The Future Of .40 Cal ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ChrisD46, Jul 28, 2019.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

If you had no .40 cal Glocks today in your home inventory - would you still buy one ? ... Also your opinion on the availability and cost of .40 cal ammo in the future ? ... Will the price of .40 cal ammo increase or stay about the same ? Do you perceive less availability of .40 cal ammo or a drop in .40 cal ammo production by the big ammo manufacturers or will it stay about the same ?

Boot Stomper likes this.
  2. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

.40 cal = no thanks. Not dead but dying a slow death. FBI sets the caliber trends in LE and they ditched the .40 Cal with over 70% of LE now exclusively using 9mm.

As for the civilian market, it's still a dying breed even though people still shoot it. Mainly because they can pick up a .40cal cheap only to realize they should of purchased a 9mm. .45acp has American heritage roots and not going anywhere and the 9mm is better shooting and a standard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

.40 will be around for a long long time. It’s actually a great option to have during ammo shortages, in addition to being highly effective.

If you want .40, get one. We’re one big public failure of 9mm away from .40 being all the rage again.

4. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

I have a G22 and a large supply of SD rounds. The future of my .40 is secure.

The FBI ditched the .40 and 10mm because young urban lawyer FBI recruits that have never touched a gun can not shoot it to standards. The standard was lowered.

MacDonald, Will-21, Bullman and 31 others like this.
  5. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

This was the popular opinion of the 10mm auto 15 years ago and it’s currently making a substantial come back. 40 s&w isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The whole 70% of LE issuing 9mm thing, Tennessee must have missed that memo.

The gap between 40 and 9 is the same as it’s always been. The same projectile advancements that have benefitted a 9mm have equally benefited the 40.

If you want more horsepower than a 9mm, more rounds than a 45, and better availability than a 357 sig, go get yourself a 40. Plus you can put conversion barrels in it to shoot 357 sig And or 9mm.

6. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

There are .40 cal, 10mm, and 45 GAP fanboys just like I am with 9mm and 45acp. It's certainly not as common outside of LE even though most agencies (not all) have made the switch including FBI. Will it die, no. Is it dying, yes. By all means grab all the 40cal you can and have fun, statistically it's not what LE wanted it to be.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  7. TeaDub

TeaDub

If you have an interest in the caliber, pick up one or even a couple. The ammo availability is pretty well set for several decades. At least.

The pricing for all calibers has not been so low in a long time. The differences between 9 and 40 price wise are shrinking. As to ammo shortages? If you don't have enough ammo on hand to last at least a year of your regular usage amounts, you are doing it wrong. Shortages don't mean much if you have planned ahead.

I like the caliber so yea, I'd pick one up if I didn't have one.

tuica, MacDonald and Jisbell40 like this.
  8. Pistol Pap

Pistol Pap

40 is a good round. Most people are band wagoners and change they’re mind every time a new ballistics article comes out. I have 2 pistols is 40 and think they are great. My only issue was at the time the ammo was expensive and cost was on par with 45. So don’t shoot them much but I’d all I had was a 40 I would feel quite comfortable for any scenario

9. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

It's a very good caliber, it's kind sad how it has fallen out of favor with some because it does everything very well. I predict there will be another push towards the .40 down the road, when I don't know, but I think it will happen.

10. banger

banger

Soooo.... Exactly do you think happened to those 100's of thousands of .40 caliber pistols that were produced before the world became so enlightened.

At one point, the Glock 22 was the single most popular Police pistol in America.

Quality pistols produced by Glock, Sig, Smith and Wesson, Browning, HK and god know how many others.

Do you really think they "went away".

These pistols, and the ammunition will be available for decades to come.

Heck, you can still find .45 GAP... and that dog was stillborn.

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Production of .40 ammunition & guns will continue to follow trending demand. Unsurprising.

The .40 will continue to be seen in LE use, similarly to how 9mm continued to be seen in-service when the .40 was introduced and gained some dominance.

The main advantages to 9mm from an LE perspective are that it's an easier round to train general users on; it's a bit less costly; and it doesn't accelerate wear & tear on guns as much as the .40 (and .357).

From an individual owner perspective, the 9mm will naturally remain popular for the less experienced and marginally skilled and/or infrequent shooters because it's easier to shoot.

For the private owners who like to squeeze every possible round of capacity into their guns, they'll continue to find favor in the 9mm.

The usual ebb & flow of service handgun calibers and ammunition used for defensive roles.

JohnnyE, Teecher45, MacDonald and 5 others like this.
  12. pblanc

pblanc

What is the future of .40 S&W?

People who own .40 pistols will continue to own them.
    People who shoot .40 will continue to do so and will buy .40 ammunition.
    Ammunition manufacturers will continue to make .40 ammo so long as people buy it.

Will the price go up or down? Who knows. Currently, .40 S&W ammunition is the cheapest common, commercially-made caliber that is a reasonable option for handgun self-defense. Cheaper than 380 Auto, 45 ACP, 10 mm, 357 SIG, 357 Magnum, or 38 Special.

JohnnyE, tuica, MacDonald and 2 others like this.
  13. JMS

JMS 02

I sell cases of 1000 rounds for $200 and it’s still a slow seller.

Teecher45, mbar9607 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  14. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

I bought a BNIB Shield 40 cal for under $250. 3 mags, Kydex IWB holster, 50 rds JHP. Yep its different. Had them before and will not hesitate to have them again! Have 9mm too, and shoot both close to same.
    I have been looking at Sig 320s in 40cal lately. Refurbished(upgraded safety) for $359 vs $649 for a 9mm. Cmon guys...9mm isnt that great! Get a lot of 40cal for $300 difference. Warranty of Refurbished is applied as new. Im going to find one soon! Its not going away yet.
    1911's are still popular over !00 years old! Too many manufactored models to list. Mine is a range toy that I still carry on occasion.(RIA 1911A, in basic Govt trim. Shoots Ball and JHP) Good Luck. Scoop up those G22s, or Sigs, or S&Ws!

Glockeeper likes this.
  15. fastbolt

fastbolt

I imagine that like with LE/Gov sales, these things can fluctuate from time to time in the commercial market.

For example, in the last state contract an agency could buy any amount of 1000rd cases of 9 or .40 HST or Gold Dot, and the prices varied more by the brand chosen off the contract than by the caliber.

Fed P9HST2 is $249.50/case, but P40HST1 is only $229.80/case, so the case of .40 HST costs $19.70 less than the case of 9 HST.

Speer CCI-53619 (9mm) is $284.80/case, but CCI-53692 (.40) is $339.80/case, so the case of .40 GDHP costs $50 more per case than the 9 GDHP.

Go figure, right?

-JCN-, Jisbell40 and AdamRodgers like this.
  16. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I've seen quite a people shot with a variety of calibers over the past three decades. Still, it's admittedly a relatively small sampling and decidedly not a study, but no handgun caliber I've run across makes better holes in people than .40.
    For the 10mm fans, I've never seen anyone shot with one so you can keep your chin up here.:cowboy:
    And shot placement is still the ultimate, followed closely by multiple rounds on target.:dancing:

TexFarm, rfd339, JDL47 and 4 others like this.
  17. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

Yes it makes a nice wound cavity. I'd say IMO 9mm is more controllable, more rounds in magazine, cheaper to practice with, and negligible difference in soft tissue cavitation compared to 9mm. 40 cal was designed IMO to be a solution to a non existent problem. Today's 9mm HP does not over penetrate and are devastating. In LE or personal defense, multiple well placed shots yield the same result.

Teecher45 and D-GLOCK17 like this.
  18. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

Sometimes I can't decide whether to carry my Glock 19 or 23.
    Unlike most individual LE officers I get to choose, not stuck with one or the other.
    More bullets or bigger holes, which is more comforting, today. (Got a coin?) ;)
    IMO 40 is going to be around long time.

VIS07, Teecher45, glock1097 and 2 others like this.
  19. amd65

amd65

I think the cheap police surplus 40’s may lead to a resurgence of the caliber among civilians...like me.
    I had a G23 years ago, but I have always been a 9mm guy, since before there was a 10mm. So, I was happy with my G17 and G26, and have no problem relying on the 9mm for self defense.
    But I couldn’t resist the cheap surplus pistols, and bought a G22 Gen4. What a great shooter!
    Really a great all around cartridge. Be a great woods cartridge, too. I don’t know if it’s the Gen4 recoil spring, but I thought recoil was negligeable.
    As far as capacity, I’m not worried about 17rds vs 15rds. I feel pretty well armed with a six shot 357mag, and I carried the 13 shot Browning HiPower for a couple decades.
    I got this G22 with the idea of getting a conversion barrel, but having shot it in 40S&W, I’m pretty happy with the caliber, and have been using it for my home defense pistol, with 180gn HST.

Teecher45, VIS07, -JCN- and 5 others like this.
  20. Gokyo

Gokyo

The main reason I love 10mm is that it is inherently very accurate. I am not sure why. I am more accurate when shooting 10mm than I am with any other centerfire pistol.

Turns out 45 ACP is also very accurate.

9mm does not seem to be as accurate. Again I am not sure why.

Turns out (for me) that 40 S&W is nearly as accurate as 10mm without out as much recoil.

I suspect it is something about the heavier bullets and bullet shape that enhances accuracy.

So for me.
    Glock 19 vs 23 I would pick the 23
    Glock 17 vs 22 I would pick the 22
    Glock 34 vs 35 I would pick the 35
    etc.

However it must be noted...

I only use after market barrel in my Glocks in 40 S&W. I find that an aftermarket barrel reduce brass bulging and this makes reloading way easier. I think the Glock chamber is a bit loose and unsupported.

Longbow, Boot Stomper and gatorboy like this.