close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The essentials???

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I have only shot one match since joining the GSSF and my father recently joined so we could enjoy the sport together. He asked me what we should bring with us, the essentials, and I had some ideas but I thought I would refer back to the people I know that have done this longer. Outside of the obvious (guns, mags, eye and ear protection, and ammo) what else do you guys carry with you to make your experience better???? I carried rain gear and some energy bars to my 1st match but still have no idea what would be considered essential. Thanks in advance. :)

2. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Sun Screen, towels, hats, water, extra ammo, money

3. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Large bills to slip the range officers. :whistling:

4. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl:

5. hagan34

hagan34

Ky in oct I'd take cloths for just about anything weather wise.... Could be in the 40's that morning and pushing 80 by afternoon.

My next match I'll plan on having some sort of seat,

6. mike g35

mike g35

Yeh thats what I was thinking. In Beckley I was standing all day but I was also pasting targets pretty much all day too. Except for when I was loading mags. Danny showed me some mag pouches that seemed like a good idea especially if you are shooting different calibers or different loads.

7. SARDG

SARDG

Insect repellent.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

9. mike g35

mike g35

Sorry guys its been a long day. Mike g35 is taking a break from the GSSF forum for a while. I've had a hard day on here, so bad that I actually posted the same thread twice:embarassed:. I'm not angry or anything but I need to pull my head together for a while. Thanks for the heads up Ron. Sorry and see ya later GSSF forum.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I didn't post that to bust your chops, no need to "take a break". Just showing you what a good memory I have. :rofl:

Enjoy the forum Mike.

11. mike g35

mike g35

Its all good Ron, no problems here, just have alot on my mind and I'm not able to think clearly enough to post an intelligent thought. Now you know I will still be on here:supergrin: except I may take to reading more than posting. After all I am new and I do still have alot to learn and I can do that by reading not just by posting questions (especially the same ones over and over).

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Not just eye protection, but 3 different colors in case it is cloudy, sunny, or perfect.

Ear plugs for the times you aren't wearing muffs; I notice muffs and glasses can press on the side of the head and give you a headache.

If you can keep a cooler of water, ice, and ammonia (go easy with ingredient 3) you can wet a rag and it is really cold for those hot days.

Some sort of snack bag with nuts, raisins, cranberries, etc...

13. hagan34

hagan34

I watched a local Cowboy action shoot and with them having SA Revolvers, Shotguns and lever action carbines they were all pushing "war wagons". all of them had places to store all 3 types of firearms, ammo, and a place to sit. some even had coolers made in to them. seemed like it would work great for them and easily transformed in to something useful for 3-gun. might be a bit over kill for GSSF

pretty sure bama just told you to grow a sack.... :rofl:

14. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

If his father is going depends alot on his health and age. All good info. since i have yet to go to my first GSSF shoot...thanks all...

15. mike g35

mike g35

At this point I wouldn't doubt being told anything on here.:tongueout: Easy there!!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

In my main shooting bag I keep allen wrenches, multi bit screw driver, squib rod, bushing wrench, home made Glock tool, flash light, couple small screw drivers, oil, bore snake, Glock mag loader, lot of pens from motels, sun screen, bug spray, ear plugs, hand sanatizer plus gun and mags. I keep a small parts box and large tool kit in car, a bag with enough ammo to shoot one division over with each type or caliber I'm shooting, cooler and snacks and a spare hat or two. For USPSA state level matches I'll take a cart with cooler, beach umbrella, and a chair plus my shooting bag.

17. hagan34

hagan34

never even considered taking a "GLOCK Tool" with me just goes to show you how much I still have to learn about this competitive shooting thing...

Ed would love to see some pictures of your USPSA cart, trying to get some ideas and see what kind of bases people are useing. The SASS guys/gals all had wooden carts to fit in with there period dress, but still got some ideas from them on gun placement and such.

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Mike's Dad did not have any trouble at Beckley.

But if the wait is long a chair is a good item.

Lex has food at the clubhouse.

19. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

If you carry 3 guns, 40-50 mags, 500 rounds of ammo, several bottles of water, etc... the wagon is a good idea, particularly when you have walking to do at ranges similar to the San Antoino match. It also provides a seat and allows you to forgo carrying a chair.

I usually shoot with 2 or 3 other people and we can all pile the gear on a wagon.

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Hee heee