The Future of Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Yankee2718, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

Glock is a very successful company. They will continue to be successful, but I do think they are feeling some heat from the competition. The new G41 coming with all the back strap options, including the beavertail indicates to me that Glock is following on some cues from the competition.

The G42 seems to be about 4 years late to me as most companies are now making 9mm pistols the same size as the G42. I do think that the G42 will sell well and leave many people asking for 9/40 versions of the gun. The gun will sell though because it is after all, a Glock.

Perhaps this is a sign that Glock is developing their product. Not adding or removing finger grooves, add a rail and change a recoil system and call it new. In the past few years Glock has introduced some guns that people have been asking for.

Who thinks Glock will expand their single stack line and add G19/26 sized single stacks in 9mm and maybe 40?

2. 4-Fun

4-Fun

If single stack means holding less than 9 + 1, I think Glock should leave that to other manufacturers. And I think they may.

One of Glock's strengths is the ability to interchange mags. The G 26 with a backup 19 or 17 mag is a formabale fighting pistol.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

3. aboyle55

aboyle55

My question is, who takes over when Gaston passes?

4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Other than cost, why would you want a standard capacity Glock when there are far finer firearms available? Glock made it's place in the market with inexpensive hi-cap guns and supplying LEO's nationwide. They should stick with their original game plan instead of spreading themselves so thin.

5. Petrie

Petrie

I don't think glock will make a 9mm/40 single stack pistol. The g42 is too big to compete with the true pocket 380s like the p3at, lcp. So right out of the gate the g42 is up against the shield, pm9, etc just on size comparison.
    If Glock made a g42 size 9mm they would kill the future sales of the g42. I think Glock made a decision that a handgun that size should be a 380. About the only reason anyone is going to buy a 380 that size is because it's a glock. With the cost and availablity of 380 most people arent interested in a a380 unless it's a classic ppk or a true pocket gun.

To me it would be great if glock sold so many of the g42s that 380 became a more popular round and was thus cheaper and more available.

6. McDougall

McDougall

Adapt or survive. As much as I love Glock, love them, their current products will not be relevant forever. One day, as anything will be, Glocks will be collectors items. I will be one big collector.

7. HuntRocketMan

HuntRocketMan

When all the Gimmicky little guns go the way of the Riverboat Gambler,
    there will always be a demand for a duty/combat sized, high cap, semi auto
    that's affordable to the common man.
    Glock is just doing what every company does,
    when they add beaver tails, grips etc., even a new model here & there,
    if it sells a few more of their pistols than if they didn't do anything,
    it is completely worth their time & trouble.

8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Have to say I agree with this. Glock will always have their serious, wide scale competition (Sig-Sauer, HK, Beretta for military contracts, Int'l police forces) and will have to (and is attempting to) compete on the Amer market with S&W as far as PDs. But as far as top-tier full-size worldwide competition- I can't see Ruger, Springfield, Kahr, Kel-Tec, etc really cutting into their product IN THE LONG RUN (ex: the Brit contract for 25k Gen4 17s in 2012). It's like arguing that DPMS or Ruger ARs will seriously impact the sales/production of Colt.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree if we knew what will happen when Mr. Glock is gone, that would be a big clue as to the future direction of the company. To me, another big part of the picture would be some fairly detailed producton and sales information (which we know we probably will never know.) I would enjoy knowing how many G17s are made and how many G39s are made. And I would like to know how many pistols are sold to individuals and how many are sold to agencies/organizations/the military. If we knew that, we might have a better idea of where the money is.

I could argue that Glock has essentially two different frames, one for 9mm, 40, etc. and one for .45 and 10mm. Then there is the Glock 36 and now the Glock 42. What is next is certainly a good question. I could also argue that the Glock 42 is the first gun designed by Glock that does not seem likely to be sold in any numbers to government entities.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Even if they introduce a 9mm G42 next year, the .380 will still sell, because there are countries (many) who do not allow non-military to own 'military' calibers. Same reason Glock already makes the Glock 25 and 28.

11. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Glock has offered changable back straps with their Gen4 model since it's release. The beavertail backstraps with their Gen4 are a little newer butn it has absolutely nothing to do with the G41 specifically as you suggest.

Glock has also changed a few things when they "developed" the Gen4 models. They changed the grip texture, recoil spring assemblies, trigger bar, and the SF frames with back changable straps. That is called new, what Glock did with those changes was huge because they never change things.

There is not much to "develope" on the Glock pistols. Their simple design has worked great from day one, why would they change anything else, there is no need to mess with the Glock design.

If anything, the competition has been trying to follow Glock with everybody now making a polymer pistol. Glock doesn't need to follow, there have been leading the way for 20 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

Next year or so, after the G42 sales have run their course, Glock will bring out a slightly larger Three-pin 9X19mm version... the same width but a few ounces heaver and maybe a g26 length Bbl.

They will sell a Kazillion (that's a Thousand-Million butt-loads) of'em. Don't see a .40 in that frame size though, Yikes!

They will continue to bring the catalog up to Gen4 spec., hopefully even the outstanding but often maligned G36.

When the Laws require every Citizen to be armed? They will be askin' Nanny Pelosi's and Fairy Reid's grand-spawn, ...

"...which Glock do you want?"

Nutter

13. AgentM79

AgentM79

Glock knows it's market and it's customers. Their new .380 is a shootable back-up gun. It's not an undersized pocket pistol that's only good out to 21 feet. It has Glock's safe action trigger, Glock's sights, and all of Glock's safety features. It will handle all .380 ammo without issue, and will presumably have a long service life like all other Glock pistols. Competing pistols from Kel-Tec and Ruger aren't nearly as shootable, and don't have handling characteristics like Glock service-sized weapons.

I don't see the G42 as an evolutionary dead-end. Instead, it's a good idea. If you turn this gun into a 9mm, it will have heavy recoil, decreased accuracy, and decreased durability relative to other Glock pistol designs. Maybe they'll build it, maybe they wont. But, if I ever decide to migrate away from my 2" .38, I'll go Glock 42 as my new off-duty/BUG.

14. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

I know they offer the back straps on all their models. Sure they did some more things to the gen 4's than what I listed. I'm clear on all that. Those are all minor changes that in my book don't constitute a new gun.

Sure, Glock started the polymer market, expanding where HK left off. But they are behind. I carry a 22 on duty everyday and until 7 months ago you couldn't tell me that a different gun was better. I drank the kook aid so to speak.

Hands down the M&P offers more than the Glock does. I can't fathom why Glock has not made their guns more ambidextrous. The M&P to me is a more functional weapon. With all of the early kinks worked out I see the M&P as a superior combat pistol to the Glock in nearly every way. One handed operation is easier, weak hand operation is easier, fitting the pistol to your hand is easier. Glock throws some back straps in that only change the trigger reach and everyone throws a party. The M&P inserts actually change the size of the grip. The ambidextrous slide release is a heck of a lot easier to use than using your belt to release the slide on a one handed reload, not to mention a lot faster. The slide serrations on the M&P are infinitely more positive than the Glock. Gloved operation goes hands down to the M&P. The Glock grip just feels awkward with gloves on.

I could go on, but I won't. The Glock is a Great pistol. It USED to be one of, if not, the most reliable pistol on the market. That is no longer true. Glock has sat on its laurels for a while. Now that S&W has worked the M&P out they are aggressively marketing the pistol just like Glock did. Glock has fallen behind. Another three years of heavy marketing by S&W and the police sales field will be close to even. S&W even has a blue line program now selling M&Ps for around 400.

Look at the success of the M&P shield or the XDs (just announced a 4 inch version). If Glock made a single stack 9mm that was .9 inches thick and the same size as a G19 with a mag capacity of 8+1 (I'm confident they could figure out how to get 9 or 10 in there) those guns would sell like hot cakes.

15. Grouse870

Grouse870

Take this for what its worth but i have to carry an m&p for the simple fact that we got them cheaper than glocks. The first thing that was brought up was trigger sucks even the "upgraded" pro trigger but they marketed themselves better to us than glock. Glock wouldn't come close in price. Don't get me wrong the m&p is a good gun but i'd rather carry a glock. Glock maybe needs to readopt its aggressive marketing to LE (i don't know the exact details of our deal so i could be wrong)

16. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

I understand what you are saying about the M&P trigger. You don't like the somewhat gritty pre travel. I don't know when you got yours, but mine is a 06/13 model and the break is super crisp and clean with zero over travel. Not something I can say about my Glocks. The reset on my M&P is also positive, audible and tactile. However, with the force of force training that I've done I can't say I've ever even noticed the trigger pull during that kind of training. I think the gritty pre travel is of no consequence and not even worth talking about when you discuss a pistol designed for combat.

You're right though. Glock isn't marketing as heavily as they used to. My agency recently took delivery of Gen4 27's and had to go through a distributor and actually pay for them. No one for one swap with Glock, even though we moved from Gen 2.5 27's.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  17. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Some of my SWAT team buddies were down south at a SWAT training get together/seminar type event. They said that most of the other team members were carrying Glocks in .45, and were wondering why our guys weren't.

This seems to be an indication as to where Glock is headed.

18. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

What I like about the G36

19. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

Don't forget that down here in the south the "bigger is better" mentality reigns. It's the magic bullet theory. Look at the taser. Som many officers rely on the taser and completely forget about other use of force options. I take what SWAT says with a grain of salt. Most of those guys, not all, but most, are so egotistical and close minded to think or accept any different point of view.

20. 4949shooter

4949shooter

This is true of some of them, and could very well be the case with whomever my buddies spoke with!

Other than that, it is still good to see Glock pistols, and especially .45 ACP Glock pistols, appreciated by SWAT personnel.

There is also more to the story which I won't put on an open forum.