Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Context: Your carry handgun, anytime you are putting the gun into the holster while wearing the holster. Depending on how you carry and how you do things this could be a daily arming-up situation, or it could only be at the range during practice/training where you are holstering the [loaded] pistol. This is also what you would expect to do, as a matter of training/habit, should you ever need to draw (fire or not) the pistol in a defensive capacity.

Two schools of thought of which I am aware:

The Don't Look.
-Advantage: Maintain maximal situation awareness by keeping your head up. Can use one or two hands (if available).
-Disadvantage: More difficult to tell if there is something in the trigger guard, which has been known/claimed to happen.

Look it in:
-Advantage: Make sure there is nothing to pull that trigger, and make sure you really are sticking it where it is supposed to go [...]
-Disadvantage: Might lose some situational awareness as you look down

Possible game changers in deciding which method, that I can think of:
-Striker fired or similar with no manual safety, the relatively short and light trigger and no safety is easier to depress than something like a true DAO, might make one more likely to want to look
-A traditional double action aka SA/DA, that you decock to DA before holstering, or a DAO with a hammer, where you can put your strong hand thumb over the hammer to both feel that it is in fact in the down position as well as provide great leverage against the trigger pulling/hammer going back
-Appendix carry + striker no safety or similar...you're probably going to be damn sure to pick the "look it in"

So, which do you pick, and why?

I have settled on 'look it in'

Reasoning, as I see it, applied to me:
-I holster a loaded gun many, many times in an administrative setting where the situational awareness of a defensive gun use scene is not an issue, and carry mostly striker pistols with no safety, so I want to see that trigger/guard for all of those holster/re-holster actions.

-Additionally, if I ever have to draw in a defensive situation, I'm going to be reluctant to put it back in the holster, no rush, no hurry, I figure if looking down for 1-2 seconds is too dangerous, holstering the gun and requiring 1-2 seconds to draw and fire is also too dangerous so I just won't be going back to the holster yet.

I can use my thumb on my trigger hand to feel the holster (mostly a hybrid IWB issue) and get the gun back in without looking, but, my take is, why risk that? Take a peek at the trigger/trigger guard on the way in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
On duty, never look but that is with a big holster mounted away from my body. Off duty IWB or or other concealed holster I have to look to make sure holster is clear of clothing etc.
I would say be as efficient as possible and reholster behind cover or concealment, if you need to look.

·
Millenium #3936
6,590 Posts
I look for a very brief instant but I always look when I reholster and I look when I reload. I am old skool that way... I still use the low ready pistol stance and I always grip the magwell of my rifle. I do not have a overarticulated 25 point draw stroke, I do not hold a rifle like a fire hose and I do not perform press checks.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I always look, because I am super paranoid (conscientious) about not cracking off a round into my thigh.

I've seen Nutnfancy repeatedly drawing and jamming his gun back in the holster with his eyes on the target. Jamming the gun in the holster without eyeballs on it is just plain dangerous. All it takes is a little shirttail out of place, and kaboom.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I look. I shoot IDPA once or twice a month, and sometimes competitors will struggle to re-holster their guns after they load them at the beginning of the stage because they're not looking. Frankly, that scares me. It doesn't take long to holster if you're watching it into the holster. In a real life-and-death situation, if you don't think you have a second or two to holster, perhaps you should still have the gun out.

·
probably on theboresite.com right now.
3,995 Posts
O.W.B.
re holstering with index and middle finger straight beside slide as a guide into the holster until i hear the click of the retention.
also my thumb touches the top of the holster and rides flat onto it.
if that makes sense,i do look when i replace my cover garment.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always look, because I am super paranoid (conscientious) about not cracking off a round into my thigh.

I've seen Nutnfancy repeatedly drawing and jamming his gun back in the holster with his eyes on the target. Jamming the gun in the holster without eyeballs on it is just plain dangerous. All it takes is a little shirttail out of place, and kaboom.
I was at a class that stressed the no-look reholster and one of the students was shooting a G19 AWIB, quickly reholstering without looking. When I thought about it, it made me cringe a little. It was a rigid all kydex holster with finger outside trigger guard, but, still...that's a big fat nope for me

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
19,599 Posts
Fast to draw, slow to holster. As DocPoison said - duty holster, no lookee. AIWB, always lookee and sometimes holster even comes off depending on the holster.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts