The Keto Diet

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Jul 21, 2018.

1. BSA70

BSA70

My co-worker has inspired me to look into the Keto diet. He has lost over 40 pound in a very short time. He is very strict with it.

I've started sifting through all the information, and there is a bunch from no way to the best thing ever.

Has anyone had any success with this? Is there abbreviated version that is easy or is this something that has to be followed in detail.

I don't have a big goal, only 10 lbs. I've cut all sugar and most breads and pretty much a plant meat eater. I stray once in awhile.

Glockworks, Paul53, TBO and 1 other person like this.
  2. allanh

allanh

I do a relaxed version, but it works. I stick to meats and veggies low on carbs. (Healthy) Fat is your friend. Bacon and Eggs are great. I only use real butter. My coffee is made with Stevia and heavy whipping cream. No breads, pastas, rice, starches, etc. I'm by no means an expert but I lost 25lbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1L26, bruscifer, Taco Junkie and 3 others like this.

3. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

I've been on it since April, lost about 30lbs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Paul53, TBO and nevernuffglock like this.
  4. allanh

allanh

Oh, and drink lots of water. Ever since I started I've been addicted to diet Pepsi (which is strange as I've never been a big Soda guy). Some say diet drinks aren't good for you or can stunt the weight loss, but they keep me sane.

5. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

There is a Keto for beginners page on FB, lots of good information there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Paul53, TBO and hannstv like this.
  6. hunter3705

hunter3705

I have been on it since early March. I've lost 60lbs, but I've hit this plateau at around 245 that I can't seem to bust through. My target weight is 225. For about two months, I was losing an average of 5lbs per week. It works. Just make sure you don't have any carbs or sugar sneaking into what you eat.

Lagamor, Paul53 and TBO like this.
  7. Jonesee

Jonesee

What is the difference in the keto and the Atkins?

voyager4520, fireguy129 and Paul53 like this.
  8. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Seems to work, but people need to be care full of they have diabetes or liver issues.

Filhar and TBO like this.
  9. Bwillis

Bwillis NRA LIfe Member

I’ve gone from 196 to 180 in 2 months with kind of Keto-and time restricted eating and not drinking anything while eating. Time restricted eating is once you first injest something other than water, vitamins included you only have 12 hours to eat and drink anything other than water.
    I do know after not eating breads and carbs I don’t get tired after eating or full bloated. I wake up easier and I’m not groggy. Google dr Rhonda Patrick she has some good videos out explaining how to eat healthy what to stay away from and the time restricted eating and it’s benefits.

Paul53 and Von Hayes like this.
  10. powernoodle

powernoodle

I'm not a pro, but I think they are the same genre.

Listen, the whole point here is to reduce your blood insulin. That's true of any diet that works in the long run. Insulin is the switch that tells the body to store fat (when insulin is present), or to burn fat (when insulin is low or absent).

How do you control insulin? By eating or not eating carbs. Fasting is the ultimate means of reducing insulin (and correcting insulin sensitivity), because no food in the tummy causes the body to stop producing insulin. And with no insulin, you start burning fat within about 24 hours.

Keto diets so the same thing, though your insulin will stay a little higher on Keto because you are eating food, albeit food that has a low insulin response.

You can measure ketones or "ketone bodies" in your saliva with a test strip. These are produced when the body is burning fat. So when you see your ketones rise, you know you are in fat burning mode. The brain uses ketones as fuel when glucose is absent (from fasting or Keto diets).

Consider that when you are fasting, or doing Keto, you are not actually starving. Rather, your body is "eating" its fat - which is the whole purpose of fat in the first place. We turn into fatsos because we eat constantly, which keeps our insulin up constantly, which tells our bodies to store rather than burn fat.

I strongly recommend Dr. Jason Fung's The Complete Guide to Fasting on Audible or hard copy. It makes an extremely compelling argument relating to fasting and insulin. Keto diets are the next best thing to fasting, because it is a means of lowering your insulin while still eating.

One last point. When fasting, you feel better and more energetic than when eating. Consider that as a survival mechanism, when you have no food you need to be more sharp-minded and energetic in order to catch your next antelope. HGH goes way up when fasting. So fasting and keto diets do not make you feel sluggish and weak. Just the opposite.

11. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

My boss did it. He is now semi-modified as in, lots of protein (even fatty meats) all the vegetables he wants and occasionally some whole wheat carbs. He eats twice a day and fasts in between

No sugar, no alcohol

He was having serious digestive and sleep issues, mood swings, restless leg syndrome and overall ill health.

This has cleared it all up and he is way better.

I've cut out as much sugar as possible and I'm ready to go full on keto

Good luck. I'm convinced you will feel way better.

Dreamaster, Paul53 and TBO like this.
  12. JimP

JimP

Been doing it over a year. Dropped my blood pressure back to normal; I am a BIG believer. I have more energy, more alert, feel a whole lot better, more mental clarity and sleep better than I have in years. My bloodwork is excellent and lipid profiles are great.

Don't confuse it with Atkins; keto is low to moderate protein. Cut out the sugar and carbs and your body doesn't have sugar to burn so switches to fats. Keep it in fat-burning mode and your body weight will self-regulate back to ideal for you.

I am currently about 12% body fat and don't deny myself much. I eat a lot of (healthy) fats, drink avocado oil after my meals, and don't worry too much about anything else.

I also have incredible energy in the gym and have been getting great lifts in and my body is changing easier than it did 30 years ago.

Also, the anti-inflammation properties and anti-carcinogenic aspects make it a winner.

Try it - hardcore - for 30 days. You won't give it up. if you cheat, you won't get into ketosis and you won't stick with it. Give it 30 days and it'll make you a believer. Try it for four to six months and then decide what you want to do.

We make keto waffles, keto pizza, keto pancakes, etc.

1L26, IndyGunFreak and catman71 like this.
  13. allanh

allanh

Did I mention you can still have Bacon?

..and whiskey. Can't forget that!

Paul53, TBO and F14A like this.
  14. akpls

akpls

I have been doing Keto since the first week of last October. I started at 240 pounds and just hit 180 today. I feel better, have more energy, sleep much better and was able to get rid of that damned BP med that was causing a whole range of nasty side effects.

Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.

1L26, TN.Frank, Paul53 and 4 others like this.
  15. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

It’s pretty easy... you are almost Keto if you cut out sugar, potatos, rice, and flour.

There are so many swaps and foods available that it’s just a matter of setting those in your diet and removing the high carb version. The beginning is tough, I was very aggressive with carb limitation for 2 weeks to establish a baseline and used Keto-sticks (that you pee on) to make sure I was in ketosis. From there I added back some complex carbs, more in the morning than evening, and found my resistance level...or how many grams of carbs I can consume and maintain ketosis.

That allowed me to mealplan and for me that is the secret to success. I have 5-6 breakfasts that I cycle between (really about 3 in heavy rotation)... I have 4-5 quick lunch options and can easily figure something out everywhere I go, and dinner is super easy because I usually cook at home and know what I’m eating.

I really recommend using the Keto-sticks. Without them you can easily fool yourself into thinking you are doing great when something you are eating is working against you. An example is that the Chinese place by my office that I eat at regularly had a beef entree that seemed to be low carb but my use of the sticks was telling me I was getting too many carbs to allow me to get in ketosis. I looked at everything I ate the previous few days and that beef dish was on the list multiple times...I asked the chef how it was prepared and found that it was marinated in a sugar/soy solution and that the beef pieces were covered in rice flour before cooking. I changed back to humble broccoli beef and problem solved.

Someone mentioned to be careful with Keto if you are diabetic... I test my sugars and my body loves Keto. Ketosis and Keto Acidosis are different conditions. I’ve never heard anything but positive associations of a low carb, low sugar (Keto) diet and diabetes. The reason I found Keto was that my A1C rose to a pre-diabetic level and was flagged on a blood test years back. I don’t want to use meds and type 2 is in my family so I was willing to try anything my Dr suggested. For me, Keto is a very simple way to keep that number low...I’ve just accepted that I’m not built to eat a lot of carbs and frankly I feel much better when I don’t.

Look into it.

Genesis, ILeft, TBO and 1 other person like this.
  16. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

My best friend lost 30lbs and his sister 25lbs doing Keto.

He's a HUGE Keto evangelist and drives me nuts talking it about every chance he gets.

I'm working on reducing my carbs and exercising more on my own.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Paul53 and TBO like this.
  17. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

30 pounds off a little over a year ago. I hit a wall at 220, but have stayed there for over a year. I relaxed the carb restriction since nothing seemed to be happening and went to about 50 carbs instead of the ~20 per day.
    A volume of recipes, fat bombs, ideas for alternatives to favorite treats, and pretty much don't feel like I am missing anything.
    I stopped having blood sugar drops that sent me looking for anything to eat. Shakes, sweating, pale, and feeling pretty bad for a while when that happened. I'm not diabetic or hypoglycemic, but had the symptoms. I also edged away from being on the line of having to be placed on supplemental oxygen thanks to an injury. Dr. said to try it and gave some things to look up, I went with the Keto.
    Wife hasn't lost any weight, but there is a very small portion of the population it doesn't work well with, so she's always been cheating or falls in that category.

TBO likes this.
  18. jstrange

jstrange

I have been doing it for about a month, but I don’t do the full blown version. I just cut the carbs and don’t worry too much about my fat, protein and fiber ratios. I have lost at least 15 pounds so far and that’s with no exercise. Make sure you drink plenty of water. It’s tough because just about everything that’s tasty is full of carbs. I do eat a lot of chicken wings, so that a plus

19. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Are you exercising?

I hate cardio...can’t express that strongly enough...hate. But as part of my job I walk 3-4 miles a day and am constantly moving, so I am doing LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio by default. When I hit a strength or weight plateau I reluctantly add HIIT (high intensity interval training) a couple days a week...I promise I will do it 5 x a week for an hour but it turns into 2 maybe 3 x a week for 30 minutes. Luckily I have a HS wrestler that wants to join the military after graduation in the house and can always convince him to run his old man through some sprints or motivate me through some Tim Kennedy workout that involves timed high intensity work and strength training. We also play “catch” with a 20lb slam ball while doing simple calisthenics and 30 minutes of that will do the trick pretty good too.

My body has evolved to not care about walking 4-5 miles or biking at a managed pace...but mix in a little high intensity and it confuses everything and gets me going.

20. biscuits&gravy

biscuits&gravy

I tried it for about 2 weeks and felt like **** the 2nd week. It was during the winter and I had been unemployed for a long stretch so don't know if I got sick, was a little depressed or I got the Keto flu. I think I'm going to try it again, life is going pretty good right now.