The Impossible Whopper

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by peng, Nov 8, 2019.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I tried the Beyond Meat version at one of our artisan burger joints. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference from the exact same menu item in beef. I know in a blind taste test, I absolutely couldn’t have told you which one was which, except when it came to pay the bill.

The Beyond Meat version was exactly double the price. I am sure the mass market places have addressed this issue to some degree, but for me, I was hard pressed to come up with why anyone would order one a second time.

nrajeff likes this.
  2. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'm not a vegan, but I unfortunately suffer from gout, and the ingestion of red meat/beef gives me uncomfortable pain in my joints, particularly in my hands and fingers, so one day a couple months ago I decided to try the Impossible Burger, and I was actually quite surprised, not noticing any real particular difference in taste or texture, and I'm real picky. It's more expensive than a Whopper meal, but that's not a deal breaker when I'm looking for something to eat when I'm out on the road and finding myself too hungry to wait until I get home.

There are plenty of foods that aren't for everybody, and that's fine with me. And despite each other's differing tastes, we should all be glad to admit that it's nice to have as many choices as we do.

badge315 likes this.

3. peng

peng

That's interesting, I've heard that the Impossible stuff is more meat like than the Beyond stuff. Kroger has the Beyond patties in a 2 pack for like $5, I'm just gonna have to buy the dang things and give 'em a go.

WeeWilly likes this.
  4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I actually don’t think that is what their target market is about. I have listened to both Beyond Meat and Impossible CEOs and they stress they want to replace meat as it is a more environmentally friendly alternative.

Cows are higher on the food chain and so consume a lot of resources and produce a lot of methane. The pitch is they are much more sustainable.

Now before anyone goes off, the truth is they absolutely are “greener” compared to real meat, but the real reason they are doing it is because venture capital is readily available and they all will become rich, long before the house of cards comes down.

There is always some sap willing to buy a profit less “disruptive” company’s stock at the IPO, well, unless you name it WeWork. ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    nrajeff likes this.
  5. Pluto57

Pluto57

Not the target market for Impossible and Beyond meat, but I really don't think BK is trying to start a meat revolution.

Bow Commander likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

No, I think their deal is novelty and of course to try and re-engage with millennials who don’t eat “fast food” unless it has some virtuous sounding backstory like clean, local, sustainable, etc.

I know a lot of vegans, they don’t go to Burger King, ever. They won’t be going there for an Impossible burger.

badge315 likes this.
  7. Ftttu

Ftttu

I haven’t read the health benefits of this burger, but if it is noticeably ‘healthier’, then great. I’ve had a couple so far since I have high cholesterol, but I think the 4 tacos with it put me back over the top.

I just don’t think about BK when I go out to eat since I try to eat healthier. Again, if this fauxpper is actually less unhealthy even with all of what went into it to take the cow away, I may go back past the novelty stage.

nrajeff and WeeWilly like this.
  8. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Haven't done BK in years. McDs isn't too rough on me, I actually like Wendys Double w/ cheese, lettuce, ketchup only. !/2# and always fresh. (Where's the Beef.... miss old lady ad)

9. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I like it. The difference in taste is there, but only noticeable if you are truly looking for it.

10. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

If the veggie burger tastes like beef and has a lot less calories and fat then it might have a chance. Otherwise no.

nrajeff and BigBluefish like this.
  11. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Oh hell no. Just give me a triple whopper, no cheese. If, for some reason, I could never eat red meat again, I'd rather move on to something else than eat that artificially meat flavored garbage. Grill myself up a big fat portabello or something.....

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

These are not really vegetables- just mixed up with some spice.

This is laboratory made food -

It seems like a vegetarian would want natural organic type stuff - they are even against GMO!

This **** is about as far away from nature as you can get.

nrajeff likes this.
  13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It is very important to understand the the Impossible Whopper is NOT vegan, it is vegetarian. With that out of the way, it's not bad / not great, but for someone like myself who suffers from occasional gout, it's a good alternative during an attack. HH

14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

It isn’t healthier and both CEO’s acknowledge that out front. There is science that for the average person, they are likely less healthy.

I had to laugh the day of Beyond Meat’s IPO, the CEO kept referring to their customers who might be interested in a product “seemingly” more healthy. They had covered that in detail during the road show. It isn’t healthier. Both companies whole pitch is being lower on the foot chain, smaller carbon footprint, sustainable. Definitely they don’t talk about healthier, at least, at the average individual consumer level. There just isn’t any science to support it.

Ftttu likes this.
  15. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Yup! My wife has had to adopt a strict vegan diet for her health. It has worked wonders! But she doesn't pretend that fake meat is healthy or good for the planet. It is good for the family when the only option is a burger joint...

16. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I'm not gonna try one until a free one is offered to me. not even 1cent

nrajeff likes this.
  17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Save your money, I was wrong.

After we posted I started wondering if I had tried Impossible or Beyond, so I called the guy at the burger joint I tried it and he confirmed it was Impossible. I thought it was Beyond Meat as they had gone public at that time and I wanted to try it, so crossed my wires (at the time, I didn't know Impossible even existed, I thought based on all the hype surrounding the IPO Beyond Meat was alone out front).

Anyway, the way he prepared it, I couldn't tell the difference from his meat offering that I have had many times.

FWIW, he said he has since discontinued selling it. He said after a brief rush, sales fell off to a point it didn't make sense to keep offering it.

nrajeff and peng like this.
  18. Cmacc

Cmacc

No thanks. I’ll let others be the subjects of this social, scientific, political experiment....from Healthline.com

“Heme, or soy leghemoglobin, is the ingredient said to set the Impossible Burger apart from other plant-based burgers. It adds to the flavor and color of the burger and makes it “bleed” like a beef burger does when cut.

It’s also perhaps the most controversial ingredient in the Impossible Burger.

Unlike the heme found in beef, the heme in the Impossible Burger is genetically engineered by adding soy protein to genetically engineered yeast

Current studies on soy leghemoglobin have only been conducted in animals and over short periods.

However, it’s currently unknown whether it’s safe for humans to eat this man-made compound over longer periods.”

nrajeff and WeeWilly like this.
  19. Z71bill

Z71bill

A pure vegetarian would not want their patty cooked on the same grill with real meat.

BK cooks them all on the same grill.

WeeWilly likes this.
  20. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I haven't tried one yet. I may or may not, don't know.

I don't think it's so much about being "greener" than it is about money. I believe they are trying to capture a piece of the vegetarian market. I also don't think a company will go green if it affects their bottom line.

nrajeff likes this.