close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The history of a rifle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bpe5008, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bpe5008

bpe5008 TSD Blackbelt

My grandfather had quite a collection of rifles, most of which were also inherited by him from his father, or brought back from WWII by himself. My father inherited them, and someday I will do the same. Meanwhile, being the gun enthusiast I am, over the years I have researched most of them to find out their history and worth. Most of them were easy to identify such as a 1849 Harper Ferry percussion musket, or a 1903 Springfield bolt action rifle. (both used by my family in wars of those respective periods).

There was one rifle though I could not identify. It was a beautifully handcrafted percussion cap musket which had only one identifying mark on it. The name J. Sackett was stamped on the top of the barrel. So I went to the internet and searched high and low for the name J. Sackett.

I came across a post in The Firing Line Forum from a guy asking about a similar rifle. Another gentlemen had commented saying he was a decedent of a J. Sacket who was a gunsmith, rifle maker, and violin maker. The post was about 5 years old so I figured it was a long shot but I emailed the person who had replied to the op.

He emailed me back the next day, and through our correspondence we found that both of our Great-Great-Great grandfathers had lived in the same town in Pennsylvania and that mine had bought this rifle from his. It is interesting to think that after hundred years and three generations the rifle that brought our ancestors together, also introduced us.

Needless to say I was very pleased to learn that this rifle had a great history behind it, and someday It will be hanging on display in my house.

I wanted to share this story with you, and show the kind of history a rifle can hold, and of course hear some of your own stories and histories of family heirlooms. Especially if it happens to be a firearm :winkie:

some pictures of the rifle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Beautiful old rifle and cool story too. I have some of my Dads guns but that is all. The ones from my grandfathers are long gone. It's nice to see that you appreciate them, you are very lucky.

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Beautiful craftsmanship!!!

4. bpe5008

bpe5008 TSD Blackbelt

Yes I am quite lucky and grateful for what my family has left for me.

5. bpe5008

bpe5008 TSD Blackbelt

here are some pics that I forgot to put up. Interesting fact...the front site was made from a coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Wow...that is an art piece...oh wait...its a rifle! Beautiful!

7. MoCop

MoCop

Oh my!!:wow:
    Beautiful rifle you have there.

8. bpe5008

bpe5008 TSD Blackbelt

Yes it really is art. The craftsmanship that went into it is amazing. Not to mention that it is this beautiful after a hundred years. Interestingly, like I mentioned above J. Sackett also made violins. Which I learned from my correspondence with his grandson were much more ornate and exceptionally beautiful. Also highly prized by collectors.