The End of an Era?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by s&wfan, Jun 5, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Wait a minute - give the guy a break 'cause I feel the same way about practicality, style and weight - but not necessarily in that order.

"Essentially equal" means what it says: "It goes bang, it can be concealed, it has MAYBE a slight ergonomic variation" - but that is really the gist of the "Essential-part".

When weight is thrown into the computation - I find a Glock walks runs away with the light weight PLUS their inherent reliability and the fact that a Glock is "Hot outta the holster" and NO safeties to worry about - (Is it UP to turn it ON or OFF and is ON turning the safety ON --- or does ON mean that the gun able to go BANG ---> I'm so-o-o---- confused").

Aren't we all looking for reliability in our 'equalizer' and we need to believe in that 'equalizer' because for whatever reason and circumstances, you are vying for your life here.....

............... just sayin'.................

slym2none likes this.
  2. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

I'm a steel frame kinda guy, but I wouldn't mind a plastic frame if it had a sweet trigger in it.
    Unfortunately, when you go with a plastic frame you almost always get a POS spongy trigger with it. That, I'm just not going to warm up to.

Tony

3. J-Doo

J-Doo

When I seriously got into pistols I was all about the plastic fantastic however over the last couple of years I find myself leaning toward steel frames. Whether that’s 1911’s, Sig P series or CZ’s. I definitely lean toward polymer for carry but I don’t mind carrying a small revolver like the Ruger or Smith.

On a side note, I was heart broken because I lost out on a blued SP101 with nice carved wood grip inserts. I went to pick it up today at my LGS and someone beet me to it. That was depressing.

4. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Sig Sauer shutting down the German factory is a non-event from a manufacturing standpoint. Over 90 percent of Sig pistols are produced at the New Hampshire factory. Every new design for the past 20 plus years was designed in the US. Including the 320, 365, Sig Pro, MPX. The German plant was only building high priced boutique variations of the old designs. Some people are clearly upset about Sig losing it's German heritage but the company is more successful than ever.

R_P_K_ and boilergonzo like this.
  5. Chui

Chui

For a combat pistol the quality of the trigger is important but not nearly as much as target shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deputydave and LinuxLover like this.
  6. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I’d be lying if I said that there isn’t a significant value to the ability to toss a 10+1 capacity 9mm pistol into the pocket of my gym shorts and go about my business without a care in the world. By the same token, I would be lying to say that there isn’t a certain amount of confidence that comes from the feeling you get from the heft of a service sized, non-polymer hand cannon.

To me, polymer and 9mm seem to go together, and are best served in diminutive packages such as the P365, Hellcat, and Shield. They are last ditch, disposable weapons, meant for deep concealment and comfort.

A fighting gun really should be of a more potent caliber than 9mm, and should be a full sized pistol (think Glock 19 and larger). It should have good sights, a good trigger, and be capable of being used to beat your adversary to death with if necessary.

There is room in the world for both types, and I would rather go into harms way backed by men who are competent with what THEY choose to carry, than to be backed by those who are forced to carry what I prefer.

boilergonzo and SargeMO like this.
  7. CMG

CMG

Remington's Nylon 66 was introduced in 1959, sixty-one years later there are still a fair number of them "holding up".

8. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Years ago I carried a Colt Commander as my EDC with 7+1 rounds of 45 acp and it weighed 35 ounces. I switched to a Glock 36 with a +1 Pierce magazine extender for 7+1 rounds of 45 acp and it weighs 27 ounces. The Glock doesn't rust, is dimensionally smaller and lighter and conceals easier. These are facts that count for me. I will always hang on to my Commander as a range gun, but the Glock suite my needs better.

Deputydave and Ahmid like this.
  9. norcalAF

norcalAF

I'm mostly in the Glocks for carry, and metal frame range fun group, except my Kahr MK40, I dig carrying that little cannon, though IWB not pocket as it is "dense."

Rick James45 likes this.
  10. bac1023

bac1023

Well the only German Sigs that should go up as a result of just this are the Mastershop models.

The old stamped steel models have been out of production for many years already.

I’m amazed at the amount of people who don’t understand that.

boilergonzo likes this.
  11. dbuck47

dbuck47

My take:

1. Metal frame semi autos will continue to have a significant presence in the marketplace for 20 years at least.

2. The 9mm will continue to be the primary caliber for the same period.

3. Polymer frame, striker fired pistols will increase in market share until phasers are invented.( mostly tongue in cheek)

My reasoning:

1. Gun owners who are 45-50 will be active in the market for another 20 years. They still have some connection to the metal frame era, and will continue to desire those firearms. You can still walk in most well stocked gun stores and find at least replicas of the Colt Single Action Army. The number of 1911 based firearms available is greater than ever. While per unit cost, part consistency and inventory, and manual of arms are major factors for institutional purchases, these factors are less important to individual consumers.
    2. The 9mm has been the world standard for around 80 years, and that won’t change soon, if for no other reason than vast inventory. While US law enforcement use has vacillated over the last 40 years, world wide military use has not. Smaller caliber, hyper velocity long arms may develop, but I think its a ways off for mainstream defensive handguns. I don’t think they are a fad, but don’t think they will replace the 9 soon.
    3. For many new shooters, a Glock or equivalent is their first handgun, and the first gun they think of. As their interest grows, they may discover other types, but often just get more versions of what they know. I think the dividing line is somewhere around 30. Someone born in 1990 has pretty much grown up in a Glock ( substitute your favorite polymer) dominated market, and to look for something else takes interest and initiative. They may be influenced by older mentors to try something different, but for them “ pistol” and “ Glock “ are synonymous just as “ revolver “ and “ Smith &Wesson” was for us old coots in the 1970’s.

12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Beretta and CZ seem to be going strong with metal framed pistols. Even Walther has a steel framed PPQ.

13. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

By then we will all be either using phasers, or we are back to bow and arrows.

Redeemed and Deputydave like this.
  14. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Well, revolvers are still around.

lazarus66, CAcop, Chui and 1 other person like this.
  15. jmohme

jmohme

To me, plastic guns are just ideal for carry for many reasons, but they in no way take the place of metal frame guns for other uses.

One of the. reasons that I choose to carry my Glock, is that I just don't care if it gets scuffed up with holster wear.
    I also know it is not going to rust, but so what if it does.
    All I care is that I can shoot it well and it is reliable. Thats it.

Now go to my gun room and open my "fun range bag". The only plastic in there is my 22/45 and my ear protection.

The era of steel framed handguns marches on.......

16. norcalAF

norcalAF

I'll be making some strategic time capsules for my daughter to make sure she and hers are well armed in the land of bow and arrows lol!

17. Pluto57

Pluto57

Probably neither. None of that ancient technology for Kirk.

18. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I go with all 3, steel frame SIGS, 1911 and polymer. It's the best of all 3 worlds.

CAcop likes this.
  19. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I guess transparent aluminum a metal, right?

20. DrewBone

DrewBone

Never allow yourself to confuse eras with "trends".

Older technologies have a habit of resurfacing when more modern manufacturing methods, designs, and materials fail - because new does not always equate to "better".

The phrase "They sure don't build 'em like they used to!" comes to mind...