The epidemic and change in approach re survival

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Jun 6, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

I was fortunate to realize at the beginning of January that I needed to ramp up my preps and did so. I haven't been back to Costco in 5 months. However, it was an important learning experience in the following respects:
    1. I learned that there were morons who were incapable of any thing other than panic shopping. It was fashionable for them to be alarmist.
    The treated city water never flowing to the home.
    Lysol is a "multi-surface cleaner" and says so on the label. So do other brands of products with different colors.
    There are readily available alternatives to toilet paper, paper towels, and napkins. One alternative is called "a cloth".
    2. There are plenty of "experts" seeking 15 minutes of fame with their pronouncements, including medical doctors.
    A vaccine was not discovered in 2 weeks or 2 months.
    6 feet distancing does not protect a person from spit in the air.
    3. I noticed which of my preps were used and if used, the rate of usage and made note of them.
    4. While other people are back to whizzing around, running stop signs/red lights and tailgating their way to happiness, I am changing my stocks and today I added another feature.
    5. This is the most important change. A couple of years ago, I started a file on the computer. For the car, I would list what servicing I needed in the future by different components and what I would want to buy in advance. It was more than recording that I bought a set of tires at a certain date and a certain mileage. I had a separate pro-active action plan for the car. When would the tires need replacement. What mileage would I do the next transmission fluid drain and need to have the filter on hand. I would never have to guess when to do some maintenance and run around at the last minute buying parts. I could order them and have them delivered to the home.
    Today, I do have a separate action file for the car. Now, my long term calendar has on it dates of when to re-order things consumed during the epidemic. I won't be buying too early, too late and could watch for sales when reading this to-do list.

2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

How much gas do you have in storage? In a real SHTF situation gas will be the first thing that runs out, no need to worry about maintenance on a car with an empty gas tank.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

My vehicle has a maintenance minder that tells me oil life and other required maintenance based on mileage. Tires aren't much of an issue for most people but I go through a full set every 1.5 years. I never ran low of anything I stock due to the pandemic. Didn't ever dip into the hurricane supplies although I did add to them.

Kentguy likes this.
  4. Westexas

Westexas

We have two Pedelecs and a bicycle trailer. We also have a portable solar generator to charge the batteries.

Our preps are geared towards long term collapse. We live less than 4 miles from water supplies. One of the lakes is loaded with fish. I can load all of my fishing gear into the trailer, in fact, I did that all last year. Next week, I plan on experimenting with ways to cook Carp. Definitely an underutilized protein source.

Working with infectious diseases for over 40 years has led me to believe that COVID 19 is nothing compared to what’s coming.

cbetts1 and Von Hayes like this.
  5. bdcochran

bdcochran

20 gallons. Because of changed government regulations, it is rotated every 6 months. I am in the process this week.

Your "real" transportation will be a bicycle with attached game carrier after shtf.

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I stocked up on gas during the lock down when it was $.99/gallon, filled every can I could get my hands on. The last time it was that cheap was the summer of 1999, just before Y2K according to my tags.

I was going up to my cabin for 4 days every week and stopping at an out of the way Costco on the way home to fill up with gas and stock up available supplies.

I filled up on canned chicken and tuna from Costco along with almonds and olive oil. For awhile the chicken and tuan was rationed during the lockdown but you can buy as much as you want now. I eat a lot of chicken and tuna and almonds due to my keto diet so it gets rotated often. I could live on it for a couple months with what I have now.

7. Judge Bean

Judge Bean Previously Guss

Go easy on the tuna (mercury). https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and...ou-need-know-about-mercury-fish-and-shellfish

Westexas likes this.
  8. Redeemed

Redeemed

Yours might be, not mine. If I have to go anywhere in that situation it will either be by truck or tractor. (Mechanical diesel powered)
    But my biggest issue likely won’t be going to get stuff. It will be trying to retain what other people want.

9. N4LP

N4LP

I thought I had a good med kit set aside in case of an earthquake, but then a few weeks ago I burned the hell out of the back of my hand. 2nd degree burns (steam burn, a.k.a. scald) across 3 fingers, 1st degree on the last one. I quickly found out I didn't really have a good med kit for something like that. I was out of bandages before the blisters were gone. I just didn't realize how quickly you go through those things with a burn, because I haven't had a serious burn in over 20 years. On the positive side I discovered hydrogel bandages/sheets. Those things are amazing for burns. Either ways I'm now much better stocked on stuff like that. I'm much better stocked up on everything medical now. It was eye opening.

cbetts1, Jump, NoStress and 1 other person like this.
  10. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Plenty of gauze, tape and sterile saline wash to keep the wound cleansed is important. Then of course you will want enough for more than one event, if you are in survival mode injuries will happen on a regular basis. Plenty of large band-aids will be essential.

11. Kentguy

Kentguy

I have just completed a complete inventory of all my prep needs. I feel "almost" 100% that we have what we need if things do turn south.
    Food - Wide variety between canned, dried, powdered, fresh, etc.
    Power - gasoline, propane, generator, batteries, small solar power unit.
    Clothing - for all seasons.
    Personal hygiene supplies.
    Secured and updated the house - Roof, doors & windows, to-do list is up to date.
    First aid supplies
    Cars are all mechanically running perfect - Spare parts on the shelf
    "Special tools" - for those who want to come calling at 2:00am.
    And last but not least... Duct Tape.
    I am sure there are a few more but we work on this almost every day.

12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

one crisis is the same an another in regards to my general survival system. That said, I have a fixed system(home) and a mobile system.

13. Aceman

Aceman

I was actually on the verge of a significant food purchase (stored/dried) that I missed. Prioces obviously now way "up". Oh well.

Having worked in public health I'll tell you what was said about every other bug I heard from Pan-Avian, to H1N1 and Mersa to Ebola: If you don't want to catch something - don't go out! And they did not mean "except to the grocery store, liquor store, or anywhere else. People have contamination fails all over the place. Thus being able to stay in your own quarantine for the duration is the only real solution. Had we all SERIOUSLY locked down for 60 days this would be a non-thing (I still think we ridiculously over did it. But yeah....

I was also low on TP. That was close to tragic! Lesson: dry goods like TP, paper towels, and cleaners should be stacked deep. they will be used eventually.

Kentguy likes this.
  14. cbetts1

cbetts1

This: ''Working with infectious diseases for over 40 years has led me to believe that COVID 19 is nothing compared to what’s coming''.

Naturally or intentionally released, when something big comes all the stores will be closed. No long lines, closed. No shipping, no meat processing,nothing. In some places power will be lost. Water and sewage treatment will go down in some places. Within a couple weeks it will be Armageddon. If you have food and water, people will be coming to get some, including the government.

I would guess that over 90% of the population would be hurting after two weeks.

SDDL-UP likes this.
  15. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Add one: 6. Misinformation is rampant

16. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

I stacked TP awaiting the ever forthcoming Wuhan attack.
    No Wuhan came.
    Willing to trade TP for Gates Jab.
    With savior from Wuhan, I've no need for TP.

17. Bradley T

Bradley T

Watch gas storage- modern gasoline is crap when you buy it, no telling the foulness it becomes six months later. Use a very well-sealed storage container!

18. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Another portion of my edible landscape came on line this year, I have my first (small) crop of hazelnuts. 8-10 years in the making
    Pecans, chestnuts and butternuts are still in process.............almonds as well.

19. Geoponics

Geoponics

I have stocked up for 2 months but it is almost running out, looks like I need to go back to costco again since I didn't expect this pandemic will last this long.

Westexas likes this.
  20. Westexas

Westexas

We stay stocked up. Bought a 2.5 cu. ft. Freezer back in June that we can run off our solar generator. I’m currently stocking it with mostly catfish.
    We live less than 4 miles from a lake that’s loaded with catfish. I’d like to get at least sixty servings by the end of October.

We were not as prepared in the respirator category as we should have been. We had a few N95’s, 2 P99’s, and 3 half masks. That’s now been rectified. 3 full face, 5 half masks, particulate filters, and CBRN cartridges/canisters.

Overkill for this virus, although I am concerned about synergism between SARS CoV2
    and seasonal flu. I’m much more concerned about what follows this.