The latest attack on our profession: qualified immunity

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wprebeck, Jun 11, 2020.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

So, we've all seen the recent attacks on qualified immunity and we all know why these attack are happening. I'll skip straight to the meat of my post:

I'm retired from one department and am in the interview process for two more right now, despite my best efforts to leave the profession altogether. If qualified immunity is stripped from law enforcement, I'll quit before the ink is dry from the bill being signed. Wouldn't matter if I had Jack the Ripper in cuffs - he'd go free and I'd bail immediately. Not worth it to stay at all.

My question for the rest of my fellow officers: would you stay, and if so, what drugs are you currently using?

2. merlynusn

merlynusn

It will definitely pass the House. Senate aim not sure of. November is a very important election for the law enforcement profession.

3. illrooster132

illrooster132

what happened to the home of brave and those that stood to tyranny ?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    BigBull 301, glock1097 and Chui like this.
  4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I don't think it will even pass the House.

Despite the current climate of anarchy and hysteria, this bill is going nowhere.

serve_and_protect and APERS like this.
  5. screwman

screwman

If it’s any consolation, they want to make lynching a federal hate crime.

6. bikerdog

bikerdog

As much as I would like to stay I would be forced to bail immediately. There is no way one could survive being a cop without qualified immunity in my opinion.

119922 and JimP like this.
  7. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    With 8 years till retirement it would be hard choice to make

RetailNinjitsu and bruscifer like this.
  8. wprebeck

Nope, not at all. I can get a job anywhere....losing my home and freedom, not so easily replaced.

CAcop, JK-linux, 119922 and 1 other person like this.
  9. AGF0526

AGF0526

That's what I am seeing, glad I am retired now after seeing Officers getting arrested over and over for use of force and some very minor uses of force while on duty. Wes I have a video to send you that will make you sick to watch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bruscifer and ReaPer105 like this.
  10. wprebeck

From back home? Hit me on FB messenger.

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

The whole point of trying to do away with qualified immunity is a back door method of abolishing the police which despite their demands they know they are not going to get.

That strategy was not hatched by a bunch of dip**** 20 somethings living in mom's basement.

These morons are just the "useful idiots".

mercs50, DonGlock26, RussP and 12 others like this.
  12. Chui

Chui

No, it was not “invented by some 20 year old clowns.”

It’s part of the UN’s Agenda 2030.

If people would have stopped the “conspiracy!” BS and study (like they have been repeatedly asked) we could have avoided this like the plague.

Unfortunately, the public-at-large are fast asleep so it will get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

No doubt there is a deeper scam here ran by more sophisticated interests.

It might be control of all organs of Govt. but they have had that before and these urban area's are truly screwed up. They very well may wake the Dragon in their stumbling around. I think Trumps best move is to keep handing out the rope and let them see what de-Policing and leftist anarchy really means.

B C likes this.
  14. SKSman57

SKSman57

I don't even get paid to do police work anymore (Reserve). People think I'm crazy for being an attorney that volunteers as a police officer. I can't say for certain what I would do, but I can tell you that I would be thinking long and hard about the risk/reward payoff.

I think it will pass the house as well.

There really isn't such an animal as a "moderate" or "conservative" Democrat outside of a few State Parties. There are a few Democrats in red districts that are allowed to place meaningless show votes from time to time, but they are absolutely on the leash.

The modern Democrat party is Maoist. They demand absolute loyalty and control. They don't tolerate Romneys/Collins/Murkowskis in their ranks.

If the Rats ever gain a trifecta, they are going to go for all the marbles. Their base won't tolerate incrementalism any more, and they believe that they have enough control over the media that they can frame anything that they want to do in a way to get the result that they want.

Ohsheepdog, bruscifer, Chui and 6 others like this.
  15. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

If it becomes law, AND you decide to stick it out for those 8 years, do absolutely nothing. And I mean nothing. No traffic stops, no arrests and no contact with the public. For 8 years you will be a walking lawsuit. Every contact a possible lawsuit. If you stay make yourself lien proof and on paper destitute. Those daytime television advertising ambulance chasing lawyers will open a whole new addition to their practices.

16. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I must say that I know enough men waiting to retire in Hope's that a exwife dies to know if this passes and Cops do walk out the streets will start to pile up with bodies. The good news is lots of non LE jobs will also open up.

17. illrooster132

illrooster132

WE NEED TO STAND HARD AGAINT CRIMINAL AND THEIR LIKE MINDED PEOPLE. !!!!!!!!!!
    don't be fooled by the claims they making of racism. and BLM crap. this are thugs against cops. we as civilians need to create posse to protect our own business and families. ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP AND EXCUSSE TO DESTROY OUR CITIES.

bruscifer likes this.
  18. JK-linux

JK-linux

The idea isn't to abolish "police". They know that obvious route would never get enough support. The goal is to so fundamentally change the nature, role and actions of law enforcement, that it is "police" in name only.

Removing qualified immunity is a means to that end. Can't change law, or get policy that says "we won't enforce x, y, or z"? No problem. Just shape the environment such that it's impractical for police to act on anything, under penalty of imprisonment or personal bankruptcy.

It's a clever way for them to go, really.

19. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

So, in your opinion, which side will the union(s) support, and would other (trade) unions follow a conservative lead from LEO union(s)?

Thoughts from others?

20. AnthonyC

AnthonyC

This thread does not strike me as showing some LEOs in a very good light.
    Why defend qualified immunity?
    This is not to say that most LEOs aren't upstanding but qualified immunity only protects the worst.

"It's quite common for courts to say, 'Yes, your rights were violated — but we can't find a case where anyone's rights were violated in quite the same way. So, you lose.'

That because of something called "qualified immunity” — an unfair, unjust, and unlawful shield for government agents who violate Americans' rights.

Section 1983 — the United States’ primary civil rights statute — says that any state actor who violates someone's constitutional rights "shall be liable to the party injured.”

But, the Supreme Court effectively gutted Section 1983 with the invention of a doctrine called "qualified immunity.” The practical effect of qualified immunity is that public officials, especially members of law enforcement, routinely get away with horrific misconduct."
    - copied from The Cato Institute

Now, I am not a law enforcement officer. I am a physician.
    Could you imagine a person prevented from suing me if I had harmed a patient through some act of medical malpractice or negligence or worse, used my position to violate someone's rights such as sexual or physically abused a patient?

Maybe I am ignorant of some special circumstances but I don't think there should be "protected classes" in America, least of all those with the power to compel another citizen to basically obey every command otherwise face arrest and prosecution.