GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
loves guns!
1,377 Posts
As a handloader who reloads 9x18 Mak ammunition (among many other calibers), I find this caliber is more akin to a very warm .380 than a very light 9x19mm. To me, the small ballistic increase isn't worth the expense of the G42 conversion barrel plus the hassle of obtaining reliable performance. YMMV.

·
Registered
30,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Since a 9x19 barrel for the G42 is out of the question, any increase above the bullet weight and velocity of the .380 round is (for me) worth the conversion.

Besides, another gun chambered for the 9x18 round is worth investigating.

Although I have about twenty five 9x18 chambered guns, I haven't had much interest in 9x18 in years.
And I haven't had a lot of interest in the G42.
This 9x18 conversion has renewed my interest in the 9x18 round and the G42. :)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Tested the Makarov XTP and Critical Defense

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-42-vs-43-ballistic-test-9x17-vs-9x18-vs-9x19.1664990/

The XTP feeds without issue in my polished "stock" Mak barrel (my Glockified one hasn't come yet).

The Critical Defense doesn't feed well... but it's due to the extractor hanging up on the wide lip at the base of the cartridge. If I manually help the extractor swing out after a round is hung up, then it will feed it into the chamber. I have a spare extractor that I might dremel a larger gap to basically just shoot this one bullet.

The XTP expands too much and penetrates too little. The Mak Critical Defense is okay, but I don't see much improvement over the 380 XTP.

The 380 and Mak are very, very similar overall ballistically. Both fall short of the 9x19.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tested the Makarov XTP and Critical Defense

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-42-vs-43-ballistic-test-9x17-vs-9x18-vs-9x19.1664990/

The XTP feeds without issue in my polished "stock" Mak barrel (my Glockified one hasn't come yet).

The Critical Defense doesn't feed well... but it's due to the extractor hanging up on the wide lip at the base of the cartridge. If I manually help the extractor swing out after a round is hung up, then it will feed it into the chamber. I have a spare extractor that I might dremel a larger gap to basically just shoot this one bullet.

The XTP expands too much and penetrates too little. The Mak Critical Defense is okay, but I don't see much improvement over the 380 XTP.

The 380 and Mak are very, very similar overall ballistically. Both fall short of the 9x19.
Thank you for testing the XTP out. That's interesting on your assessment as to why the Critical Defense is hanging up. I didn't think about that...

·
Registered
281 Posts
So how is the base of the Critical Defense wider than Underwood mak xtp? I'm confused. I thought the base and lip was the same since they are both 9x18. Can you elaborate more on that possibly for my own education? How many of the Underwood mak xtp rounds did you run through the gun without any feeding issues since you said it fed fine, and how did you load a round into the chamber? Sling shot or releasing a locked back slide. I'm just curious for my own benefit. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to this forum but wanted to post this.I have my glock 42 9x18 running like a champ with my underwood xtp loads(thank rowdy and m2). I have a new question for you guys though. I hand load the 9x18 as well for my pm. Do you guys know of any reason I couldn't up the loads for my new little locked breech glock? Any recommendations where to start? Currently I use a 95 grain rn over 5 grains of accurate #5.

·
loves guns!
1,377 Posts
I'm new to this forum but wanted to post this.I have my glock 42 9x18 running like a champ with my underwood xtp loads(thank rowdy and m2). I have a new question for you guys though. I hand load the 9x18 as well for my pm. Do you guys know of any reason I couldn't up the loads for my new little locked breech glock? Any recommendations where to start? Currently I use a 95 grain rn over 5 grains of accurate #5.
I just happen to have a somewhat dated Accurate reloader's guide (2003). For the .380 ACP, it shows a max load of 4.8 grs. of #5 for a 90 gr. Hornady XTP bullet and max load of 4.9 grs. of #5 for a 100 gr. Hornady FMJ. For the 9mm Mak, my Lyman handbook shows a max of 5.0 grs. #5 for a 95 gr. FMJ bullet. If you want to venture above those figures, do so at your own risk.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I dont handload. Sorry. Glad to hear you had success with your conversion too. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just happen to have a somewhat dated Accurate reloader's guide (2003). For the .380 ACP, it shows a max load of 4.8 grs. of #5 for a 90 gr. Hornady XTP bullet and max load of 4.9 grs. of #5 for a 100 gr. Hornady FMJ. For the 9mm Mak, my Lyman handbook shows a max of 5.0 grs. #5 for a 95 gr. FMJ bullet. If you want to venture above those figures, do so at your own risk.
I know it makes for some good shooting Ammo in my pm. I've never seen any signs of over pressure with them. I guess I was just wondering out loud if there were some limits to the load data being most 9x18 was used in a straight blowback pistol. Could a delayed blow back pistol in theory get pushed a little harder? I know reloading is all at your own risk and I don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
30,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I can't give you any advice, other than stick with published loads (that's what I do).

Sometimes the loads appear to be a little weak, but I'm too chicken to push the limits. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't give you any advice, other than stick with published loads (that's what I do).

Sometimes the loads appear to be a little weak, but I'm too chicken to push the limits. :)
I got ya. I appreciate the feedback. That load I listed before was not weak at all out of my pm. I'm thinking about picking up a chronograph and going from there. Berrys states for whatever reason not to push them past 1250. Thanks again for all the help with this project. For anyone curious for another way to do this. I used a dremel felt polishing tip and the white diamond metal polishing compound. I'm really happy with the results.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I
I got ya. I appreciate the feedback. That load I listed before was not weak at all out of my pm. I'm thinking about picking up a chronograph and going from there. Berrys states for whatever reason not to push them past 1250. Thanks again for all the help with this project. For anyone curious for another way to do this. I used a dremel felt polishing tip and the white diamond metal polishing compound. I'm really happy with the results.
Looks great! Nice work. I really need to invest in a Dremel :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2003 lee loading book says the max for #5 with the 95 grain bullet is 5.6. I will probably just start with my 5 and work up slowly from there. I'm not trying to make a 380 magnum I just want to get the most out of the 9x18. At the max load it puts the pressure at 19400 cup. A lot of American manufacturers seem to down load 9x18. From some of the reading I have done a pm can handle up to 24000 psi. One of the main limiting factors is the straight blowback design.While I wouldn't want to do that with my favorite Mak.This design gives me reason to wonder. I think I'm going to give lone wolf a call. I don't want to do anything dangerous but if careful I think there is some room to move in that envelope. I can already see case capacity being another limiting factor. I wish there was more consistent data on the 9x18.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I have been working on finding a powder that will allow me to replicate the UW "+P" 380 loadings. Basically, looking to be able to approach that 1200fps range with a 90gr jacketed/solid bullet out of my G42. Accurate #5 didn't show a lot of promise in this application. We tried it as it looked like a dead ringer for the powder UW was using in their "+P" 90gr Lehigh XP loading, it clearly isn't it. This pursuit is very edgy work as in my OEM barrel, the factory UW "+P" loading mildly smiles every single case, very near the edge that. The fact that the smiles are extremely consistent is a testament to Underwood's loading techniques and practices. When I am doing these kinds of workups, smiles usually show up on one or two of a flight of 5 cases, that is how inconsistent amateur loads tend to be, hence less margin for error.

Loading above book (by definition above SAAMI maximum pressure) is not something to be taken lightly and never should be done without decades of loading experience. You really have to understand the whole picture of what is going on inside the chamber at ignition to accomplish above book load workups safely. It is painstaking work with the primitive tools the amateur hobbyist have at our disposal.

Myself, crockett, Timothy Courtney, AP2020 and a few others have all been contributing to a thread over in the Reloading Section where we our publishing results of this pursuit. The results there won't give you an answer for a "+P" Mak load as the case volume and geometry is different, as is the projectile, but maybe it will help in narrowing the candidate powders. Right now I am pretty sure I can consistently reproduce the UW "+P" loading using Unique. Unfortunately the case is so full it will make producing the load in volume impractical, so I am still testing.

Once I get my UW 380 "+P" simulator load done for my 380's, I may take a crack at running up some Mak loads, although as it stands right now, it looks like the Mak XTP bullet Hornaday offers is a little too expanding to offer much benefit from higher velocities.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been working on finding a powder that will allow me to replicate the UW "+P" 380 loadings. Basically, looking to be able to approach that 1200fps range with a 90gr jacketed/solid bullet out of my G42. Accurate #5 didn't show a lot of promise in this application. We tried it as it looked like a dead ringer for the powder UW was using in their "+P" 90gr Lehigh XP loading, it clearly isn't it. This pursuit is very edgy work as in my OEM barrel, the factory UW "+P" loading mildly smiles every single case, very near the edge that. The fact that the smiles are extremely consistent is a testament to Underwood's loading techniques and practices. When I am doing these kinds of workups, smiles usually show up on one or two of a flight of 5 cases, that is how inconsistent amateur loads tend to be, hence less margin for error.

Loading above book (by definition above SAAMI maximum pressure) is not something to be taken lightly and never should be done without decades of loading experience. You really have to understand the whole picture of what is going on inside the chamber at ignition to accomplish above book load workups safely. It is painstaking work with the primitive tools the amateur hobbyist has at our disposal.

Myself, crockett, Timothy Courtney, AP2020 and a few others have all been contributing to a thread over in the Reloading Section where we our publishing results of this pursuit. The results there won't give you an answer for a "+P" Mak load as the case volume and geometry is different, as is the projectile, but maybe it will help in narrowing the candidate powders. Right now I am pretty sure I can consistently reproduce the UW "+P" loading using Unique. Unfortunately the case is so full it will make producing the load in volume impractical, so I am still testing.

Once I get my UW 380 "+P" simulator load done for my 380's, I may take a crack at running up some Mak loads, although as it stands right now, it looks like the Mak XTP bullet Hornaday offers is a little too expanding to offer much benefit from higher velocities.

Good luck.
Thank you for the very thorough and thoughtful reply. First I don't want to go above the max listed in the lee book. I'm in the same camp that likes pushing an fmj hard rather than trying to get an xtp to be effective. I will definitely be following your thread in the reloading section. I have shot the underwood 9x18 +p in my pm and haven't seen any signs of overpreasure. I do not want to damage me or my weapon. There just isn't a lot of reliable load data on the 9x18. It all feels a little squishy especially at the higher end. Most of the loadings seem to be target grade Ammo. Thanks again for the reply. *edit* I enjoyed reading your methodology about the +p realm over in the reloading thread and hope you get a chance to work with the 9x18.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You do know that there is something called a Glock 43, don't you? ;)

121 - 140 of 150 Posts