The humble milkman

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Does he still exist today? :dunno:

[​IMG]

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

:whistling:

Only... if you don't claim to be the father.

:supergrin:

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Look at him...setting the milk bottle down on the OPENING side of the door, so the homeowner will knock it over and break it when they come out. No consideration at all...or maybe that's his plan, so they'll buy TWO next time.
    Sneaky way to jack up the sales numbers, see?

4. SHG21

SHG21

Yep he still exists but the cost of his services has gone through the roof.

5. longhair

longhair

If you look closer, you will see that he sets the bottle so the bottom of the door swings past the neck and misses the bottle.

6. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

My grandmother had an insulated milk box on her porch where he would place the milk, I also remember the glass milk bottles in school. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I say no way, that baby is going over like a bowling pin...CRACK! SPLOOSH, GLUG GLUG GLUG milk all down the sidewalk...and someone tell him to buy some comfortable walking shoes...

8. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Funny you should mention that. Wife and I were just remembering the milkman coming to the door with ice on his beard and his face all red,wanting us to fill out the next mondays order. Guy could have been a double for ol saint nick. lol.

There hasnt been a milkman is quite a few years now.

9. guitarguy69

guitarguy69 Glock'N Roll

Just looked up Schwan's and they don't even deliver milk anymore. I wonder when the mailman will also suffer a similar demise?

10. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Man! Those were the days. I remember as a kid; every Tuesday and fridays the milk man coming around. Good old chocolate milk and Ice cream would be waiting on us. I use to be the first one off the school bus in the afternoon; running straight to grandmas house.

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I remember the milk box. You put the empties in it and he would take them when he dropped off fresh milk, to be cleaned {HOPEFULLY} and refilled.

There's a local dairy that supplies the Waynesboro Krogers that uses glass bottles.

12. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

We used to have an insulated box on our porch for the milkman to leave the milk in. It was about a foot square, silver colored and had the dairy's name on it. Sometimes he would leave chocolate milk or butter in the box. The days he would leave chocolate milk in the box were good days...MMmmm, good.

13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I vaguely remember as a toddler in the '50's having a milkman come to our house in the suburbs. When we moved "to the county" that all stopped.

I wonder if our friends in England still have door-to-door milk service. They did well into the '90's. I remember the milk "floats" over there were like large, battery-powered golf carts and the milk was out in the open and not refrigerated. (Not that it had to be...English summers can be pretty chilly early in the morning.)

I also remember how the sparrows seemed to know the heavy cream from the skim milk. You had to get up early or they would peck throught the "gold tops" and have a sip.

14. mailman994

mailman994 NRA Member

We still had milkmen until just a few years ago, maybe like 2-3 years ago. I still see the milk boxes outside from time to time.

15. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Our milkman had a foul mouth. I'll never forget his obscenities on those cold days.

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

He don't need good shoes, that's only the service rep who goes out and fixes mis-orders and problems like you describe. The route driver has been at home in bed since dawn. This guy is just ensuring job security by the strategic placement of the bottle. He'll be back.

17. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

They has milkmens in England. I saw one in that movie where he broke into the MI-6 safe house with the exploding milk jugs and kidnapped the Russian defector.

18. Unistat

Unistat

Calder's in SE Michigan still delivers. I grew up on this stuff and it is the best. Awsome chip dip, egg nog and of course great milk!

19. major

major Rejected member

I told my son that I learned to ride a bicycle by standing on a milk box in order to get on the bike, because it was so big.

Of course his response was, "What's a milk box?"

20. jilverthor

jilverthor

My wife and I still have a milkman. There is a cooler on our porch, and they stop by weekly. We used to get organic milk from Sam's when it was cheap, but after the price sky rocketed we switched to delivery and like it even better. Their skim milk is the only skim I have ever been willing to drink if forced, most of it is vile stuff.