The Glock 44 Thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HEXE9, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ViperR

ViperR

I stand corrected after doing some research regarding to part prices.
    The OEM's dot 5*, plain 5.5* and plus 8* connectors are on average $6.99 on several sites.
    The minus (OEM, mind you, and was once called 3.5*, but now 4.5*) is $24.99 across the board for some strange reason.
    Another forum said it is a Glock controlled part only for Glock armorers to obtain.
    Is this a money maker or what? I just don't understand the huge price difference. It's just a stamping no different from the other weight stamping's as far as having the tooling already set up for all of them. Probably one dedicated machine for each type, being mass produced all the time.
    I'll stick with what came in my G44. It's just a plinker.
    Anybody's input is appreciated.
    And no, I'm not going to spend $35 and over for an aftermarket.

2. Joe A.

Joe A.

The trigger pull on my G44 is the same as on my G19 and G41, 5# 7 ounces.

Buckshot Barry likes this.

3. professor309

professor309

The minus connector is only available to Law Enforcement agencies (not individual officers). It is not available to armorers. You can download the armorer’s parts/price list here.

https://us.glock.com/-/media/global...tified-armorers-only-updated-121018.pdf?la=en.

The were also available installed in new pre Gen 4 guns.
    Most of the ones you see for sale have been pulled from these guns. So that is the reason for the premium. Glock sells them all for $3 each.

There are several aftermarket ones if you are not restricted to OEM parts like I am for my guns used in GSSF competitions. But beware, I’ve also seen several people have issues with aftermarket ones.

SARDG likes this.
  4. ViperR

ViperR

Thanks.
    I did read issues with aftermarkets and that's why I wanted go with strictly with OEM.
    What I found interesting is my Gen5 G48 has the minus and posted that in another thread here to see what others have from factory. That feel on the 48 is perfect, but too bad I can't swap out to try because of the thinner and different trigger housing for the 43/43X/48.
    What I thought was disturbing, was Lenny Magill's Glock Store has them for the $24.99 price on OEM's. I thought all his OEM parts are brand new factory. If he is getting them new @ $3 for any weight and charging $6.99 for 5/5.5/8 AND $24.99 for 4.5, it's just not right.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. Terry G

Terry G

I agree with this. "Make the hand fit the tool". You get issued a gun in the Military and you learn to shoot it accurately. The same for my LEO Agency. I have never sent a gun away to have a trigger worked on. If it's terrible, I sell the gun and buy another or I learn to live with it. Glock's have a trigger that has to be learned, so I learned it. No big deal.

6. ViperR

ViperR

Agreed, too. I'll get used to my G44 and live with it. Not putting any big bucks in it. Just a fun shooter. I do shoot it well. Just want to make the pull on an even keel with center fires.
    Just some thinking on to make it somewhat lighter in pull.
    The G44 is it's own animal by nature and design.
    I just wish the trigger wasn't as hard as other models with the same weight connector. I do think, as another member said, it's the stiffer rimfire striker spring that makes it all stiffer.
    Oh well, just something I was pondering, but not worth the money or worry anymore for a range toy, but so, so much fun to shoot being a striker fired Glock. I love mine.

7. ak103k

ak103k

Ive been sitting here pulling the triggers and comparing them on one of my Gen 4 19's and one of my 44's, and Im not seeing any difference in them.

Im thinking youre just worrying on it too much. :)

Buckshot Barry and SARDG like this.
  8. ViperR

ViperR

Maybe, but just what I feel in the 44. And you are correct. I am a perfectionist by nature and design. Must be from being a lefty.
    You're cool in my book ak103k.

9. sfario

sfario

My problem with my Glock 44 (and my G19, G23, G34, and G35) is the shape of the trigger and trigger blade. After a clip or 2 my trigger finger pinches like hell. I don't have much strength in my hand anymore (advanced years). What solved it for me was to use flat triggers. I also used Ghost triggers in the centerfires Wish Glock made a flat trigger for the G44.
    Bob A

10. Big-T

Big-T

Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm interested in purchasing a Glock 44, however I've done a bit of research including the various youtube videos and forum threads out there and I've come to a bottom line conclusion that:

1) As this is a 1st gen product, there are some teething issues. Mainly around reliably feeding certain types of ammo. Sounds like it's revolving more around the magazine than the gun itself, although I'm not quite sure on that.

2) It's likely Glock may make some minor under the hood changes to help these feeding issues as time goes on. Although it won't be formally announced by Glock as some new model or generation.

Does that sound right to the experts here? If so, I've got the following questions:

1) it's been about 6 months since the release of this model. I haven't seen any super new videos out from the major youtubers out there (22 plinkster, military channel, etc). I'm curious if there's some consensus out there on whether any of these unspecified tweaks may have happened already...aka...would a Model 44 bought today be more reliable and/or tolerant of all types of ammo than the guns reviewed back in February?

2) I've heard unsubstantiated rumors of a 15 round mag coming. Is there any thought on when Glock might start releasing those? End of year? Sooner? Is it anyone's guess?

I'd prefer to buy this model after some of the issues have been hammered out, which pretty universally folks seem to say Glock will make, but I"m unsure how to know if Glock has made them, or when they will make them?

11. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

Not really a gen 1 product. A few people have had issues, but I think the majority are fine.

That's true of all Glock pistols. For example, there's already been like 4 versions of the Gen 5 guns. Only one of which was really "announced" other than the intial Gen 5 launch.

12. ak103k

ak103k

I have two 44's that I bought when they first came out, and I havent had any troubles with either.

Right now, Im halfway through my second case (around 7500 rounds), and until recently, when I tried some old, Federal Target, thats loaded light, I had three total stoppages, and two of those were old ammo thats had problems in other things, so it wasnt a gun issue.

The gun didnt like theFederal's and I quit using it after the second mag. Other than that, everything else Ive put in the gun, has worked well.

I also bought a bunch of mags when I got the guns, so I didnt have to keep loading as I shoot, and have a total of 11 now. Other than noticing a couple of "level" rounds when loaded on a couple of mags early on, Ive had zero problems with the mags.

At first, I was doing what others had said needed done when loading the mags so you wont have trouble, but soon realized it wasnt needed. If you pay attention as you load and just pull the follower down for one at a time loading, you shouldnt have any troubles.

I load the 44 mags like I load any of the other 22 mags Ive loaded, and do it right in my hands, I dont put them on a table or bench. Out of habit with every mag I load, I rap the back of it in my palm when Im done.

I dont care if Glock comes out with a 15 round mag or not. Never understood why people were making such a big deal about it.

Every other 22 auto Ive owned over the years had a 10 round mag, so I dont see that its a big deal. But, if its youre thing, keep watching. I dont think Id hold my breath though. :)

SARDG likes this.
  13. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Who knows the convoluted minds at Glock.... not even them looking in a mirror. I have a Kel-Tek PMR-30, so I know more than ten rounds can be loaded in a magazine with adequate capacity magazines, so it could be done.

If I could buy many spares, that would be ideal. No one wants to stop shooting for need to reload a single magazine. More magazines would be better, as would higher capacity magazines help your shooting experience

Part of the charm of a 22LR pistol is the ability to get hands around the grip. 22 Mag makes that much harder as the rounds are so much longer. Even Glock would have to deal with that.

14. Big-T

Big-T

Thanks for the responses folks. So I just came across a youtube video saying Glock was modifying the extractor on all Model 44's starting May 1st. Don't know if anyone here is able to verify that?
    Unfortunately I'm to new to add links, I'll try just to paste the text
    youtube.com/watch?v=HnZDHyFtkzk

Also along those lines, if that is true, how can I tell the production date on a Glock 44?

Buckshot Barry and Pandaz3 like this.
  15. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

March 18, 2020 is the latest armorer's price list. It shows two extractors available, 39070 (marked 39070), and 50702 (marked 39070-1). Serial numbers required for either.

You can email [email protected] with the serial number and ask for the date of manufacture.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  16. Big-T

Big-T

Thanks 58 sniper. As a follow up can you tell what the difference is between the two extractors?

In regards to the serial number, is there some sort of a cheat sheet to help figure out the manufacture date? It would be cumbersome to have have to verify possibly multiple serial numbers ahead of purchase to look for a May production date. I'm sure for the next month or two at least the majority of them will be pre May 1st.

17. 58sniper

58sniper Silver Member

Nope - I don't have pics. But the -1 version would be the newer one.

Try looking here: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-serial-number-research-project.1287557/

18. BDM71

BDM71

Welcome Big-T!

First, yes, I do think it sounds about right. Teething issues are common and so are downplaying, omitting, and denying changes (not necessarily Glock per se, but it certainly happens like with the SIG P320 & P365).

I think there are a few things to consider. First, if this was five years ago, we'd have dozens of videos keeping tabs, but ever since YouTube started demnitizing gun channels, and in some cases shutting them down, people don't have enough money and/or desire to produce content like they used to, so if you're like me and have seen tons of videos over the last 10 or more years, you know good & plentiful content has tried up considerably. In other words, the lack of videos covering the G44 reliability issues isn't be necessarily indicative of the issue being resolved.

A lot of time when these teething problems occur, they're often problems involving the stacking of tolerances which cause some guns to fail or otherwise have problems, so the changes are often made to eliminate these issues, but guns that were built well from the start are usually unaffected. This is why most of the time we see a new release there are more people with guns that never have issues (but we can easily remember the minority who do).

We saw this with the initial Gen4 pistols (G19's/G23's throwing brass if I remember correctly), we've seen this with the Glock 43, and we've also seen this happen with other brand/models like the SIG P320 & P365 pistols as I mentioned. CNC machines have to be routinely calibrated as their precision starts to diminish over time. I have a Beretta that had some crazy looking issues with the slide, for example (things like holes, asymmetry, burrs, etc...). It doesn't take anything crazy like that to cause a gun to have problems. A few parts just need to pull too far to one side or another in spec and when they're thrown together and trying to get the job done they sometimes fail.

PX4 Storm defective slide.jpg

I don't recall the company off the top of my head, but they have those new metal Glock 15-round mags for the G43x and G48, so I wouldn't be surprised if something was in the works. I can't confirm or deny that the G44's issues are limited to the magazine. What I can say is that six months is no guarantee that the issue has been resolved. The P365 seems to be good now, but it took more than six months despite what some SIG fans had to say (I'm a SIG fan too, but I am not prone to denial). What I will say is that Glock is good for the most part in taking care of issues if you have one. I think they do a much better job than SIG or S&W (and I am a big M&P fan as well). You just have to keep in mind you only have a 1 year warranty so don't put off any problems too long if you end up getting one.

Big-T likes this.
  19. Big-T

Big-T

Thank you for the extremely thoughtful reply BDM71.

BDM71 likes this.
  20. Toocool45

Toocool45

Ive bought 2 G44 models the first week of production. Ive got over 1,270 rounds through one. The others still new. I started out shooting junk unmarked ammo from a loose box in the basement. As that ammo got used up and as the guns been shot more its gotten a lot more reliable. To the point where it had a failure to feed once the last time i shot it. Thats it. The time before that 100% reliable. It is a .22 so I personally don't expect it to work 100% of the time. I do clean it every time i shoot it. Even my Smith & Wesson 617 was not 100%, it had ammo not work. I do buy bulk ammo though. The Glock G44 is fun and accurate. They are good guns. Dont let its cheap appearance fool you its all Glock. My experience is mine needed a break in period unlike most other Glocks.

Buckshot Barry, SARDG and Big-T like this.