The Looming Collision Between Electric Vehicles And Green Energy

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by pipedreams, Feb 21, 2020.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

"Two green-dream fantasies are heading for a massive and costly collision.

To stabilize a green energy system without using hydrocarbons will require an eye-watering quantity of batteries, costing as much as 200 times the cost of any wind/solar facility needing backup. Every home will need a battery in the basement (and sensible ones will also have a diesel in the shed).

Add to this battery bonanza millions of batteries will be needed to electrify and replace our fleet of petrol/diesel vehicles."

https://www.technocracy.news/the-looming-collision-between-electric-vehicles-and-green-energy/

https://saltbushclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/australian-green-fantasies.pdf

Caver 60 and teeceetx like this.
  2. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

The materials required to make lithium-ion batteries come from a small number of countries. We'll be back to where we were in the mid-70s, dependent on other countries for what powers our vehicles. There's also debate about the total pollution created by car battery production, and if even more CO2 is produced manufacturing batteries.

As always, the rush to supposedly environmentally friendly alternatives for anything is fraught with unintended consequences. Don't even get me started with plastic bags and straws.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020

3. Maxw

Maxw

Affordable batteries are lead acid requiring opening lead smelters and mines, then when we look at generation solar panels lose efficiency over time and lose efficiency the further north one goes. Couple that with the sun entering a long term solar minimum it blows up.

4. NMG26

NMG26

5. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

With training wheels for us old a$$holes. Or tricycles.

6. mj9mm

mj9mm

as soon as Liberals discover the pollution created from batteries, windmills and solar disasters, they will be demanding to be rocketed to Mars. let's just send them now and save the crying...
    bring back the Nuclear Plants

7. Dave514

Dave514

All of which are batteries that have a limited lifespan. Very limited.

Tvov and FullClip like this.
  8. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Once it become clear to the public that the damage caused by lithium mining, battery production, and the emissions from fossil fuels needed to continuously charge all the batteries exceeds the damage caused by fossil fuels, the "green energy movement" will implode.

Its adherents will then jump on the population control bandwagon, which will quickly become the "population reduction" bandwagon, which has actually been their goal all along. Kill the humans. They are a disease infecting the planet. Except the liberal enlightened ones. And those blameless ones in the Third World. Off to the euthanasia centers for the rest of you.

9. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

10. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yes. Just consider how often you replace your ICE vehicle battery compared to how often you have to replace your engine. (And yes, I know that this is a bit simplified)

I looked at getting a Stihl battery powered line trimmer. For comparable power, it was notably more expensive than the gasoline model - with the battery/charger being a large portion of the cost. With an expected service life of 5'ish years, and the possibility of a particular battery model being NLA, the battery becomes a real on-going cost issue.

And while I know that there are fuel/oil costs - I'm still using a 35+ year old chainsaw (Poulan), a ~20 year old chainsaw (Stihl), a 30+ year old line trimmer (Echo), a couple of 20 year old cars (Acura), a 20 year old rider lawnmower (John Deere), 15+ year old push mower (Honda Motor/MTD), 15 year old 21' boat (Larson); all of which I've pretty much repaired and maintained myself with a few hand tools and some (relatively) low cost parts. The most frequently replaced item: the battery (for electric start machines).

I just don't see, a near-future, comparable longevity from solar PV and batteries.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Atomic Punk, Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  11. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

[​IMG]

12. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Hmm...so the grass isn’t always greener? I think that’s what your saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lt. Donn, DAKA and hogship like this.
  13. DSinOR

DSinOR

I fixed it for you!

After researching The Boring Company, SpaceX, and Tesla for years, I finally discovered Elon Musk's grand plan! I thought i was the only one who knew!

:D

14. powernoodle

powernoodle

In the so-called "green" continuum of kooky leftism - which is in no sense actually ecological - the only thing that matters is feeling good. The facts don't really come into play. What this is really about is anti-capitalism, because so-called green energy is always centered on bureaucratic control without the interference of market forces. Voila! No capitalism. Pesky things like batteries and hydrocarbon don't factor into their analysis.

15. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

16. DonD

DonD

I've posted this before and it's something the ill informed anti nuclear power crowd doesn't want to hear.

The data is old, probably around 2000 so the numbers are far larger now. In about 2000, the US Navy had 7000, yes, no typo, 7000 reactor years of experience and guess how many injuries due to the reactor side? Answer? Zero, nada, zip.

There were a small number of minor burns from the non radioactive side of the steam system.

So, if mostly relatively young sailors can operate a nuclear power plant safely, please, no one tell me trained engineers can't. The difference is that the Navy is totally intolerant of mistakes.

The info came from a man in my department, a former CO of a Los Angeles class SSN.

In his case, he came back to the sub on a Sunday, went down into the reactor control spaces and found the watchstander asleep. Told the guy to get off his ship NOW. Busted him down in rate and pulled his security clearances. Don

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  17. teeceetx

teeceetx

I agree absolutely with your premise, but it's the SCALE that proves to be the issue. Additionally, you cannot run jets and trucks and cars and farm equipment on nuclear power. But not to worry, the idiots who support green power will learn soon (but too late) that their idea cannot power a highly technological advanced society. But then again, they KNOW that (hint).

18. thewitt

thewitt

The electric trans Atlantic trains are the future.

Caver 60, PEC-Memphis and JFrame like this.
  19. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk