The Glock 44 Thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HEXE9, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I wouldn't put .22LR in the same league as BB guns and ball caps with regards to how they may tarnish a reputation.

There's a reason Glock claims to have spent 3 years developing the G44 and claim to have fired 141 different kinds of ammo (presumably without failure) and did so to the tune of a claimed 1.2m+ rounds fired. Not only that, they have Sootch00 saying they have one G44 with 12,000 rounds fired without any cleaning and without a single failure.

This tells me they most certainly care about the performance of the gun and they do feel the performance of the G44 reflects on their company as a whole.

2. JN01

JN01

I'll add my experience to the thread.

I got my G44 on 1/24. Ran 300 rounds, consisting of Mini-mags, Federal Auto Match, Blazer, and Remington Golden Bullets. All 40 grain bullets except for the Goldens which are 36 Grain.

I obtained 3 extra magazines for a total of 5. I loaded them by standing them on the bench, pulling down the side tabs enough to load one round at a time. I did not do anything with respect to how the top bullet nose was oriented.

In the 300 rounds, I had 2 failures to extract (1 Mini-mag, 1 Golden Bullet) and one stovepipe (I believe it was also a Mini-mag).

At 7 yards, point of impact was pretty much on for elevation, but slightly to the left, which was corrected with a sight adjustment. My best group of 5 rounds at that range (2 handed, standing, unsupported) was around dime size.

Took it out again today and fired 250 rounds of Blazer and 65 rounds of Federal Auto Match. Zero malfunctions.

So far, 615 rounds total, 3 malfunctions. Not perfect, but it runs better than my AA conversion kit. I feel bad for those that have had issues with theirs, there is obviously a problem with consistency between individual guns.

I should note that I have not used as wide a variety of ammo types as some of those who have had issues, it remains to be seen if mine is picky about other 36 grain bullets as well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    PM720, faceplant and boilergonzo like this.

3. ak103k

ak103k

And from the performance of both of my guns, and most of those posting here, I dont thnik they really have much to worry about in that respect.

The whole point of the airsoft and tees shirt comment was simply pointing out the level of lunacy that things usually tend to get to on the internet. Sorry for the "zing". :)

4. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Last week a few of the guys and me spent the entire day driving around visiting every LGS within 200 miles.

When we’d ask the owner or salesperson their thoughts on and how the feedbacks been on the G44, the overall responses were all too similar.

It’s a lemon
    What a turd
    Nothing but problems
    Not your typical Glock
    They dropped the ball on this one
    Why didn’t they vet it properly
    They’ll get it worked out

And a few said that sales have died off now that “everyone’s heard about the problems their having”.

Only Glock knows (or will know soon) the percentage of problem pistols and the reasons for them.

And they’ll get things figured out, they always do.

And since you’re reading this Glock, a G42 sized .22LR in black, please!

5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Color me skeptical. While Glock's marketing was certainly over-hyping G44 details, I don't believe for a second a single G44 went 12,000 rounds without a single failure with zero cleaning. I just don't. If that is the standard, those reading the owners manual and seeing "clean after 100 rounds" should be scratching their heads!

I am similarly skeptical that 141 types of ammo were used, at least in any statistically meaningful fashion. If it had been, Glock's service group would have been prepared for the issues many are having with lower power and lower weight rounds and failures to feed, and had better guidance.

There is a major disconnect between what was said, and what we have. Had the gun been launched with a little less bragging, I think it would have been chalked up to a gun company releasing a gun and "letting its customers do the testing" (a very common refrain, these days), with future revisions solving them all. If they TRULY did 1.2M rounds of testing with 141 kinds of ammo and failed to notice the first round feeding failures and failures to cycle... YIKES! That is a level of incompetence that I think is well below Glock's level. I don't believe that, either. Which leads me back to skepticism... I think the numbers are fluff, and this is a fairly normal launch, with early release teething issues. No more, no less.

I have and carry a 365. My advice to everyone for that gun was to agree it had early issues, but to let the manufacturer solve it, and fairly re-evaluate its status later. And they have fixed it.

My advice to the G44 crowd would be identical. Denying the issues would be silly, but so is assuming Glock won't get it resolved. That would defy all historical evidence of Glock's prior performance, and also be silly. They deserve a chance to sort it out. These are little problems, not end-of-the-world failures.

Glock's marketing does deserve every bit or wrath they incur, though. Accountability is part of the game, and jeopardizing their reputation with ridiculous exaggerations will tarnish a reputation if lessons are not learned. Existing Glock fans will remember the reliable brand, newer shooters will remember the failures. This is not your father's Oldsmobile won't resurect a tarnished brand. They have a great reputation, and should avoid marketing ploys that put that hard-earned and well-deserved respect at risk with future gun buyers.

PM720, faceplant and ExecutiveWill like this.
  6. milsurpman

milsurpman

I gave my wife her birthday G44 on the 16th at the outdoor range. The only gun I have Been teaching her to shoot is a Glock 19. Interesting initial reaction she didn’t like the light weight. But soon after getting used to it she began to appreciate the gun. It allowed her to see her mistakes with trigger control where the Glock 19 it was harder to diagnose. We went through 200 rounds of federal auto match though I don’t Like My mags due to failures loaded with 10 rounds. My mags function fine loaded at nine no failures at all. Though I do slingshot the follower to make sure magazine has round pointed correctly. Firearm itself is perfect.In the future after the gun is out for a while I will get replacement magazines. You guys will like the wife refuses to shoot anything but Glock. I tried to get her to shoot a Smith third GEN she refused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM720 likes this.
  7. milsurpman

milsurpman

One thing I found out testing wife’s g44 at the indoor range. It Likes to ricochet rounds from side panel to you. So I Needed to show her the gun at the outdoor range. The cartridges hitting her would’ve freaked her out. Now she would be aok more then likely. If she isn’t then outdoor range it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. RPMSTL

RPMSTL

Glock must be producing some faulty mags or followers.

My 2 mags have not had the 1st round fail to load feature.

Successfully went through some Aquila and Federal 40’s this morning, in addition to the usual cast of CCI stuff.

Winchester 45gr Subsonic Super Suppressed’s worked perfectly as well.

Still no joy with any of my stash of 36’s. Lots of stove pipes and fail to extract.

Fastfire lll mounted with the dovetail adapter still holding strong, even after a box of Stangers.

faceplant likes this.
  9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

It is interesting to see the Burris FastFire III is working well. Keep us posted on that. I wasn't confident it would work well, given the early reports of issues with lighter loads (like your 36's). I assumed more weight on the slide would reduce the energy enough causing failures. Your experiences seem to counter that assumption.

10. JN01

JN01

Were those responses from first hand experience or repeating what they heard from other sources?

PM720 likes this.
  11. Terry G

Terry G

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I own Glocks. I would bet my life on them. Pull trigger, it's going to go off. The only malfunctions I've seen have been from tinkering with the gun by someone who had no business doing it and ammunition stored in a damp basement. Guy's buy them , shoot a couple boxes of ammunition through them and throw in a drawer for a year. A year or two later take them out they shoot fine. We all expected the same out of the G44. The ammunition problem was no surprise at all. .22's aren't center fire reliable. Might be someday, but not now. I think there is down right anger and disappointment that the cursed Taurus could produce a pistol superior to a Glock. Well they did. We might as well back off for a bit and let Glock handle it. Cursing Taurus isn't going to fix the G44. If your G44 works fine, OK, there's a lot out there that are not OK.

12. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I noticed that Hank Strange posted a video of them running a G44 with a wide variety of ammo yesterday (Feb 18th). Hank gave me permission to take some of the malfunctions and compile them for posting here.

They had the same issues I had with first round failures to feed in my first video. I attribute most the failures I saw in their video to how the magazines were loaded. They, like me, assumed it was just another .22 magazine and loaded them without paying too much attention. After all, I've never had a .22 pistol that was problematic if I didn't take deliberate care in how I loaded the mags.

They even had a live round stovepipe failure just as I did, which I found interesting.

When the gun was loaded and running, like mine, it ran fine with ammo it liked (which was most of the ammo they used). It seemed to be mostly problematic with that first round feeding which I now know is a magazine quirk.

13. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

There has to be a bad batch of mags or frames or slides or barrels or something. I can't believe how some people have that much trouble (I do believe it since it is on video) and others are running like clockwork.

I do absolutely nothing to load my mags in any special way. I do typically load them resting on the bench, but, I do that anyway since I load with a Upula for my 9mm guns. I just pull down and load the 44 mags. Maybe my natural way of loading is what works. I kinda slide them on top of the previous round as I load them similar to using the Upula.

Terry G, JN01 and ak103k like this.
  14. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

.22lr is notoriously failure prone outside lever and bolt guns. All these claims of firing x number of rounds is bullcrap, let alone Glock's tall claims.

In 25+ years of shooting all the popular brands of .22lr ammo I have yet to see my own semiauto .22's or anybody elses shoot more than 50-100 rounds without a failure. The inconsistency or primer, charge, bullet shape/size/coating is the problem.

Best Glock can hope for is 22/45 or 10/22 like reliability. When Glock does that with 15rd mags, stops blowing up guns, and includes a threaded bbl I'm in.

15. Terry G

Terry G

I agree in principle, but my round count was at 2000 before my 1st malfunction with the TX22. Mostly CCI HV, I admit. But that was an anomaly for sure. I have had no malfunctions (yet) with my Kadet Kit on CZ 75 frame, but that's again with CCI HV and I clean it every hundred or so rounds. So I believe you can get high rounds with top .22's, a clean gun, and a lot of prayer.

16. JN01

JN01

I've had several examples of Ruger Mk series and 10/22s that rarely malfunctioned.

17. ak103k

ak103k

Im on my second case of CCI Blazers now, and other than a number of light strikes in a couple of different revolvers, and that one round that failed to cycle my first 44 early on, I havent had any problems at all with them, which is contrary to what Ive experienced over the years with most other 22's. Fail to fire issues have pretty much always been a given when it comes to 22's.

I dont know if CCI has their **** together better than others, or what, but these Blazers have been pretty miuch 100% in the other auto 22's I have, including an M&P 15-22 and a S&W 422, and of course, both 44's.

I dont know what the problem with the revolvers is, but both the 63 I currently have, and the 317 I recently got rid of, both have/had light strikes on a pretty regular basis when shot DAO, with pretty much everything I put in them. All those rounds did fire on the second strike though, when struck elsewhere on the rim.

The autos dont seem to have the issue as much, if at all.

I had a problem back in the fall with one of S&W's M&P 15-22's I picked up used. It blew the extractor out, kept giving me two to three round bursts here and there, "when" it would decide to reset the trigger. More often than not, it wouldnt do that. Sent it back to S&W three times in a month, and on the third try, they gave me a new gun. The second time back, I dont think they even looked at it, as it did exactly what it was doing when I sent it back, and cycled correctly exactly one time, in 3 mags when I shot it.

Should I have kept it and just kept doing the same thing over and over and *****ing about it? Why? They took care of it, and the replacement has worked 100% since I got it, and Im a happy camper.

I have a feeling, Glock will do the same if you happen to have one of the guns thats being a problem.

I know if it were one of mine, I would have sent it back pretty quick, and I expect it would have been back pretty quick too.

If youre gonna *****, you might as well do it at the people who will take care of it. Constantly *****ing to us really isnt getting anything done. ;)

Right now, Im to the point now, I could care less if your gun isnt working, if all youre doing is *****ing about it, and doing nothing to remedy it. Get Glock to fix it, or sell it to one of us here for cheap and get yourself out of it.We will all be happier. :)

Unless of course, you just like to *****. And it seems around here and a few other places, you dont even need to actually have a gun or any experience with one to do that. :D

So much for reliable internet info. ;)

PM720, Pitmaster Will and Joe A. like this.
  18. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I can't say I recall the last time I had a CCI Mini-Mag fail to fire. I'm sure it's happened, but I don't remember it. CCI has always been one of my "go to" .22's for any problematic firearm.

If by "b*tching" you mean having a discussion about what might cause the problems such as methods on how to load mags, sensitivity to particular loads, new reports of problems, etc. then I think you and I disagree on the definition of "b*tching".

The whole purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss. I learned quite a bit from the "b*tching" here, so much so my G44 almost never has a first round failure to feed anymore if I follow the unpublished rules on loading the mags and sling-shotting the slide vs. using the slide release. I conveyed these tips in my last video and show the G44 running much better than my previous video.

Just how much less could you care? Perhaps you mean, "I couldn't care less". As for remedying any functional issues, I believe many of them can be remedied by following some of the suggestions being offered by the "b*tchers" in this thread. It has certainly helped me.

Jayman28 likes this.
  19. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

The one I keep in the kitchen cabinet for pest control (22/45 with a Griffin Armament silencer) is never cleaned, shot fairly regularly and I don't remember the last time I cleared any type of malfunction... They are great pistols. The early generations will make you invent cuss words trying to get them apart or put them together, but the MkIV's are amazing all the way around.

Mrfixit2016 likes this.
  20. ak103k

ak103k

There is discussing, and then there is *****ing, or the constant carrying on of the same thing over and over, especially when its just seems to be from a few, and not the majority, and no one seems to have made the effort to actually address or correct any problems, if there are any. Not sure exactly when it crosses over from discussing to *****ing, but I would say that for the most part, I do think a good bit of this seems to be beyond just discussion.

And we do seem to be having differing opinions on what the problems are. I load my mags "exactly" like you did for your Taurus in the video, and normally load the gun from slide lock using the slide stop. I dont see that we are doing anything different, but obviously, there is something different going on, and the problem part of it doesnt appear to be on my end, or that of a lot of others who dont seem to be having the issues. So, it kind of makes you go "hmmmm....". Dont know what else to say, other than maybe the next step is a trip back to Glock for your gun to see whats wrong.

Hey, I really hope you get it figured out too, and/or fixed, whatever, and you get to enjoy it like you do your Taurus. Both of my 44's work great, and Im happy. Sounds like there are a lot of other happy campers around as well. I guess because they are happy, they arent *****ing. :)

PM720 likes this.