The Glock 43x and 48 Thread.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Turnkey7242, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Glock 43X

51.8%
  2. Glock 48

48.2%
  1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

OK boys, (and girls)... I told y'all in my post #2252, I would be in contact with SA concerning "their" mag catches, "AGAIN." Had a great conversation with them, and for you really worried folks,

Here is your news...

IF, You can be "Patient," for about 14-20 days, "two weeks-ish," an all STEEL MAG CATCH, from SA, will be on their web site for you to buy, install, and go shoot, and NO more worries, and hopefully END this thread, "except for," all the good reports of how well things are for you now! ;)

So, There ya go, everyone who packs a G43X/G48, and SA S15 mags... NO more "catch swapping/hunting," they 'have been' working on this, as I have explained in some of my earlier post to everyone, and they have been aware of the issues, soooo you will have a STEEL mag catch in a couple weeks and a pinch, if not before. This NEW STEEL CATCH, is designed (i'm told) to 'snug up,' the mag a bit, as well as being steel. C-19, has slowed things down as we all understand, so be patient for up to a couple of weeks they tell me.

Alright, hope that made your day!
    We'll install them in our three, then throw them in the safe! ;) Thank goodness for my 1911's! ha.

BTW... Still not to be used with OEM mags. It WILL destroy them! I assure you! ;) Ask me how I know! We've seen it! Case closed for me...

Good luck and stay safe guys!

CanyonMan

2. JustaRegularGuy

JustaRegularGuy

Nice! Can’t wait for these to come out. Might have to snatch one if my Tyrant Designs mag release fails.

On that note:

After my post about my Tyrant Designs mag release starting wear after 200 rds with a S15 mag, I messaged Cory from Tyrant directly. He stated that it is normal for the finish to wear away and that I shouldn’t worry about the metal rounding off too quickly. He said and I quote
    “When it's metal on metal it will probably scratch the finish but I wouldn't be concerned.”

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yes sir... Nice!

Well, "Cory," is correct in that scratching off the finish does occur, BUT, to take off "meat," and "rounding off," is NOT acceptable for me. Amigo, that, is what was happen to us in all our testing, with the SA mag catch. Not the scratching of the finish so much, but "mushing down," the corner and it getting pretty chewed up after a tremendous amount of shooting, and mag presentations in and out of the mag well. This should NOT happen.

Looks like all that "should be," cleared up and a tad tighter mag fit as well, as was discussed on the phone with me and SA. So, should be good to go. This ain't hard. Just took these good folks a bit to find it all out, and now, stand up and admit it and fix it! ;)

Try building custom race plates for a race horse, or corrective shoes for one who's not walking/running right. I assure you, building a 'steel mag catch' is notta! They just had to see the aluminum one wasn't, lets just say, "the best," and 'make corrections.' Their steel mags are top notch flawless. Now, if this NEW all STEEL catch works like it should, those of you who pack this little 43x/48 around, should have a real sweet setup!

Stay safe man!

CanyonMan
    :horse:

happyguy likes this.
  4. rockchalk06

rockchalk06

48 build is almost complete. Awaiting a Holosun 407k to replace the ROMEOZero, but in the mean time.
    IMG_20200604_132149_085.jpg PSX_20200604_131038.jpg PSX_20200604_130659.jpg

Lindenwood, bigj480, DLL9mm and 4 others like this.
  5. Spock01

Spock01

Can you determine how much of the mag release contacts the magazine. The mag will wear off the anodizing where it contacts the relief and I'm wondering if you can tell by looking at it from the top side when the slide is off.

6. Spock01

Spock01

Release, not relief.

7. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

If you disassemble a magazine and insert it, I see no reason why you couldn't see how much engagement there is.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

CanyonMan and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  8. Spock01

Spock01

I want to know how much on yours. Mine is not but about .020 but I'm hoping that's an anomaly.

9. Vincent Black

Vincent Black Need a cup?

It seems to be catching just a bit more than the thickness of the magazine body. Which is more than enough to retain the magazine in my opinion.

However, now that the steel mag catches are going to be made, I will be getting those as soon as they come out and will be replacing my current SA mag catch with that instead.

10. Vincent Black

In fact, I plan on getting a second G48 as a spare. I am now ALL IN on this platform, no need for any other 9mm handguns. Thanks to SA, I now have a 9mm that not only fits my short fingers, but holds the same rounds as my G19 Gen 4.

I hope SA considers making 30 round stick mags for the G43x and G48, then I'd have those for my G48 like I do for my G19.

OdinIII and slym2none like this.
  11. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

so wh
    so what's the advantage a 48 has over a 43x I have two 43x looked at a 48 but just couldn't commit to it.

12. Vincent Black

Longer barrel, slightly more velocity for hollowpoint expansion. That, and I happen to like the longer barrel/slide on the G48.

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

I suspect they won't as these are not duty guns.

14. slym2none

slym2none Ain't got the Wu Flu.

Longer slide, longer sight radius, better accuracy too. ;)

I suspect they will, as everyone and their mother will start asking about them. I know I already have. :D

15. Vincent Black

I certainly wouldn't put it past them, in fact, one of the gun channels (Can't remember which one) had a youtube video where he said that they are working on other magazines for other guns...here's hoping they make a flush fit 18-20 round mag for the G19 as I still have mine and wouldn't mind that one bit!

[​IMG]

OdinIII likes this.
  16. slym2none

slym2none Ain't got the Wu Flu.

Is there any more room in a G19 mag? I mean, the 43X/48 has a single-stack mag with space to find and use, as SA did.

17. Vincent Black

An all metal mag for the 19 vs steel wrapped in polymer will surely have more room to work with. ;)

18. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

Very nice. Who milled the for the RMR and the front of the slide?

I suspect not, I wonder exactly how the rounds stack. You could gain some capacity in the G23/32.

slym2none likes this.
  19. Vincent Black

Keep in mind that the G43x/G48 mags only had 10 rounds because that's all Glock could fit in a magazine of that size because it was steel lined wrapped in polymer.

Shield Arms was able to get another five rounds into an all metal magazine with the same dimensions.

20. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

Right, but that's because of the particular way the rounds stacked in the 48/43x. Going wider only works to a certain extent, there is an optimal/max width. It seems to me that the G19 is likely already stacking the 9mm rounds in the most efficient way with the smallest gaps possible between rounds. You could maybe bump the G23/G32 up to G19 capacity though.