Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you the seen the documentary now available on Netflix titled The Force that is about the Oakland PD in California that was produced in 2017? If so, what are your thoughts about what was shown and how it was presented? Would you say both sides of the story were presented fairly?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6159518/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I've never served in law enforcement, so I didn't know anything about this department nor why it's under some kind of federal oversight prior to watching the documentary. Can anyone shed some light on why a LE agency would fall under federal oversight and what measures must be taken to end such oversight?

P.S. I was glad to finally see that Fallen, another documentary that I posted about here quite some time ago, was finally produced and is also available on Netflix.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
OPD is a wild west show. I've had quite a few friends that worked there. One of them was involved in 6 shootings in 13 years. The last Federal oversight that I knew about was to do with the ratio of black arrests/shootings/other incidents. It's a typical Bay Area thing. Oakland was a combat zone and now with all the restrictions place on OPD from the city officials it's not someplace I'd want to work. Oakland as always been a toilet with the exception of the area in the Oakland hills. If you've been watching the news lately the Oakland Mayor have tipped off the illegal citizens that ICE is coming to do their thing. The Mayor needs to be arrested for her silliness.

Reactions: Newcop761

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm from Oakland but many years ago. Saw the documentary months ago and felt horrible for the chief...unexpected ending. Hated the mayor.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Most seasoned OPD Officers left and lateraled out in droves, mainly due to the Federal oversight, which according to the several my Agency hired, made even the most basic of law enforcement tasks nearly impossible to complete. Last I heard, they can't even fill an academy class for new hires. It's a black hole agency of the Bay Area.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Hell they treat a Taser deployment like an OIS.

Can you imagine cutting paper every time you draw your pistol. In Oakland?!

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Saw it last night! Truly a sad situation!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Many depts now consider a gun "pointing" a reportable use of force. That idea was a huge focal point of Obama's Justice Dept reforms that we used to take over many depts during his office.
This is my biggest contention with the DOJ and the Ohio organizing collaborative. What a joke. Every felony stop now gets a use of force. So on paper a proactive officer may have 80-100 uses of force in only a few months. Do you think the media or the liberals care? Do you think they’ll differentiate between a legitimate take down or Taser deployment and 70 uses of force involving “threat of pointed lethal/less lethal”? No. Just fodder for terrible bosses and an even worse media.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
This is my biggest contention with the DOJ and the Ohio organizing collaborative. What a joke. Every felony stop now gets a use of force. So on paper a proactive officer may have 80-100 uses of force in only a few months. Do you think the media or the liberals care? Do you think they’ll differentiate between a legitimate take down or Taser deployment and 70 uses of force involving “threat of pointed lethal/less lethal”? No. Just fodder for terrible bosses and an even worse media.

That'll put the brakes on a proactive copper! That would be good cause to drive good coppers out of that department.

Reactions: Ohio Cop
1 - 9 of 9 Posts