The Glock 44 Thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HEXE9, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

Not all quality .22's have that many "quirks". I can buy a TX-22 for the same price as a Glock threaded barrel for my G44 and it runs every ammo type I have. I've had two light primer strikes in 1500 rounds... which is a quirk of some .22's. Are you saying Glock can't build a better 22 than Taurus? :eyelashes:

Doc Holliday, Terry G and Karambit777 like this.
  2. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

It's hard to say. I'm not taking my G44 apart so I can avoid the concern of having put it back together incorrectly. Folks are saying at least one of the blown up G44's we've all seen was due to the owner putting the gun back together incorrectly. While I'm confident I can put it back together, my critics would likely disagree.

It's hard to tell from that photo what's going on inside the gun. It's also difficult to determine just how Glock molded the metal in place and what they're using to keep it in place. There are no visible pins that I can find. It may be that Glock has permanently molded the steel into place.

Here's a front on shot of my guns breech face. You can see it's quite busy looking. It almost looks like there's a separate polymer block sitting on top of the metallic breech face.
    [​IMG]

Karambit777, seedub70 and Jayman28 like this.

3. 1911junkee

1911junkee

Curly, Good luck with the new 44! Nice looking Pupper in the avatar!

4. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I bought 2 G 44's with consecutive numbers. I have only shot one. About 600 rds of a mix of CCI 40 grn and 40 grn Aguila. First few mags I had a FTF when the round hung up on the ramp. I field stripped, cleaned and oiled the pistol and have not had an issue with it since. I have had one failure to fire (Light primer strike?) although it appeared to be struck fairly soundly. I am sorry so many folks had issues, but I love mine and am very glad I bought them.

Paul53 and ak103k like this.
  5. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

A little basement FUN today!!!!!!!!

The G44 ran perfect with Aguila Super Colibri no gunpowder 20 grain ammo. You have to hand cycle, but it’s not much more powerful than a pellet pistol.

Even with the shorter overall length of the cartridge it hand cycled fine. The trick was to have the magazine horizontal and bullet tips up and doing the mag spring relax / release trick.

I can shoot my 44 anytime I want now, day or night in the privacy of my basement

[​IMG]

GeoJelly and PM720 like this.
  6. Karambit777

Karambit777

Thanks for that angle and detail. Very much appreciated.

yea I wasn’t expecting you to separate any main structures Of the slide. Iv never seen a 44 up close, so I didn’t know if you could follow the steel lines to see what part lead to another.

that one pic of the breech and the separate piece of plastic (or looks like it’s separate) is very interesting. Iv never seen this particular aspect in all the other pics.

thanks again.

7. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Thanks for the info. A couple thoughts...

First, based upon your 7 round mag underloading and the issues with the first round often needing adjustment to feed reliably, we probably have some insight into why Glock indirectly mentioned the 15-round magazine but didn't release it or formally announce it. They kept it all very vague and dark. They likely know they have issues to sort out. First up, getting the ten-rounders feeding reliably. Then undertaking the next step up to the 15-rounders. Cart/horse.

Second, if we are really seeing random out of battery issues, this jumps to a new level of concern. I am not saying it is or is not happening, but IF the reports are true, and IF we see more of them, either Glock's lawyers will force action, or someone else's lawyers will force action.

Because this transcends "reliability" and heads directly to "basic user safety". The 320 had serious safety issues to sort out, along with public lawsuits. These things can get ugly fast! I am hopeful this is not a future path here.

8. PM720

PM720

Got any links to these local "blow out" sales? Might want to pick up some bargains. :)

9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I haven't seen any used around me, but the local gun store had many in stock the other day. They did say they were hoping it would be like the G42 and G43, and they ordered lots to get in the queue. They also got what they ordered (unlike prior runs, where they came in slowly, and developed wait lists because their distributor was rationing limited supply among many dealers). They have lots more on order, but stated the rush seems to be over already. If too many more come in prior to getting some sold, they said pricing could change sooner (as opposed to far later in the sales launch cycle).

Who knows? I am sure these early reports do have some pausing planned purchases. They will work (Glock will sort it all out). But will the enthusiasm fade, and people drift on to other wants prior to that happening? We shall see.

10. Bradley T

Bradley T

11. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I'm quite certain the reason we don't have 15 round magazines on the market is because Glock doesn't have them working yet. If they were working, there would be no reason not to have released them as an option at the product launch and made the 10 rounders available to the ban states as another option.

They likely know the 10 round magazines are fickle. There's no way they can't know if they truly fired the millions of rounds in R&D they claim to have fired.

The only other variance I can see is that possibly the Austrian made guns are better made than their US produced counterparts. This wouldn't be the first time an American company wreaked havoc on a domestically produced gun (cough Sig).

I scan the net daily looking for new instances of G44's grenading and I've not found any new reports. That's certainly not to say they're not out there, but it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, thank God.

Despite that, I still won't allow my kids to shoot the G44 until we're absolutely certain there isn't a ghost in the machine with regards to the design. Having a good friend experience an out of battery detonation has me more than a little concerned. So, dad gets to shoot the potential hand grenade until I'm certain it's safe for my kids.

Jayman28 likes this.
  12. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Sounds like a winter range gun for now... allows for the wearing a nice set of gloves (in addition to eye protection). Gloves would look pretty normal for a winter range session (at least in the northern climes!). Given the number they surely sold, and the very few reports, it would seem to be pretty safe. Which is different than safe, but far short of needing a panic button pressed!

13. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Appreciate the info greatly. I have followed quite a bit of your content over the years but am not a Patreon supporter so I appreciate you posting some exclusive content.

I’m a bit bummed as I generally stick with Glock as I, like you, tend to end up with weird issues (Even the famously reliable Mossberg 590). Love Glock simplicity in engineering and have had zero major issues to speak of between any of them.

I’m in the market for a lightweight 22lr pistol for my wife and I to shoot at the range after we polish off the service caliber rounds. Obviously makes for cheap trigger time to have a 22. Guess I might wait a bit on this one to see if more issues crop up or recalls.

thanks again.

14. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

If you want a good 22 for the wife to shoot, I have had very good luck with a my Taurus TX-22. I never thought I would recommend a Taurus product, but I'm not the only one who has had very good luck with them. I haven't found ammo it didn't like and it runs suppressed quite well.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  15. Joe A.

Joe A.

I’ve posted before that my Glock 44 is running great after cleaning firing pin channel following my first shooting session. In near 1100 rounds I have experienced not the first misfeed.. Others are having good luck with theirs,also. Seems that all the focus of those that’s having problems are on the magazines. From what I’ve read it seems that guns that are having misfeeds are having issues with both magazines and guns that are running great runs great on both magazines. I purchased another magazine when I purchased my pistol and all three of them runs perfect. I have not read where there was an issue with one magazine and not with the other. I may be wrong but that sounds like a possible gun problem and not a magazine problem.

Joe

blake711 likes this.
  16. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I got to fire a lot of Remington 36gr Golden bullets today. I fired hundreds of rounds. Throughout the shooting session I had more and more frequent magazine related failures.

The gun mostly ran the Remington 36gr stuff once it got a round chambered. There was one light primer strike, a lot of failures to feed the first round and a couple of failures to extract/eject.

Here's the highlight reel.

17. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

I agree that for me the vast majority of the failures are magazine related. I can't dismiss this because there's no other source for magazines. If bad mags are the issue, Glock needs to get them fixed and replaced ASAP. Right now my gun has multiple failures every range session. I have guns that cost $200 that have no issues (Taurus TX22).

Terry G likes this.
  18. blake711

blake711

Are you checking your magazines to make sure the first round is positioned correctly before loading them? I have run 350-400 Rem GB 36gr through my gun. Once I started paying attention to make sure the first round was oriented right. It has ran pretty much without issue with them. The second mag I ran through the new gun did have one nose up like your photo and that was concerning. Still the few issues my gun has had other than that one. I am blaming on user error when loading mags on my gun.

19. Sturmgewehre

Sturmgewehre

Yes, you can see me do it in the videos (granted, two are very long and unedited). But yes, I make sure. I flick the follower, and at times I invert the mag, flick the follower, and make sure that first bullet isn't sitting nose down.

20. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

Appreciate your insight and time on this. The magazine issues sounds like a giant pain for most folks. I would think that most want to be plinking with this, and not screwing around diagnosing things on a Saturday. I can’t help but wonder if some of this isn’t related to some engineering tolerances between US and Austrian made pistols as they tighten things up. You suggested this, and it makes a lot of sense.