The Glock 43x and 48 Thread.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Turnkey7242, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Glock 43X

52.2%
  2. Glock 48

47.8%
  1. tomrkba

tomrkba

Well...you were whining about it so I responded with my modulated comment.

My actual comment is:

If you are too cheap to spend the money to test it, which includes round count, then stop complaining. Nobody likes a complainer or a cheapskate, and you seem to be both.

2. slym2none

slym2none

Thanks for your opinion!

3. Bradd D

Bradd D

Glocks are cheap.

tomrkba and 40 glock like this.
  4. Roland Navarro

Roland Navarro

New to this forum. To really stir the pot here, I noticed that the Hyve Technologies Aluminum Mag catch for the Glock 48 says it was designed for the OEM mags??? What the...

5. MCCM

MCCM

I replaced all my OEM’s with a Hyve’s and never had any issues.

6. Georgiagunguy

Georgiagunguy

Has anyone fitted night sights for another model Glock (e.g.) 19 on a 43/43X?

I was comparing the width and it’s fractionally wider. I still think it would work?

7. Noponer

Noponer

It depends on the sight shape; you should verify the exact base width on any sights you plan to buy. I have installed a couple of different Ameriglo straight-sided rears on my G43X & G48. They leave minimal room for adjustment, but look & work OK. The ones with sloped sides are too wide... stick out a little unless you want to cut off some. I only use all-black rears, so I can't say anything about night sight products.

I am currently running GTALOR256165's on my G43X & G48. They are slightly higher than the standard for the G43X (6.1mm or 0.240"), but the same height as factory G48 sights (6.5mm or 0.256"). The Ameriglo site says they are not for 42's or for 43 variants, but they suit me. They hang over the rounded edge on each side at the rear slightly, but does not look bad to me. I can't show that well in the photos, but see the white arrow for location. Notice that I have my sights drifted slightly to the right. The older Ameriglo Pro Series are even narrower than these "Talo" sights.

Here are some shots of the G48:

DSC07359.JPG DSC07360.JPG DSC07366.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    whsbuss and Georgiagunguy like this.
  8. Zero1911

Zero1911

I have been doing this as well. Getting lots of exercise walking the 100 feet back to the car to load 5 and then walk the hundred feet back to the 7 yard line to slowly shoot 5. Ammo is expensive now.
    Before ammo was expensive I shot a couple thousand rounds through my G48 using the oem mag catch and mostly shield arms 15 rounders. Zero issues during the first few thousand rounds. When will the oem mag catch start having issues with the metal mags?

9. Noponer

Noponer

You apparently have not been following this thread. Your OEM catch is already gone! :crying:

What the heck is holding your mags in the gun? :dunno:

Zero1911 likes this.
  10. Zero1911

Zero1911

LOL
    In addition, this is my carry piece. I have 15 different types of ammo and thousands of rounds through this Glock 48/OEM Mag Catch/Shield Arms Mag setup and I can’t make her fail. It’s a Glock. Not much to it.
    The OEM 10 round mags do click in to the kydex mag pouch where as the shield arms fit tight but do not click in.

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

LOL...!

This is one lucky guy man. I am blown away that he went "several thousand rounds," with the SA steel mag, and OEM catch!

We're pretty much 'done' testing the SA steel catch. All is well at this point, so 'probably done' looks like.

Be safe!

***EDITED TO SAY***
    If folks want the steel catch, then sign up on SA web site, and request email notification when they are released...

Adios for me on it all. (I hope).

CanyonMan
    :horse:

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

We have been testing all this mess for months and months, Plus. I am NOT 'disbelieving you' amigo, but you are one lucky dude man... Even the SA aluminum catches (some of them, not all) have cratered way before that high of a round count. Some have worked fine! :dunno: If you are getting thousands of rounds through the SA mags and the OEM catch, good for you. I don't get it, but then, nothing much surprises me with it all any more.

***EDIT NOTE***
    We're done testing, and are using the SA "steel" catch. If you decide you want one, sign up for email notifications on their web site! ;)

Continued good luck to ya!

Adios.

CM

13. Blaker55

Blaker55

H
    Hey Canyon Man, I called Shield Arms and they are not ready to release these to the public yet. They said to keep checking back to thier website or check in on the social media to see when these are released. I do not Facebook or Twitter or any of that other nonsense, so it just leaves me to check in to thier website once a week or so. But please, if you know when they release the steel mag releases to the general public, put out the word on this forum so’s I can be alerted to get one. Thank you for all your input on the Shield products.

14. Zero1911

Zero1911

I’m new here and maybe I should read this whole thread but who’s the we in “we have been testing” ?
    I mostly carry 1911’s but I’ve run stock Glocks for decades as well and have never heard of a mag catch until viewing YouTube videos related to the G48 Shield Arms mags. Now I’m thinking I should remedy something because, although lucky till now, I really prefer carrying the G48 above all else.
    How long does an oem mag catch last when running oem mags.
    Thanks

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Your most welcome. I don't know that my 'input' has been all that helpful, but thank you anyway.

I do not 'social media' either, so I understand. My answer is going to sound a bit disappointing perhaps, but as I have been saying, "be Patient." I 'do know,' that 'some' that have called them and really had major issues with "their aluminum catches," and received steel ones. So, if they are not responding to you, or others now in this way, it is because they are still "tweaking" these steel catches to make sure all is perfect.

I am sorry for suggesting folks call/contact them, as it seems 'now,' they are going to wait until they have everything right.

My suggestion to you and "everyone interested," is to go to their site and sign up for their updates via email, and they will keep you posted concerning whatever you request, e.g the S 15 mags, or the steel catches. They have plenty more irons in the fire there than just mags and catches, so again, sign up for email updates on releases, and be patient.

I wish I could be of greater help amigo, but frankly I'm wore out with it all, and am through testing... Wish I could input more, but this is all I got man. They'll let ya know when their ready (the steel catches). Everything is movin at a snails pace these days, so we all got to learn more patients it seems. ;)

Stay safe.

PS, I suggest using their aluminum catch until they post on site with the steel... ;)

CM

Fatboy2001 and Zero1911 like this.
  16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, your 1911 (my edc) also has a "mag catch amigo!" ;)
    If you have transitioned from 1911 to the G48, it is a great shooter to be sure. I like it a great deal, just don't like 9mm.

You ask, "How long does an oem mag catch last when running oem mags."?

Pretty much forever...!

If your talking about running the all steel SA MAGS, and using your OEM plastic mag catch, the plastic OEM catch in 'my experience,' and those I know, don't last long. Not hard to understand, as steel mag rubbing on plastic catch, which holds the mag in, gets chewed up both under fire, and by mag presentations in and out of the mag well, both seating and ejecting.

Again, folks need to either be "all in," with SA steel mags, and their aluminum catch, or simply stay "all OEM."

Steel on plastic not good.
    Plastic on plastic is fine.

Although some ole boy on GT here says he has shot thousands of rounds through his SA mags with the OEM catch, I assure you, this is NOT anywhere near typical at all. A lucky dude to be sure...

Again, IF you are going to run steel mags in the G48/G43x, then use an aluminum mag catch ( i suggest SA), and be patient and wait until their all steel catch makes it entry on their web site.

I 'thought' I knew something once, but obviously, the direction 'now it seems,' is SA will post the release of their 'steel catch' on their site when they are ready to do so, and all is tweaked to their desired specs...

All I got for you amigo.
    All I got for everyone.

I retired from it all! ;)

Best of luck to you and everyone else in all this!

CM

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  17. Noponer

Noponer

FYI - here is a comment from another site - reportedly by Shield Arms - to a customer about the variations in catch problems (italics & underlining are by me for emphasis):

"Hey ****, sounds like your mag catch is wore down. We've have this happen to a handful of customers, so we started working on a steel mag catch (current spec is aluminum). The issue seems to be related to frame tolerances, as most customers aren't having trouble with the aluminum ones, and we have a fair number of customers running the stock polymer catch without issue."

Interesting. So, the frame is the cause of the different wear stories out there? Also, SA recognizes that some OEM catches work out OK. Here is a photo of this same customer's SA aluminum catch with no more than 300 rounds fired (his claim - not mine). If this is true, the polymer catches don't seem so bad. The aluminum catch is in front (you can see the shiny metal where worn down); I don't know what the rear catch is.... or how much it has been used.

SA Alum mag catch damage-2.jpg

18. Zero1911

Zero1911

That’s interesting.
    I have always kept my Glocks in their factory stock form. I wonder if this makes a difference on why my G48 has had zero issues with the Shield Arms mags?
    Either way, I’ll count my blessings and replace the oem mag catch with another oem mag catch and use the stock 10 rounder when the G48 is holstered.

CanyonMan likes this.
  19. Blaker55

Blaker55

Yessir Canyon. I have been using the aluminum catch with good success. No issues. But the steel on steel just makes too much sense, so am going that route when available.

CanyonMan likes this.
  20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You bet amigo...
    Good wisdom.

Glad all is working out for ya as is, but that steel will be much better... ;)

Conclusion: from months and months, and tons of reloads and factory rds.

SA Mags. ALL flawless, 'when used with aluminum SA catch,' (first catch was a bummer though).
    SA steel catch, SA mags. ALL flawless..
    SA mags and OEM catch... Didn't take long at all, and not to awful many mag presentations to chew up OEM catch.
    SA aluminum/steel catch, tears up the "shelf" on OEM mags. Don't take to long. YMMV...

Steel on steel/aluminum! flawless
    Steel/plastic, disaster and makes NO sense to run this way in a carry piece.

Would I trust my life to what all I have experienced over half a year in all this... YES. Absolutely!
    With metal on metal.... NO other way. NO mix and match metal mags on plastic catch, or OEM mags on metal catch...

As clear a report as I can give all you guys out there.

Good luck to ya ALL !
    Stay safe!

Retired from everything SA, all 48's/43x in the safe, and back to 45acp for me!
    Nothing wrong, and 'all has ran perfect with the steel on steel....' "Totally flawless..." I'm done. ;)

Adios amigo's

I'll close with a few pics .... ;)

CanyonMan

53420_448x299.jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

Magnet on SA steel catch:

IMG_6111.jpg

ADIOS AMIGOS...

IMG_5157.jpg

Fatboy2001, Zero1911 and buster55 like this.