close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Great California Exodus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Mr981

Mr981

The article was published today in the WSJ; the link takes you to it without a subscription:

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/california-350406-best-kotkin.html

From a well known demographer that was schooled at UC-Berkely, now teaching at Chapman Uni. in Orange, CA.

Essentially, it's a story about state government that is out of control and how CA is quickly becoming a state of a few ultra wealthy, public employees and large numbers of people on public assistance. If you're a privately/self employed middle class person, the state is becoming too expensive to live in.

Interesting read..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

So true, I really need to leave the PRK

3. 427

The problem is that the cali liberal mentality is going with the people to other states.

4. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

America's future Detroit!

5. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Exactly. They've got the sewer touch. Everything they touch turns to garbage.

They've ruined Oregon, Washington State, Denver, Austin, Nashville, Tulsa, and numerous other metropolitan districts.

There's an exodus from kalifornistan taking place, but we don't want them.

Stay where you are and let us remain free.

6. CAcop

CAcop

That was a pretty good article. He didn't scapegoat too much. It's pretty much what I have been saying all along.

The rich/well off don't really care because they got theirs.

The poor get theirs from permanent welfare.

The only real middle class in this state are governement employees.

With my job I spend most of my time arresting the welfare class to protect the rich. If I had gone into the private sector rather than police work I would have ended up in OR or NV. In 10 years when I retire I might leave the state. I think it really depends on where my kids go to college or settle down.

7. harrygunner

harrygunner

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/money/why-businesses-move-out-of-california-20111109

There are companies that focus on assisting businesses in moving out of California. e.g. http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/

I moved out last winter. Re-incorporated, transferred business resources and set up primary residence elsewhere. Very expensive, but well worth it for me.

If you do a search on "business friendly states", "states ranked by personal freedom" and "states with strong gun regulations", you'll notice California shows up on the wrong end of every ranking.

Not just about firearms regulations, I had a permit to carry concealed since the mid-90's. I came there because it is a beautiful state. But, it became too over-crowded to really enjoy the beauty. Taxes, insurance, employees, gasoline, housing are all much more expensive than in adjacent states. And, over time, the government became just overwhelmingly "wrong headed".

Fortunately, there are other beautiful states. I'm constantly amazed at how friendly people are where I am now. Guess freedom has that effect on you.

Next step, buy a nice black rifle with a big magazine!

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If your own state's residents are so weak-willed that the Kommifornians came and changed your culture/politics, then you have yourselves to blame.

Man, I didn't realize we Kommiefornians hippy liberals are sooooooo powerful!!!:rofl:

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Who would want to go to a hippy wannabe joint? The real hippies are in San Francisco.

11. FLIPPER 348

12. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Oregon is full of the that **** California brings to Oregon.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Texas doesn't want you.

:wavey:

14. HexHead

HexHead

Screw building the fence along the southern border, we need one along CA's eastern border.

And some former E. German border guards to man it. They were good at keeping people in.

15. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

We're gettin' up a fund to pay the illegal Californians to move to Oregon and take Austin with 'em.

Leave the honky tonks.

16. ugly8604

ugly8604

I think the whole "super-rich" public employee thing is total bull****. The fact is the vast majority of public employees make less than 100k a year, a few, mainly cops and firemen, make about 100k base with health care included. A wage well deserved.

The problem is not the run of the mill public employee, it's the public employee ADMINISTRATOR. Those who climb the ladder by doing pretty much nothing other than kissing *** and licking taint.

It amazes me how there are some school administrators, police and fire chiefs, etc that get paid $200k a year. Based on my experience their job is NOT very difficult and does not warrant a salary of such magnitude.

In addition to these administrators being overpaid, there are also more of them than necessary. So many BS, useless administrator positions making astronomical salaries have popped up at every public agency in the state.

We need to get rid of these do nothing suit and tie fat cats. We need to keep the honest, hard working middle-class public employees (teachers, cops, firemen, etc). Cut the fat, keep the muscle.

17. ugly8604

ugly8604

Not to mention the illegals and welfare are ruining everything too.

18. FLIPPER 348

hardly

...and the gold plated retirement also for them needs to end. The cops and firefighters should be contracted out as the state can not afford the PERS

19. ugly8604

ugly8604

Hardly what? Cops and Firemen don't deserve a good wage or they make more than 100k? Go ahead and cite your source.

How is it gold plated? You apparently don't know **** about PERS. I pay a certain amount of money into my PERS retirement every month. My city, through contract negotiations, decides to match what I put into it.

For math's sake, let's say I put $500 bucks a month into my PERS retirement, the city will also put $500. As they promised when I was hired. That $1000 bucks goes to PERS, which is ultimately just an investment company, who invests the money into the stock market as part of my retirement package.

In order to afford this, each citizen in the community I serve has to pay less than $300 a YEAR. That's right, less than $300 bucks a year for men and women to take care of their city 24/7, 365. If you don't live in my community, you don't pay for me.

If the city deems necessary, they can change the retirement for new hires (which they've already done).

20. FLIPPER 348

I have a family full of california firefighters, you sound just like them. That you consider California's PERS system to be fully funded is quite comical!