close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The high cost of a college education continues to rise

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Mr981

Mr981

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-24/u-s-colleges-raise-tuition-4-8-outpacing-inflation.html

Apparently, universities have decided that their customers will just have to come up with the cash however they can, rather than the schools freeze or reduce tuition costs.

When I graduated from a fairly expensive private school in the mid-70's tuition ran about $50/hour; that same school charges about $950/hour. In 2012 dollars, my ending tuition rate was $235/hr--leaving $700/hr to pay for stuff which I suspect we didn't have.

The ability to borrow from private lenders/Feds has helped fuel this run up, since I doubt students could finance this on their own (summer jobs/parents).

2. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

My BS IT degree from UMass (which will be done completely online) is going to run me right around $40k ($360/CH). That doesn't include the cost of books. I'm eligible for $9750 per school year in TA/reimbursement via the Army Reserves and my civilian job. I'd say I'll end up maybe 5K out of pocket tops when all is said and done. There's no way I could ever pay that out of pocket if loans weren't available to me. My wife, on the other hand, is going to a local university for her MSBS, and is only paying $191/CH on campus. I looked into ITT, they're running around $76k for an online BSIT degree, and over 100k at one campus! :wow:

3. JMS

JMS 02

4. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

50k for Daughters BS Chem Eng from RIT. She got a 50% scholarship.

:crying: It hurts BAD

5. Fox184

Fox184

And the big problem is the education isn't paying off much once people graduate with a degree.

Get a 50 grand a year job to pay for a 50 grand education, or become an apprentice in a trade and work up to 50 or 60 grand, but not have any student debt?

6. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Or... join the military and have them pay for college while getting some experience.

7. RJ1670

RJ1670 Addicted Member

I wish I could find a $50k/yr job. I have an Accounting degree and 4 yrs of military service. I can't even sniff $50k.

8. TK-421

TK-421

My brother has a bachelors in some video game degree, like $70k of debt I think, and the only job he can find is working in the back at PetSmart. Kids these days are leaving college with tens of thousands in debt, and have to spend a few years looking for a job to pay them back. It's crazy.

9. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

Obama is focusing on student loans to get the sympathy and votes from college students/graduates and draw attention away from his failure to improve the economy. What good does a degree do you if you can't find a job?

10. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

What would it take for you to be certified a CPA?

Many law firms are looking for tax paralegals. My employer usually has openings for them. They average 58k a year salary.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Lots of people who don't need to go to college are anyway.

12. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

It's called indentured servitude. The put a nice carrot in front and if you take it, they own your *** for the rest of your life.

13. heliguy

heliguy

University north TX for my freshman is $6,000 tuition per semester. Highway robery

14. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

"Them pay?" You mean "us" (taxpayers).

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If people think that higher education is expensive now, they should go back and recheck the cost of college education a hundred plus years ago.

16. boomhower

boomhower

People are just paying two much. Go to community college for two years for dirt cheap. Then transfer to a four year for your final two years and get your degree. You've spent almost half the money for the same degree.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's part of the deal. GIs don't make squat for base pays, so they have other perks.

Either that or draft everybody's asses and make everybody serve.

18. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I blew $350K on four daughters through college... :frown:

19. Viper16

Viper16

I struggled between going and not going. I am very mechanically inclined and everyone wants that piece of paper to let you know that you know how to follow directions and have patience to learn. While I could've used some of the mathematical training...it was nothing I couldn't grab up a book and teach my self with aid.

I ended up getting associates and then couldn't hack the teenagers disrupting me, the teacher, and the rest of the class that wanted to learn. Teach had no backbone, and let them walk all over him. I think the one that really got me was a professor was more interested in telling us how much he hates his wife than teach his math class. I swear the first 10 classes we focused more on his personal life than getting into the class subject.

Anyways...6 years later and make more than most graduates with bachelors in my career field and other similar career fields. not bragging, just saying with patience and hard work, it can be done.

It seems nowadays everyone wants someone to be experienced from the date of hired...hard to do when you are a fresh grad.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't know why people think that everything needed to be learned from school either. There are libraries out of the wazoos. Sure, chances of regular folks learning quantum mechanics on their own is rather tough, but algebra? Trig? That ain't nuthin'.

I was glad that my math classes were taught primarily by foreign graduate students. I can't understand their Hindglish or Chinglish, but what the hell, you're there for the numbers and the squiggles, and not English lessons.

Gotta be smart and work smart. Degrees may help you get a job easier, but it doesn't mean it'll help you get a high paying job later, or even advancement at all. It's camel's nose under the tent, no more and no less.

Nope. It's always like that. :wavey: