he will pilfer from your pension plan. Criminals are meanly distributed.

13. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

There is less violent crime like murder, random rapes and property crime like break ins and such.

There is still a good bit of drug use, DUI, DV, gambling, trespassing, and other types of crime.

It's different out here. We self police to a certain extent.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

I think violent crime, vandalism and theft happens in populations without self control and ethical boundaries. I know plenty of poor people that haven't held up a store, robbed a bank, raped anyone.

The more bad guys/gals you have in an area that don't care a whit for you and what is yours, the more crime you have.

Poverty is not a good reason for crime.

15. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

A buddy of mine has 130 acres in the boonies and catches people vandalizing and trying to steal all the time.

He is however, one of the top dog trainers in the country, it they run, they just get taken down tired

:cool:

16. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

...where more good guys are armed!

17. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

"Crime" (violent, intrusive acts) seem to be a function of demographics. Populations of middle-class (or higher) folk tend to have lower crime numbers than poorer areas. There are other factors, but in my experience that's a biggie.

To add to the subject, access to firearms does not seem to be a factor. Where I stay in AZ (a very gun friendly state) there are many, many folks with firearms. We have zero (as in none) armed robberies, street muggings or assaults.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree with the Chief's assessment. I also think that at some point overcrowding may play a small part. I seem to remember reading that when lab rats get to certain population density they have start some antisocial behaviors.

I also wonder to some extent what part genetics plays in the picture. Consider a large family in a poor area in which one child goes to an ivy league school while the others end up reflecting the neighborhood. Or a large family in a poor area where all but one turn out stellar.

19. JFrame

JFrame

There might be some correlation between crime and population density -- but I think you have to factor in social mores, demographics, and other qualifying influences.

Tokyo is among the most densely populated places on earth, but has a relatively low crime rate.

20. btr

btr

Some areas with high population densities still have low crime rates (Japan, Singapore).

The culture of the people matters far more than anything else!