The latest COVID-19 deniers argument...

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by HollowHead, Mar 29, 2020.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    When will my check get here?

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

IamtheNRA, NoStress, APERS and 5 others like this.
  2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The latest COVID-19 deniers argument...

There's always people that are blind to the facts.
    Hell, there are fools that think the Earth is flat. :)

3. jetflier1989

jetflier1989

Forget about a global media conspiracy. I believe China was messing around with it and it either slipped out or somebody (not the government) intentionally let it out. Either way it doesn’t matter. Both bad. One is reckless, the other evil.

But that aside, do you believe the MSM and certain members of the left are not currently politicizing this crisis?

Westexas, nrajeff and Wayward Son like this.
  4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Since 1000 people have died in the US the last 2 days that averages 500 a day. If the flu killed 500 everyday that would be 182,500 a year. Fact.

Edit: Oh and it hasn't peaked yet. And this is WITH sports and concerts being closed all across the country, restaurants carry out only and schools closed down.

Westexas, badge315, NoStress and 8 others like this.
  5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I automatically deny denieing anything those deniers deny! :)

railfancwb and Quijibo like this.
  6. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Exactly.

Funny, in 2009 over 4000 people in the U.S. died from H1N1 before Obama even declared an emergency, but all the media could do was heap praise on Obama for how great he handled it.

dkf, ZekerMan, nrajeff and 5 others like this.
  7. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

You can say alot of things about this disease and I agree with most of what is being said in reference to people not taking this disease seriously but the death rate claim you posit here is patently false. If we could test everyone we would see about 2 or 3 more zeros added to the number of cases, and several zeros in front of the death rate. The death rate is not the problem the spread rate is the problem hence social distancing and flattening the curve. If this disease had a true death rate as high as you say the military would be on the streets with shoot on sight orders for anyone violating quarantine, 70% of the population will get this before it stops at the death rate presented here close to 4 million people would die and that is flat out not going to happen. We need to be serious but also saying things like this give people not taking this seriously ammunition to use against logic. The true death rate will end up being similar to the flu however it will kill alot more people due to the simple fact that more people are going to get it before this is over.

Hank Was Right and airmotive like this.
  8. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Donald Trump did not shut down the states, the governors did.

9. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Technically you are correct. In reality you couldn't be more wrong.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

NoStress, pAZ Ron and OGW like this.
  10. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

11. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

12. JLA

JLA

I’m not living in fear but I am very cautious. This virus is going to get worse and I want everyone to be safe. I’m thinking more about the “other” person as should all of us. Why do I want to risk being a carrier and infecting someone else?
    Im not saying to live in fear. I’m saying why can’t we think of others at times like these.

13. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Neither of which has killed 500 a day, every day, for a year. So the only fact is, it killed 1000 over a 2 day period.

14. Glockman4

Glockman4

I’m one of the ones that firmly believes that this has been here since at least November.

MB-G26 and APERS like this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1.

16. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I took a couple of days off this week, but I am the boss, so I am always on call. Only had a few calls this weekend, so not too bad.

17. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Nobody has any idea how many are infected with Covid19 since so many show little or no symptoms. And, the CDC doesn't even know how many have died from this season's flu.
    One thing I do agree on is, a whole lot more people are going to catch this... maybe everyone sooner or later... it's inevitable...
    and the panic is going to get worse right along with it.

NoStress likes this.
  18. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

There are 3,287 killed in motor vehicle crashes each day in the world.
    So don't worry about dying from COVID19, compared to auto crashes you have a good chance of living. LOL

Updated:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    BobbyS and Kawabuggy like this.
  19. pblanc

pblanc

The case fatality rates given are not patently false. The case fatality rates are what they are, the number of fatalities divided by the number of known infections. As of today the case fatality rates are 1.8% for the US and approx. 1.6% for South Korea.

Of course, as more asymptomatic infections are detected with more extensive testing it is hoped that those case fatality rates will diminish, but I would not count on them declining by a couple of orders of magnitude as you suggest. If you look at the current case fatality rates for nations with pretty good health care delivery and exclude those nations like Spain and Italy that have been extremely hard hit, the case fatality rates seem to be stabilizing around 1.5% + or - 0.5%. The case fatality rate for the US has actually gone up a tic in the last couple of days, despite more extensive testing. And keep in mind that some of the infected individuals who are currently very sick will die in the near future.

Take South Korea as an example with its 1.6% case fatality rate. They are among the nations that have done very extensive testing, including testing of individuals in urban areas (most likely to have been exposed) who had no symptoms whatsoever. As of Wednesday 3/25 South Korea claimed to have tested 357,896 people out of a population of 51 million. That is about 7% of the total population. And since South Korea was known to have been testing up to 20,000 people a day early in the pandemic, that percentage may now be closer to 8 or 8.5%. If the tests had been administered completely at random, a test sample size of that magnitude would certainly be considered representative. A sample size of comparable percentage in the US would include over 23 million people.

But that South Korean sample size was not randomly selected. Undoubtedly, people living in urban areas were more heavily tested. In Seoul we know that completely asymptomatic individuals were extensively tested. And that would be the population most likely to have traveled or been exposed to those who had. That would slew the test results towards overestimating the percentage of the population infected rather than in the other direction. So as far as South Korea is concerned, I doubt very much that sufficient enormous numbers of previously undocumented cases will emerge from testing the remaining population to drop the case fatality rate below 1%, if that, and certainly not enough to drop it by an order of magnitude further.

20. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

My girlfriend had something with the pneumonia like symptoms of the Corona virus late last year. It was bad and took a while to go away and then it came back just like they say it does.

Doctors could not determine what it was other than it was viral. I was worried she had something underlying like lung cancer but she recovered. She works at a hospital and picks up bugs.

jimcorbin likes this.